Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-25-2021, 07:32 AM   #521
sugarmaker

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Ford Folks,
The #2 engine and transmission are back in the truck! Thanks to the help form John K. who stopped in to visit and I put him to work. Good to have it set in position. Still many little moves to make. Finishing up the attachment features like cotter pins and such.
Hope to have the starter repaired Monday.
I did get the fuel pump, manifolds and the carb in place.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-25-2021 at 01:56 PM.
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:39 AM   #522
Mart

Good work, Chris. I was once told, if you want something doing, ask a busy person. You personify that statement. You have a lot of things going on, but you are sure getting that old truck project moving right along.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:09 AM   #523
sugarmaker

Mart,
Thanks! Appreciate the words.

Folks.
So I did have some time to play with the 32. Got the tranny in neutral, rolling the engine over with the crank it has a awful noise. Well doesnt sound normal?? Humm what could be the cause of that? Cant think of what I did wrong?
PTO Gear might be hitting?
Almost sound like I broke something? Could I have broken the cam shaft? Accidentally bottomed a valve out on the lifting bolts in the spark plug holes??
Couldnt stand it Had to go back and find out.
No plenty of clearance for the valves.
I then looked back in the transmission and noted that the PTO gear was yes slightly engaged. Found a stick of wood and propped the clutch forward. cranked the engine by hand and the noise was gone. The new lever that I had biult for the PTO engagement was binding on the case and the pins. Opened these up for clearance and the PTO is now fully disengaged. That should solve that mystery!
Lots of cotter pins and details cleaned up. Need to get that pesky water pump apart tomorrow.
Question does the crank pulley need to come off to get the fan belt between it and the two "U" bolts in front of it? (using the wifes phone to get some pictures for you)

Some sheet metal damage at some point along the way:

Some spares in various conditions:

Two more big chunks!

Regards,
Chris
Thanks for checking on me
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-26-2021, 02:42 AM   #524
Mart

Chris.
You can't take the pulley off. You will need to raise the motor to slip the belt in, or remove the U bolts.
I have no 4 cylinder experience, but am just speaking in general terms. As built, a fan belt change would have been possible. So you have to consider why the clearance is too tight now.

Engine mounts not tall enough?
Engine/trans not back far enough?
Incorrect pulley?
Crossmember pushed back?
Some other mismatch of parts?

You might just have to accept it is what it is and carry tools that will allow lifting the motor if a belt change becomes necessary out on the road. That said, the new belt you will be fitting should last a long time and will show signs of distress before a complete failure.

Mart.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #525
DavidG

As built, there was (just) enough clearance to remove/install the fan belt in a '32 passenger car/commercial vehicle chassis. But the upside-down U bolts for the front spring are thicker on the big truck chassis which appears to be enough to eliminate that possibility. When assembled initially back in 1932, the engine was complete, including the fan belt, when it was installed in the chassis. (Service engineering, i.e. ensuring vehicles could be readily serviced post production, did not exist in those days.)

Rather than raise the engine to remove/replace the fan belt. it might be easier to temporarily remove the front spring U-bolts.

Last edited by DavidG; 09-26-2021 at 06:11 AM.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #526
jimTN

Is that a wire or metal line across the top of your crossmember?
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 06:17 AM   #527
DavidG

My comment above is predicated on the assumption that the shank on your crank pulley is as far rearward as is possible, namely that the notch in the back edge of the shank is bottomed out against the front of the Woodruff key on the crankshaft. It appears to be so judging from your photo.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:20 AM   #528
sugarmaker

Folks,
Humm? Dont like either of the options for the fan belt. Lifting the engine is probably not going to happen easily. I will look at the U bolt removal. (sounds painful too!) I also may try getting the belt down through the gap, gently, with water as lube?? May be just enough compress-ability to allow that to happen? Or not?

The pulley is the cast one from the engine #1 that was in the truck. It is rather short in length to the intermediate sleeve, and if the crank nut was removed, I think it might come off???
Engine and trans seem to be in the correct locations. All the bolts line up and are in position.

Jim, The wire going across the frame is for the right front turn signal.

So we will move forward with the 32 project. Adding fluids and things today. Maybe get the transmission shifter in place again! Whooo hooo!

Temp is down to 50 F in our area, Nice fall days! Temp in shop has been 65 F with out the heat on yet. Pretty comfortable at this time of year, even to work a little later too.

Non Ford related:
Big doin's here next weekend. Fall in Love with Maple event. Oct 2 and 3rd. 10:00 to 4:00.
wagon rides, apple cider pressing, tractor display, antique cars and trucks, stationary engines, pumpkins, Honey, and Maple syrup! Should be fun. This is our second year for this event. Had a beautiful Model A show up yesterday. Opps, I told him the wrong date.
You can find out about this on line by Googling Casbohm Maple and Honey. Either facebook or website.

So I have to get the 32 out side and the shop ready for visitors too. Yikes!

Hope thinks are good in Ford land! You guys are the best!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-26-2021 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:48 AM   #529
DavidG

Chris,

I'm not familiar with the post-production two-piece pulleys as I only use the one-piece production versions, but if the joint between the two pieces is in just the right place, the pulley portion may well clear the back of the U bolts. I'd certainly try it first before the other two time and effort consuming options. Likely that's point of having a two-piece pulley in the first place.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:59 AM   #530
woodburnranch

There are v belts available which consist of short segments interlocked together. This allows you to construct a belt of any length which can be taken apart for installation. They are pricey but can be worth the cost.
woodburnranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:22 AM   #531
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodburnranch View Post
There are v belts available which consist of short segments interlocked together. This allows you to construct a belt of any length which can be taken apart for installation. They are pricey but can be worth the cost.
We used these belts in the hvac trade as a temporary fix when a belt was needed. They did seem to last at least until the correct belt was installed.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 09:54 AM   #532
Mart

One of those segmented belts might be a good idea to carry as a spare...
Old 09-26-2021, 10:50 AM   #533
Bored&Stroked

I use those segmented belts for all sorts of other things, but given that they are typically a pink/reddish color and given the segments themselves, would really look funny on your ole' truck.

Taking the u-bolts out is probably a 30 minute job at the most - that is the approach I'd take (as you have no radiator or other front stuff in place).

Also, gives you a chance to check the threads and castle nuts and make sure they are tightened as they should be, have good cotter pins in place, etc . . . a win/win situation! I always put anti-seize on them as they are typically rusted a bit and it is always good to consider the "next time" you or somebody else has to take it apart.

Best of luck!
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 05:23 PM   #534
sugarmaker

Thanks guys for the tips and hints on the belts and the U bolts too! Yes the nuts on the U bolts are VERY rusty. I began the Blaster soaking which may help me or someone in the future too.
I may order the correct offset wrench for the crank nut. I think the two piece pulley may have room to be removed. Then I could install the belt and put the pulley and nut back in place.
Did get the transmission filled with 3 quarts of 600 W oil. Have slow leak at the seal area of the PTO sliding engagement shaft.
Filled engine with 5 quarts of oil and some zinc treatment from Snyder's.
Also the end cap tool for removing thew fan from the water pump and some heat and blaster soaking did the job. Cleaning up the shaft. It has a .010 deep grove where the gasket material was tightened up. Evaluating the options of using what I have and a few new parts or getting more new parts for the water pump?

Trans top in place and the levers for parking brake, PTO engagement and the Hydraulic lever secured and functioning.

Will try to clean up the distributor and see if it will operate after all these years.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #535
Bored&Stroked

You're getting close . . . heck, you may have it running/driving for your show! Fingers crossed . . .
Old 09-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #536
Bored&Stroked

On the distributor, you should think about replacing the condenser at the very least - they tend to go bad after a lot of years. On our V8 distributors and Harman-Collins dual-coils, I use Vertex magneto condensers - about the only high-quality condensers I can find these days. But, there may be other options . . . somebody posted that Mike at Third-Gen has found a decent supplier.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:35 AM   #537
DavidG

Chris,

The drill for the initial set up of your distributor is on pages 6-11 and 12 in your book. It is pretty straightforward.
Old 09-27-2021, 10:15 PM   #538
sugarmaker

Dale, David, Folks,
Thanks for the hints on the distributor set up!
I just spent a hour plus on the phone with my tech support guy (Our son Adam) setting up my new Android phone to replace my broken old one. Putting a engine in a 32 Ford AAB truck was easier!
Will try to get the water pump back together tomorrow.
This morning I spent chasing a leak in the actuating shaft coming out of the PTO. After putting in the oil last night I had a small puddle under the truck this morning! Totally un acceptable! So I began to find out what the issue was. Well it turns out that 90 year old felt just doesnt hold back oil like it used to. I took the felt out, trimmed it to about half the thickness and placed two o-rings on the shaft to pack the felt tighter and create a seal on the shaft and the housing. Jim from Bugs&Tugs helped me get it together. Seems much better no leaks yet. Did you ever try to get 600 Weight gear oil off anything!
Hope to get a starter back in next day or so too.
Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 09-28-2021, 08:01 AM   #539
Bored&Stroked

We all can't wait for a video of the darn thing running and taking it's maiden voyage! Get that phone going will yah! LOL
Old 09-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #540
sugarmaker

Dale,
Folks,
I must admit i am not much on video's but will try! Did get the new phone working last night. Its big, but that will probably be ok in a short time. Takes nice pictures!
So today was the water pump assembly and fit up. I had to learn a lot about these in a hurry. Found I had .280 inches of clearance in the pump shaft to head casting perch. After talking with David G. and Joe at Snyder's about the possible solutions, I choose to farmer the perch fix and shim out the front of the fan pulley. We will see how this works and for how long. By the way this was not Davids suggestion.
The new seal nut works very well from Snyder's!

trials:

Also mounted the spare to get it off the floor and out of the way. The door only opens about halfway!

Put 2.5 gallons of gas in the tank, none has leaked out yet! Slightly closer to running! Ok maybe I forgot to turn on the valve?

Also reworked the short rod from oil pump to the distributor. Seems the slot was not quite wide enough to allow the distributor to engage.

Trying to get in touch with Renners parts to get some new points and condenser.

Shop working on the starter had to order a bendix. Supposed to be ready tomorrow, We will see. Not holding my breath on that to happen. May have to hand crank it to start!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 09-28-2021 at 09:23 PM.