Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2017, 08:34 AM   #1
tomkc1

Default 34' Gas Tank

Its time for a new gas tank for my 1934 four door sedan. The old one isn't leaking but its been on there for almost 50 years.
I searched back in the threads for a couple of years and found lots of information and opinions (new vs refurbish ect).
It seems to me from what I've read here is that Bob Drake has a good tank, at a reasonable price. Also his tank seems to work correctly for the 1934.
Before I order one I wonder if any of the "barners" have had any negative experience with the Drake tank or the service there.

Thanks in advance. Tom
tomkc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
quickchange34

Default Re: 34' Gas Tank

Good service and the tanks are nice. They fit very well.
quickchange34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
Ken Arms

If your going to use an original fuel pickup you will need to use his adapter on the top of tank. Ken
Ken Arms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
fourfords

Of course we can all do what ever we want. Why replace your gas tank if it works and isn't broken or damaged? Just curious.
fourfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #5
Floyd

Totally agree with "fourfords". just because it is 50 years old does not mean it is bad. Look inside the tank with a good flashlight and you will see one of three things, 1)clean original tern coat finish,2) rust, corrosion and/or cracks and leaks,3) crude from old gasoline (which can look like rust). For condition 1 clean and just run it. Don't even coat it. For 2) clean it and see what you got. For #3, Clean it or have it cleaned and do not disturb the terne coat original finish. Do not coat the inside if possible. If some spots of rust are there, you may need to use a GOOD tank coating. Original tanks fit, work and the original gauges fit. I would say more than 50% of the original tanks are actually in very good condition. My 32 has swap meet original tank in #1 condition. My 40 did have a bad very leaky rusted tank(farm truck). Now has a #1 condition original tank and sender unit from Early Ford store
Just my opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 09:08 PM   #6
AnthonyG

If your seeing crud and rust in your bowl or fowling your carb. your making the right decision. While I do agree "if it ain't broke don't fix it" I also know from experience trying to clean a cruddy, rusty tankyourself is futile and almost as expensive as a new tank. Go for the new tank. Tanks Inc. has good products and reasonable too, http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm