Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: Mufflers for dual exhaust

I had a straight pipe on it (gutted muffler ) that was a little louder you can hear that on my web site .If you do this make the muffler on the by pass then the loud exhaust goes straight through . Or you could make the join were its harder for the muffled EX to go through .Like off the bend . It is louder with the rear window open and driving against a concrete wall you get a great echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMREX View Post
I like that idea! Is there a big differance or just noticeable?
Great idea!

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 07-13-2011 at 03:15 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 05:02 PM   #22
phartman

I have Smithy's on my '61 inliner and Brockman's on the '34 21-stud. The Smithy's exit at the rear and the '34s exit just in front of the rear wheels. The '61 has a great tone, very happy. The Brockman's have already been changed once. I started with their shorty steelpacs, and I gotta tell you, they are LOUD! And in fairness to Brockman's, they told me that and advised me to get a longer muffler, but I didn't listen. But after a couple weeks, I reordered their intermediate length 'glasspacs, and they are better. But with the exhaust coming out the sides, it's still not quiet riding along in the cab. Still pretty noisy.

If you want quiet and you go with the Brockman's, I'd use the longer of the 'glasspacs.

They are some of the nicest people I've ever dealt with, and very reasonably priced. And there isn't anything wrong with their product. I think it's more a function of the side exit of my pipes. And I'd have to say the quality is quite a bit better than the Smithy's.

Just my 2 cents. But what do I know? According to my ex-wife, I'm a complete and utter fool....
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:53 PM   #23
Deuce Man

If you really want to make friends with your neighbors, and like a real crackle sound to your exhaust try two different length glasspacks. might as well block off the heatriser under the intake at the same time !
Deuce Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:16 AM   #24
Bassman/NZ

I'm a fan of 22" Smithys. Nice burble, no rap, and dang, I got sick of loud exhausts. Now I like to hear the engine running, with the exhaust being background. Exhaust noise sure gets wearisome (to me anyways) on a long trip.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 AM   #25
Bassman/NZ

Flathead Ted.... you are a true hooligan! That is the best thing I've seen in a long, long time.....
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #26
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

Ha Ha Bassman .Thanks .I first used this when I was about 17 .1966 , in your neck of the woods .I used the butterfly choke of the top of a Stromberg on a MK 2 English Zephyr . On my 34 I had a muffler on it like a smithy what we call a coby Glass packed .I was heading to the motorway /free way when the car was running poorly with no power I headed home looked the car over and thought the Flathead had swallowed some road kill , because hanging out of the exhaust pipe was all this furry stuff .I pulled on it and it seemed to go for miles .it turned out that the muffler had disintegrated so I ran it gutted after that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
Flathead Ted.... you are a true hooligan! That is the best thing I've seen in a long, long time.....

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 07-14-2011 at 07:47 PM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 08:55 AM   #27
Flat Ernie

If you want quieter - make sure you run your pipes all the way to the back bumper and use the longer mufflers. I too prefer the Brockman steel-paks. My '36 pickup had Red's headers and Brockman 22" steel-paks with tailpipes to the rear bumper - very nice sound. Not loud at all and everyone commented on it sounding good. My '40 has Fentons with Brockman 12" steel-paks & tailpipes to the rear bumper - almost perfect. The Fentons mellow the sound a bit more than tubular headers will. With the Fentons, I'm sorely tempted to go straight through, and probably will.
Both are 1.75" pipes all the way out the back.

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM   #28
raceron1120

I think Brockman and Porters are very similar sound-wise. Both are steelpacks.

I put dual Porters on my Yblock from Clark Babler (Porter). I've heard them on flatheads too, nice. A very sturdy well built-in-USA product. And Clark is great to work with.

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #29
Scott H in Wheaton

Anyone have a close-up picture of how they installed the muffler hanger(s) on the Smitty mufflers?

Working with a 1938 frame

I got the complete kit from Red's Headers. It sure is nice and the headers and the pipes fit very well. I need to tweak the inlet and outlet of the mufflers a little bit, maybe 15 degrees for a better straight shot on the pipes. The kit instructions say to add the hangers to the inlet of the muffler and can be installed either facing up or down, but I'm not sure on where exactly to put them on the frame.
A photo would be appreciated!

The front of the muffler:
muffler hanger.jpg

The tail pipe (fits nice!)
tail pipe hanger.jpg

Last edited by Scott H in Wheaton; 04-04-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #30
Robert Dip

Scott H…Last year I worked very closely with Jim at Red’s headers. There was an issue with the dual set-up that the tailpipes were not correct. Together, we resolved this issue, however, on the supplied Smithy’s 22”, it just causes more problems in fitting as you are probably experiencing. These 22” mufflers go in the direct placement of the original Ford muffler, but the Ford piece is much shorter. Having a shorter muffler, say 18”, it would remove the problem of having the clamps jammed in the frame cross members area….front and back area where tight angle members meet. I crawled under my ’35 and took some photos of your questioned area. Personally I do not like the conventional metal hardware brackets supplied since I try to make the installation and brackets look original. The blue rubber donuts supplied with these brackets are a direct replacement with the original Ford. ( Black would have been nicer ) What I am doing is using all of the original ’35 Ford mounting brackets. I bought from Mac’s the replacement rubber doughnuts and found that they were rather expensive ( but, they are black ) These repros and the blue ones from Reds are a similar fit to the originals.
As for the fitting thru the frame brace, yes, you have to heat and tweak the pipes to fit centered in the hole. I use the original clamp to just hold the pipes and a separate clamp to attach the muffler to the pipe. It’s all just too cramped to make a neat job where the system won’t be banging on the frame members. I use the illustration of the muffler system from the ’35 – ’36 Ford book ( a must have ) to locate all of the clamps in the proper area. For the driver side, I purchased on e-Pay a complete original set
( lucky to find as Mac’s no longer supplies these repro parts ) and all can be used save for one that needs to be mirrored to fit ( cut & re-weld ). Hopes all of this helps. Maybe someone else can tune in to Jim at Red’s to extend the pipes and supply shorter mufflers….Smithy’s shortest one at 22” is too long…..Robert
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001rt.jpg (45.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 003rt.jpg (47.6 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 004rt.jpg (57.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 005rt.jpg (63.2 KB, 49 views)
Robert Dip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:43 AM   #31
Scott H in Wheaton

Robert,
Thanks so much for that detailed explanation! Exactly what I was looking for.
Scott H in Wheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #32
Flat Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Dip View Post
Maybe someone else can tune in to Jim at Red’s to extend the pipes and supply shorter mufflers….Smithy’s shortest one at 22” is too long…..Robert
That's why I recommend Brockman Steel Packs - you can get them in just about any length - I have some 12" that are perfect with Fenton headers - maybe on the mild side.

I've heard straight-through exhaust with stock manifolds and that sounds great as well.

I think with tubular headers, like Red's, you need some muffler....I'd go short though -the Smithys, in my mind, are too quiet and 'muffled'.

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:42 AM   #33
silentc1321

I want some brockman mellowtones steel packs. Went to my muffler shop and he said that he has never heard of brockman mellowtones. When I said they were steel packs he said I didn't want those he said they are to heavy. I want long ones he told me I should might as well run a turbo muffler then.
Has anyone on here ran a long brockman steel pack
silentc1321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #34
Jakno

Red's headers are still not available. Anyone using something else they are happy with ?. For 35 V8 1/2T pickup.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:16 AM   #35
1963turnerjohn

Using Brockman 22" steelpacs on the 41 with duals
My 41 uses the factory exhaust manifolds and had custom pipes - this is how the car was setup in 41 when it was hopped up - I prefer using the factory manifolds, proper look and no messing around on clearance issues.
The Brockmans are very nice cruising ( you csn easily enjoy the big band music ) and the steelpacs wake up on throttle application and mske great noise and very minimal rapping - they are the cats pajamas!
1963turnerjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:47 AM   #36
KGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentc1321 View Post
I want some brockman mellowtones steel packs. Went to my muffler shop and he said that he has never heard of brockman mellowtones. When I said they were steel packs he said I didn't want those he said they are to heavy. I want long ones he told me I should might as well run a turbo muffler then.
Has anyone on here ran a long brockman steel pack
Van Pelt has Brockman Mello Tones

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...d-mufflers.htm
KGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #37
36tudordeluxe

Got Brockman Mellow Tone steel packs, love 'em
36tudordeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote