Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
Mikko_

Default 1953 V8 carb choices

I have some issues with the stock Holley/Ford 94 on my '53 Customline.

When it sits for more than a day I need to prime it with some gas to start it, same thing when it has been driven a longer distance and is warmed up.
This seems pretty strange to me since I'm running an electric fuel pump, no matter how long I let it pump before I crank it, it just won't start.

But if I drive it and let it sit for just an hour or two it starts fine.

Also, my oil smells of gasoline so I suspect the power valve is leaking.

Since the carb has been pretty butchered over the years with threads destroyed and oversized screws put in to solve the problem I'm thinking of getting another carb in better condition.

Should I go with one of the new Holley 94's available?
Or go with something like a new Stromberg 97 or even a 4bbl carb?

The last 2 will also require another distributor than the stock Loadamatic as I understand it.

What would you do if you were in my situation?
I want to have a somewhat reliable car to enjoy
Mikko_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
tubman

Default Re: 1953 V8 carb choices

The fact that you are in Sweden complicates things a bit. Although they used to make 97's with a port for the Load-a-Matic, I don't know if the new ones have that option. That being said, the 94 is a newer and probably better design than the 97, and since it was what your car came with originally, a replacement 94 seems to be your best choice. If you were in the states, it would be a no-brainer; just send your carb to "Charlie ny" and he would fix you right up, but with shipping, duties, and customs, I don't know if that would be practical. I seem to remember that your car has an automatic transmission; that may complicate things a bit as the carburetor may be different from a standard transmission car (dashpot, kickdown linkage, etc.).

We have a member in Sweden, "flatheadmurre", who could help, but I haven't seen him around lately. He was last on the forum on July 3 of this year. I exchanged emails with him a couple of weeks ago, and got the impression that he has been overwhelmed with business. You might try to send him a PM or use the email function. The guy knows a lot and may be able to give you a local contact.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:33 AM   #3
Mikko_

I don't know who "flatheadmurre" is but I do know of another flathead guy here in Sweden that I can give a phone call, might be the best option.

And yes, my car has an automatic trans.

I've been looking at the new 94's available at Shoebox Central but don't know how the quality is.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:48 AM   #4
drolston

Not saying you do not have a carburetor problem, but you may also have an ignition problem. Having to sit for an hour after running sounds like the coil may be going bad. As they age coils start to break down as heat builds up from internal resistance, further increasing resistance and reducing spark intensity, to the point that ignition fails.

Check a spark from a plug wire to ground when the engine and coil are cold. You should see s blue spark that will jump half an inch. If not, replace the coil. Check it again after a hard run to see if you are still getting that strong blue spark. If it is yellow and will not jump half an inch, the coil needs to be replaced.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:57 AM   #5
Mikko_

The coil is new but don't know anything about the quality of it so definitely worth checking that too.
Old 09-10-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
Ford Freak

I have a new 94 from Dennis Carpenter. In the 6yrs. I've had it, all I've done was adj. the idle a tad. Works great! - F F
Ford Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 05:14 PM   #7
scicala

Charlie ny on this forum may have a carb correct for a '53. That would save sending your carb back and forth. Sounds like your carb is in rough shape too.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 09:34 PM   #8
38 coupe

I have two friends who have purchased new 8BA Holley 94 carburetors and they worked nicely, but not any nicer than a carefully home rebuilt carburetor made from original parts that still have their threads in them...
In your situation I would probably pay the price for a new 94.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2021, 11:01 PM   #9
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
I have two friends who have purchased new 8BA Holley 94 carburetors and they worked nicely, but not any nicer than a carefully home rebuilt carburetor made from original parts that still have their threads in them...
In your situation I would probably pay the price for a new 94.
One thing that can be problematic with a "home rebuilt" is a worn throttle shaft. If they are worn beyond a certain amount, they will become a source of a vacuum leak. I have purchased oversized shafts and reamed the base out to accept them and it has worked OK. I did this before I had spent a lot of time here and got the oversized shafts from Mac's (Ecklers) and had to cobble the new shaft assembly together using the new shafts from Mac's and the throttle lever from the original. Now, I would check with "Charlie ny" for a source of higher quality pieces.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:07 AM   #10
Mikko_

Thanks for all the replies.
Seems like the new 94's are ok.
Old 09-11-2021, 02:07 AM   #11
Mikko_

Double post, ignore.
Old 09-11-2021, 01:41 PM   #12
corvette8n

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/member.php?u=63096
Info on the other Sweden member
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:13 PM   #13
rotorwrench

The 1952 & 53 Fords used the Holley EAB carburetor which is a 94 type but it uses a bit different body and air filter than 8BA and earlier carbs. All of the 94 models have a power valve that can be damaged and leak fuel out of the float bowl. The modern replacement power valves don't always fit well. They have to seat properly or they will leak even if in good condition. Charlie ny on the forum has a fix for ill fitting power valves. Check the last post on this link.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=229543
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 04:15 PM   #14
nickthebandit

Just contact Charlie NY here on the Ford Barn. Charlie is the go-to person for 94 type carburetors.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 01:55 AM   #15
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
We have a member in Sweden, "flatheadmurre", who could help, but I haven't seen him around lately. He was last on the forum on July 3 of this year. I exchanged emails with him a couple of weeks ago, and got the impression that he has been overwhelmed with business. You might try to send him a PM or use the email function. The guy knows a lot and may be able to give you a local contact.

Denny same here, been a while since talking on pm's (not that we were close friends). Mikko, Murre would be a great guy to connect with on that side of the pond. Worth a try.

Might also consider going with a mechanical advance dizzy and a 97. Charlie can help with both. Not sure gmcbubba's (Jim) current statis.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-12-2021 at 02:08 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:25 AM   #16
richard crow

how much alcohol is in your fuel. the problem you are having is quite common here in the u.s.a.try a carb insulator before starting the car remove the air cleaner look in the carb .work the throttle linkage see if you see fuel squrt. if no carb is draining down flooding the eng before we had this new fuel we never had this problem .
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #17
Mikko_

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 09-12-2021, 09:43 AM   #18
big job

we bought one from Dennis Carpenter for a EAB 1953 fresh rebuild. Ran like a watch right out of the box. I know the price is a little strong for a 2 barrel but in the long run
the job is done. Today's carb kits are not what they used to be like everything else.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote