Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #1
JaxFLG8r

Default New Forum Member

Not quite sure of the protocol, but wanted to put out an introduction/warning on the Ford Barn Model A forum regarding anticipated questions and potential use in the near future.

Currently helping my father with a build of his late 1931 Roadster Pick-up truck.

We are making progress and have set a goal for early April to have this one finished. My father, who is in his 70's has two prior restorations under his belt.

With the help of my young adult son, there are three generations working to get this truck back on the road. We are getting closer to being finished, but have quite a few weekends ahead of us. I have handled some of the trickier side projects so far, including rebuilding a set of Houdaille shocks (it took about 16 shocks to find a good re-buildable set), together with rebuild of the correct Zenith side bowl carb because of the late 1931 firewall indent.

I have read many posts and threads as a guest in the last year or so, but I went ahead and registered because of the anticipated future questions, as we move forward.

Thanks for reading. Ed Williamson (no known relation to the famous Bill Williamson)
JaxFLG8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
JDupuis

Default Re: New Forum Member

Welcome Ed, I look forward to your future postings. Nice to see the 3 generations working together and creating memories. Jeff
Old 01-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLG8r View Post
Not quite sure of the protocol, but wanted to put out an introduction/warning on the Ford Barn Model A forum regarding anticipated questions and potential use in the near future.

Currently helping my father with a build of his late 1931 Roadster Pick-up truck.

We are making progress and have set a goal for early April to have this one finished. My father, who is in his 70's has two prior restorations under his belt.

With the help of my young adult son, there are three generations working to get this truck back on the road. We are getting closer to being finished, but have quite a few weekends ahead of us. I have handled some of the trickier side projects so far, including rebuilding a set of Houdaille shocks (it took about 16 shocks to find a good re-buildable set), together with rebuild of the correct Zenith side bowl carb because of the late 1931 firewall indent.

I have read many posts and threads as a guest in the last year or so, but I went ahead and registered because of the anticipated future questions, as we move forward.

Thanks for reading. Ed Williamson (no known relation to the famous Bill Williamson)
WHEW i thought i had a new relative that i didnt know about. Welcome ,,for the record this crowd loves to see pics...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
henry's 31

Welcome to this great site. As you have seen is an incredible place to get knowledge on the Model A. This site is important to do restorations and to keep our A's on the road. When you can post a photo of that project. It sounds like you are very close to finishing! Welcome again!
Old 01-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #5
zzlegend

Good for you. Or should I say, all three of you. Welcome.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Welcome aboard and good luck with your project. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

Welcome, and posting pictures can help you and us. It wasn't until I posted a picture of my firewall and terminal box to help someone, that I noticed the two wires on my coil were on the wrong side. They'd been that way for over 10 years, and would have stayed that way had I not posted the picture.

Just for the record, the coil will put out the same voltage wired backwards, but the hot center electrode of the spark plug fires easier with the coil wired correctly. The Chicagoland MG Club has the best presentation on coil polarity. Just Google "coil polarity", and it'll be near the first one listed.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:21 PM   #8
3.6rs

We love to see the pictures of the progress.
3.6rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #9
FordGirl

Nice Tommy gun ya got there, Mitch//pa!
FordGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #10
FordGirl

Well hello Jax! And welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxFLG8r View Post

FordGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
JaxFLG8r

Here are pictures I took on Monday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motor.jpg (42.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg side.jpg (39.0 KB, 176 views)
Old 01-17-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
31a

Welcome, might check and see if you can connect with a local club, they would be a good source of help, info and parts, plus you can make great friends under the hood of a Model A.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
cradlescyth

Welcome aboard. Hope things go well.!!!
cradlescyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #14
KGBnut

Welcome aboard. Very nice, and cool color. I haven't seen that before. Let me reiterate what 31a said about finding a local club. Friends in the neighborhood are incredibly valuable.

The one other piece of advice I will offer is 'avoid the temptation to replace old parts with new.' Other than consumables, try to stick with original parts. They are almost always better than the new one. I speak from experience and wasted money.

Mine is also a three-generation family project, with my father and my daughter.

Ken
Old 01-17-2017, 02:27 PM   #15
Barber31

Welcome. Good luck on the build. I hope y'all make the deadline.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:35 PM   #16
JaxFLG8r

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

The color is Pegex Orange, and my father has been gathering parts for most of his life. Pulled the main wiring harness last night from his parts stash, and the invoice says he bought it in 1978.

I remember a vacation we went on as a family back in the late 1970's where he found a NOS tailgate somewhere in Tennessee. The tailgate is still one of his favorite finds, based on a tip he received from someone out of Hemmings Motor News.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:23 PM   #17
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Greetings and Salutations!!!!!!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #18
Squally

I was wondering the same thing with regards to etiquette. I joined the forum a few months ago and did post a question, but never introduced myself or the car. Ours is a 1930 Roadster. It appears to be Washington Blue with Cream wheels and cream striping that was hand-painted by my father-in-law. He purchased the car in the 50s as a junker and put it together. My wife grew up with the car (and a few other antique cars along the way). He passed away before we got married and we got it running again and kept it running for a while after that, but we had a problem at one point that I couldn't get past and didn't have the time or energy to put into it. My daughter had been pressing me to get it running and I promised I would and finally did last Fall.

I have no mechanical or automotive training so in the beginning pretty much everything was a complete mystery. We had brought it to someone in the beginning because we were having an electrical issue and he showed us a lot. Everything I do on it becomes a research project, so finding this forum has been very helpful. Right now, the car is on jack stands because right after we got it started we decided it needed new tires (they were probably 25-30 years old), and decided to take that opportunity to have the wheels painted since they had a fair amount of peeling and rust on them.
Squally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:22 PM   #19
JDupuis

Welcome Squally. Looks like a great car. So nice that it has a family history, and will be enjoyed by your next generation. Grampa would've been proud. Jeff
Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #20
jm29henry

Welcome ,it's always great to get ew ideas from new members
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote