Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-19-2021, 09:53 AM   #1
HalcyonDays

Default Rebuilding Distributor

I am having trouble inserting the shaft pin in the sleeve on the distributor. The hole in the shaft lines up if I do not use the thrust washers. If those washers are installed the hole is just enough off that the pin does not go through the shaft.

Is there a difference in the placement of the hole in shaft, on a one piece distributor shaft as opposed to a two piece shaft? This distributor originally had a one piece shaft and I am replacing with a two piece shaft.

I have tried several sleeves and they all seem to have the same issue.
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:11 AM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Rebuilding Distributor

Sounds like the washer may be to thick.
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 10:23 AM   #3
Tom Endy

When rebuilding a distributor I use the following technique:

I install a .010 steel washer at the top and a fiber washer at the bottom. I line the hole in the sleeve to the shaft. If it would make it too tight I take the coupler over to the grinding wheel and grind some metal off the top and try to fit it again. It is a trial & error process until the pin goes in and I can turn the shaft by hand.

Sometimes I find the opposite, it is too loose and there is thrust clearance. In this case I add a .010 steel washer just above the fiber washer. There are slight differences in the castings.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 11:06 AM   #4
rotorwrench

I don't know how the manufacturers drill the shafts but they should be to a specific tolerance of location in my way of thinking. I've looked for a specification on the end play but I don't find much on line. Shafts like that should have some end play. I figure around .0025 to .005 should be fine. I'm fixing to overhaul one myself so I'll see if I can find out what the thickness of the shims that are available. The shim thickness would be key to getting the proper end play spec I just mentioned. If a person puts it together with no shim at all and it falls within that spec then I wouldn't get too worried about it. It should be fine. If the shims are too thick to help then a person would have to find some thinner shims or live with what you have. I think the fiber washers are available in two thicknesses. One from Bratton's is .048" but the other they mention has no dimension listed. I'm not sure how well some fiber washers would hold up. I've seen some that have no fiber washer on the bottom. I don't know if a previous rebuilder excluded it or if it disintegrated.

There is likely some thrust loading from the distributor shaft drive assembly depending on how much end play it has. It would be hard to tell how much play exists unless the drive was removed and inspected. I'd figure that it may not have that much affect on the distributor unless it too has a lot of end play due to drive gear sleeve wear or wear on the dive body casting (or both).

Last edited by rotorwrench; 09-19-2021 at 11:16 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
chrs1961815

I think the body wears at the bottom and maybe the top a bit. The washers are there to prevent that. On the bottom I like to use steel washers as the fiber ones don't last nearly as long.
Old 09-20-2021, 07:46 AM   #6
John

I do something similar to Jim. I find that the fiber washer/steel washer combo is too thick for most distributors. I fit the shaft by facing the coupling in a lathe for proper hole alignment. If just a small amount removed is needed, the fiber washer can be sanded down instead.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 10:49 AM   #7
HalcyonDays

Good advice from all. I will grind a little off the coupler and be good. Thanks again
HalcyonDays is offline   Reply With Quote