Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-23-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
jdpaxton

Default Ring terminals

I am redoing a wiring harness on my 39 and note the ring terminals all have a rubber hose for insulation. All of my sources of rubber hose are a bit too thick. Anyone come up with a more suitable and original looking hose? (thinner wall)
jdpaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #2
chap52

Default Re: Ring terminals

How about garden drip system hose?
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #3
koates

Black shrink sleeving. You can cover with a second layer for a better look. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:18 PM   #4
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by koates View Post
Black shrink sleeving. You can cover with a second layer for a better look. Regards, Kevin.
I agree.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #5
leon bee

One of the best things to happen with my wiring is I started buying that shrink tube in 4 foot lengths. Costs way less and I just cut off a hunk whenever I want. I use it all the time.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #6
tubman

The best thing about the shrink tubing is that it's usually black, which looks more correct on these cars. I have spent a lot of time removing the colorful insulating sleeves from the hardware store terminals. I finally "bit the bullet" and bought a bunch of uninsulated terminals and found they are of better quality and a lot cheaper than picking up "onesy-twoseys" at the hardware store.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #7
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The best thing about the shrink tubing is that it's usually black, which looks more correct on these cars. I have spent a lot of time removing the colorful insulating sleeves from the hardware store terminals. I finally "bit the bullet" and bought a bunch of uninsulated terminals and found they are of better quality and a lot cheaper than picking up "onesy-twoseys" at the hardware store.
I do the same thing......melt off the colored plastic and replace with black shrink tubing....Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:04 PM   #8
Drbrown

I frequently have a senior moment and forget to slide the piece of shrink tubing onto the wire before I crimp and solder the connector on. I agree with Kevin ... a second layer makes it look better and if your making a high amperage connection its better protection.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:17 PM   #9
tubman

Duplicate post.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:20 PM   #10
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
I frequently have a senior moment and forget to slide the piece of shrink tubing onto the wire before I crimp and solder the connector on. I agree with Kevin ... a second layer makes it look better and if your making a high amperage connection its better protection.
I have done this also. My solution (and to the problem where the shrink tubing is a little too large for the wire), is to slit the proper sized shrink tubing, spread it and put it over the area to be insulated, and then slip a large enough piece to fit OVER the terminal over the whole thing and hit it with the heat gun. Both pieces shrink, and most of the time, I end up with a good looking joint.

Shrink tubing is one of histories greatest inventions, right after the Thermos Bottle.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #11
leon bee

I build motorcycles mostly. A few years ago I bought one that somebody else had built. A good deal on a real pretty bike. One day I realized that there was not one single blue or yello or red terminal mashed insulator on the whole machine. I still use a few, but they are hidden. My napa now has some of the non insulated terminals, but I still have to cut the plastic off butt splices, etc.
leon bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:16 PM   #12
jdpaxton

Thanks guys. I am gonna keep looking. Shrink tube is just not the same regardless of how many layers. I`ll report back if I find a good replacement.
Finding clear tube is easy but the black seems to be the problem. Wife works at hospital and brings some outdated tube home occasionally and it is close in size but again usually clear. Thanks
jdpaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:05 PM   #13
petehoovie

They do make Thick Walled Heat Shrink Tubing

See > https://www.ebay.com/sch/items/?_nkw...ds=&rmvSB=true

And > https://buyheatshrink.com/heatshrink...polyolefin.php

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:47 PM   #14
ReggieK

Try Rhode Island Wire. Lots of good stuff!!
ReggieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 09:37 PM   #15
v8fordman

Rhode Island Wiring sells the tubing in any length you want to buy. It is correct and if you choose, you may put shrink tubing under it to get a double insulation.
v8fordman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 10:52 PM   #16
Graeme / New Zealand

Shrink tubing is great stuff. I've spent the weekend making a wiring harness for the turn signals I'm installing. I used a few different sizes and bought it by the metre length as its cheap that way. The left overs will last me the rest of my life.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 AM   #17
Mart

I'm doing the same myself, a complete new loom for my 41 pu. Ununsulated terminals, and heat shrink when I can. It may not be perfectly as original, but it is functional and smart and looks professional. It's worth getting a good pair of crimpers. I am also using the braided polyester sleeving. It takes a bit of planning if the loom is not dead simple, but I am pleased with my efforts.

In my mind, I wouldn't mind betting the original rubber tubing insulating material required an expander tool. I'm thinking a three pronged tool that expanded the tube to slip over the terminal and is then released and withdrawn.

Pure guesswork, but these were mass produced oem harnesses and special tooling would not have been an issue. I don't know what would have been available to the home gamer back in the 30s and 40s.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #18
flatheadmurre

There is a tool with 3 metal rods expanding to put the numbered sleeves on industrial wiring that is still sold...may work for this.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:39 AM   #19
FireEngineMike

For those of us who sometimes miss a step, only to realize it later, there is heat shrink tape (Amazon: 1" x 180' for $7.85) and liquid electrical tape (Amazon: 4 oz bottle for $6.76). I have used both over the years with varying success. One reviewer posted detailed instructions for the tape. Neither is as neat as heat shrink tubing.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
tubman

I agree with "Mart" about getting a good crimper. Those flat, black things with the red handles that most of us have are crap. I got a good one from Amazon.com for about $30 that works much better. Also we've heard the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none". I feel this way about electrical tools. I used to use one of those flat black things that was supposed to be a wire cutter and stripper as well as a crimper. These days, I use my new crimper, a quality set of side-cutters, and a purpose made stripper and it has made my wiring tasks much easier. The big advantage though, is my connections are of much higher quality that they used to be.