Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
macdonge

Default Stumped on my first Flathead Build

I’m stumped & could use some ideas on where to turn (no pun intended). Was in the middle of assembly of my ‘39 Merc block, bored .060” over and crank main & rod journals machined .010” under. I installed the cam and crank and the latter turned fine in the new bearings. I installed the valves & adjusted the clearances and the crank still turned just fine. I installed the rods & pistons, timing cover and crank pulley and the crank still turned just fine. Then I left it sit for 10 days while I went out of town. On my recent return I fitted the flywheel (taking pains to ensure the flywheel bolts did not contact the rear main seal housing) and then, while fitting the clutch disc & diaphragm, found that the crank would not turn!

Other pertinent information: Main bearing clearances, crank endplay & rod journal/bearing clearances are in spec (all liberally lubed with Redline assembly lube); piston rings are cast iron with gaps of .012” - .015” (pistons & cylinders liberally lubed with engine oil).

I’m afraid to put more torque on the crankshaft bolt for fear I’ll strip the threads in the nose of the crank or shear the pulley key. Is it possible that it’s just ‘stiction’ caused from sitting & at 65 my arms just don’t have the strength to break through it (hard to believe)? Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0987 (2).jpg (83.0 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1047 (2).jpg (57.2 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1046 (2).jpg (59.5 KB, 114 views)
macdonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #2
leon bee

Default Re: Stumped on my first Flathead Build

Does it move with a pry bar at the ring gear?
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:22 PM   #3
Ronnieroadster

Remove the last part you installed the flywheel will it now turn? If it turns look at the flywheel surface crankshaft side it may be an interference with the oil pump idler gear cover or the cover bolts.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

x 2 on the bar ,a tight engine could cause the crank bolt to shear ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:28 PM   #5
Fordestes

Check your flywheel . from the pic it looks like maybe a late aftermarket flywheel and early engine ?
I have not ran into any no turn problems due to a flywheel being mis- matched but nothing surprises me about this 70 plus year old iron and some of the off shore parts. I would reverse procedure till it becomes obvious , my way of thinking is , it aint gonna change till you start removing and inspecting ,sounds like you already checked all but the flywheel/clutch assembly.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
macdonge

Ronnieroadster (and Fordestes) get the boobie prize! Had a close look with a flashlight down between the flywheel and oil pump idler gear cover and - sure enough - two of the cover bolts are contacting the flywheel! It is a PRW Industries piece (Placentia CA), supposedly made for "32-48" flatheads and bought to accept a 10" clutch & mate to a T5. I have the (good) original flywheel so now will have to find someone who can redrill it to accept the 10" clutch. Thanks you guys! I'll sleep easier tonight!
Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 PM   #7
Fordestes

macdonge, what is the weight of that flywheel ? I am going to a lighter flywheel and I am shopping around to see what is available.
Old 08-21-2019, 05:16 AM   #8
macdonge

When my wife isn’t looking, I’ll drag the bathroom scale out to the garage this aft and weigh both for you. Stay tuned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
tubman

Always good to see a brave man. Just don't get caught. I still cringe when I think about the time my ex-wife came home unexpectedly and found me using the dishwasher to clean a couple of Triumph motorcycle jugs. (It worked good, too!)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #10
Fordestes

I was just wondering the weight , I tried to find it on the web but they don't show a part number for that flywheel , Their catalog just goes back to 1955, do you have a listing for the different flathead flywheels ? I am thinking you got a defective one or maybe a later design, the price range isn't too bad compared to the ones I have been finding ,I assume the wheels are steel s.f.i. cert.
Thanks
Old 08-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
macdonge

Fordestes: The PRW flywheel (Speedway #91015627) is steel, SFI certified & weighs 35.8 lbs. The original 11" truck flywheel I have weighs 34.4 lbs. Beast that it is, I thought for sure it would weigh more than the aftermarket piece. Goes to show that they should have removed more material from the front face to avoid the interference I encountered! I'm afraid I don't have the listing you refer to.

Gotta go put the scale back in the house before "she" comes home!
Old 08-21-2019, 03:58 PM   #12
Fordestes

No problem, Many thanks , "Speedway " tells me a lot , I didn't know who made speedway flywheels , I ruled the heavy speedway out a while back , I about decided a Centerforce or a Ram Clutches brand will suit my needs . the specs on the two are around 27 pounds , Thanks for you efforts , Good luck with your project , Keep posted on your project.
Fordestes
Old 08-21-2019, 07:49 PM   #13
jetmek

If you are unable to cut the flywheel for clearance you mite consider counter sinking the upper idler cover holes and using countersunk socket head bolts
Old 08-21-2019, 10:16 PM   #14
Newc

Hey; I heated my ring gear in her oven and froze the flywheel in her freezer! newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 11:26 PM   #15
Fordestes

You may want to compare the crank shaft mounting face with the old flywheel , there is a difference in the early and late flywheels, sometimes causing problems with the starter engagement . some say they have not had any problems. but it is along way back into the flywheel after it is installed in the vehicle . just thought I would pass this little bit of info along to you.
Old 08-21-2019, 11:29 PM   #16
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Remove the last part you installed the flywheel will it now turn? If it turns look at the flywheel surface crankshaft side it may be an interference with the oil pump idler gear cover or the cover bolts.
Ronnieroadster

Yep
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:45 PM   #17
kiwitony

Great Looking engine, and I'm pleased you sorted the problem. On the upsetting she who must be obeyed years ago i used the oven to heat up a bakerlite cam gear , what a stink, nearly had to stump up for a new stove. it tainted the roasts for some time after haha.
kiwitony is offline   Reply With Quote