Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-21-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
JohnB15632

Default Master cut off switch installation

In a previous post, I asked the size of the main fuse. In response, I it was highly recommended that I remove the fuse block mounted on the starter.

I have removed the fuse block. I will install a different one that was recommended

I have also installed the main cut off switch and connected the main wire from the switch to the starter.

Question: Have I installed the main cut off switch and the power wire correctly?

Thank you,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0349.jpg (63.3 KB, 251 views)
JohnB15632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
Charlie Stephens

Default Re: Master cut off switch installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB15632 View Post
In a previous post, I asked the size of the main fuse. In response, I it was highly recommended that I remove the fuse block mounted on the starter.

I have removed the fuse block. I will install a different one that was recommended

I have also installed the main cut off switch and connected the main wire from the switch to the starter.

Question: Have I installed the main cut off switch and the power wire correctly?

Thank you,
I can't see in your picture the positive cable coming from the battery to the cut off switch? I also can't see the power going into the harness. How about a few more pictures.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
JohnB15632

I have yet to connect the power cable coming from the battery, nor have I installed the power cable going into the harness.

Small steps at a time for me.

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #4
1955cj5

Will that location interfere with the steering column?

I put mine on the bottom starter bolt....
Old 06-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Patrick L.

Well, so far so good. But, that switch is a PITA to get at. I prefer the seat riser. To each his own though.

In place of the starter mounted fuse holder I prefer an in-line fuse.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #6
JohnB15632

Thank you 1955cj5. I never thought of that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!!!
I bet that you are correct. I shall move mine.

Thank you Patrick L. How did you connect the cut off switch to the seat riser? I have a 31 SW 4D TS. I do not see how to connect the swith to the seat riser.

Thank you all!!!!!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
springerpete

Mine is also on the seat riser just at my heels. Easy to use. My car is a '29 roadster.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

It's also best to use the master cutoff switch on the ground cable.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:00 PM   #9
JohnB15632

to Tom,

That is, move the cutoff switch to between the ground and the battery? Not after the battery before the starter?

Thank you,
Old 06-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #10
Synchro909

I have 3 As. One (Tudor) has the cutoff under the floor between the seats so I get to it by poking a finger through a hole that no one would notice. The other 2 cars have the switch mounted on the seat riser. All are on the earth side of the battery. I prefer the switch to be in the cab for quick access in case of a short somewhere.
I figure they serve 2 purposes. Safety and anti theft security. Thieves are generally not so smart (That's why they are crooks) and between turning on the battery and turning on the fuel, they wouldn't get to first base even if they could drive it. The accelerator being located between the clutch and brake pedals would be enough to confuse the heck out of them, then there is the crash gearbox, no power steering, no power brakes, manual ignition timing etc. All up, it would be too much for the poor darlings.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:13 PM   #11
hardtimes

Quote:
to Tom,

That is, move the cutoff switch to between the ground and the battery? Not after the battery before the starter?

Thank you,
Hey John,
Think that if you cut the GROUND battery cable it half/middle, there would not be any possibility of an elect connection. Ergo, nothing to do with 'other' battery cable.

I use 'other', as some (me) use a negative / black ground cable. If as original Ford, you most likely have the red cable grounded, eh.

Regarding seat riser mounting. If you have a seat riser, as coupe/roadster(mine), there is a nicely placed hole in the vertical/front face of riser....just in perfect location to attach your cut-off master switch. First thing to turn on when starting car, first thing to turn off when stopping car/engine. Fail proof, QUICK and easy !

Last edited by hardtimes; 06-21-2017 at 06:19 PM. Reason: ................
hardtimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:29 PM   #12
DougVieyra

I have a switch on both of my Model A's. On my '28 Phaeton I have the switch mounted at the starter motor, but at the lower bolt, which makes the switch less noticeable. I also painted everything with a Flat Black paint; again to make the switch less noticeable, yet quite handy. This method/location is the easiest and most simple to install of all the various options.

On my '31 Dlx Coupe, I installed the switch at the base of the steel seat riser. That switch was a real bitch to install. Inside the cab does have a number of advantages, but it was a real bitch to install, due to having to cut holes in the steel riser.

Again, I would recommend painting the switch black to help 'blend in' and look more like it belongs to the original car. It also makes it less noticeable for the crook to know about.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
JohnB15632

You guys are the best!!! Thank you all!! Such great ideas! Things that I never thought of.

Thank you to DougVieyra This is a super great Idea!!!!! I shall move the switch mount to the lower starter mounting bolt and paint it as you have described. I will also trying to move the connection to before the battery.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:55 PM   #14
captndan

Like others have said mount on the bottom starter bolt. Battery cable to switch and new cable from switch to starter, Simple.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #15
Patrick L.

Quote:
Thank you 1955cj5. I never thought of that. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!!!
I bet that you are correct. I shall move mine.

Thank you Patrick L. How did you connect the cut off switch to the seat riser? I have a 31 SW 4D TS. I do not see how to connect the swith to the seat riser.

Thank you all!!!!!

I think you would be able to mount the switch inside, either on the riser or floor and still have it easily accessible and kinda hard for others to see. This is much harder to do than mount it under the hood.

Most folks prefer to mount the switch on the ground wire. I'm one that also runs a second ground wire to the transmitter or bell housing.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #16
JohnB15632

For those of you who suggested that I install the master cut off switch within the body, are you suggesting that I drill a hole in the pan of the "floor" and install the switch here, with the wires running underneath car body?

Can you suggest the best location where I should drill the hole for the switch?

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0351.jpg (56.8 KB, 93 views)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #17
1955cj5

Here is an old thread....in post #19 there is a picture of the switch mounted in the existing hole in the cross member, just forward of your floor pan. He put a hole in the floor board for access from the drivers seat....

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3654
Old 06-22-2017, 11:15 AM   #18
RawhideKid
BANNED

Hey John, where you have the switch located will work very well without needing to drill holes in that beautiful floor pan. I would lower it to the bottom starter bolt and if painted black, it will be almost invisible. You could also move it to the motor mount and it would work just as well.

One word of advice, run the wires away from the clutch and brake pedals so no rubbing. I would also make the switch break the ground wire and run an extra one from the switch to the engine somewhere, the shorter the better.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
iverson

I have thought about installing a master switch also mainly because our 28 has original wiring but I couldn't find a way to do it with out drilling any holes and I didint want to more batt cables under floor that can get loose and cause a short. so I put the fuse kit on starter that I think should protect the car also I don't tighten the batt cables real tight so I can pull off the ground cable without tools the odds of the starter wire shorting is slim I think
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2082.jpg (89.3 KB, 78 views)
iverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 12:31 PM   #20
Tom Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
It's also best to use the master cutoff switch on the ground cable.
X2 on that. The cutoff should be on the ground circuit, which on a Model A should be the positive cable (assuming stock electronics).
Tom Foster is offline   Reply With Quote