Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-03-2021, 07:05 AM   #1
toms32

Default Do not do business with this person

I placed an ad for my 32 rear fender. A Matt Knoop from Chicago area replied and said that he wanted the fender. He asked for a number of photos which I sent to him. He asked for the Shipping info and I brought the fender to the next town and got an estimate which I forwarded on to him He said it was great and would send me postal money order, I spent over an hour and $35 in materials wrapping it waiting for it. Yesterday I got an E-mail saying he was not going to take it. I guess If your word is not worth anything what do you have. If you decide to deal with this guy you better get the money in your hands first Tom Gormley
toms32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:20 AM   #2
Mike in Mass

Default Re: Do not do business with this person

Yep ...really sucks ..put the time and effort to box it ..bring it in for a price quote. And ...nothing. I have a 64 Galaxy grill that was " sold " Twice ! . I won't unwrap it again it will be a mystery grill when I'm dead. My old man called them ..STROKERS .
Mike in Mass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
McMimmcs

Who is the person ?
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:23 AM   #4
richard crow

leave the fender wraped relist it. when you get an other buyer it will all ready be wraped
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 08:54 AM   #5
sugarmaker

Tom,
You still have the fender.
I told a guy I was going to buy a truck this summer and then backed out. I felt bad about it. no money had changed hands. I thought it was a great Idea till I slept on it, and it did not feel right. The guy was not happy. He sold the project truck got his money and most all of it was good. In hind site I should have taken more time making the decision.

On another portion of my hobbies I sent a guy a tool and never got any money for it. that's was my fault being so trusting.

You still have the fender! Good luck.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #6
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms32 View Post
I placed an ad for my 32 rear fender. A Matt Knoop from Chicago area replied and said that he wanted the fender. He asked for a number of photos which I sent to him. He asked for the Shipping info and I brought the fender to the next town and got an estimate which I forwarded on to him He said it was great and would send me postal money order, I spent over an hour and $35 in materials wrapping it waiting for it. Yesterday I got an E-mail saying he was not going to take it. I guess If your word is not worth anything what do you have. If you decide to deal with this guy you better get the money in your hands first Tom Gormley
I don't get it, you had to spend the time and money anyway, now it's ready to go to anyone else who wants it with no delays.
You should be happy that if you shipped the fender you found out that the money order was phony.

Last edited by 34PKUP; 12-03-2021 at 10:53 AM.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:29 AM   #7
19Fordy

tom: Now days it's not uncommon that folks will change their mind once they are told what shipping charges are going to be. They are not concerned about the time and money you spend to get the info. I have had the same thing happen. Agreed, it's very annoying. Our world has changed.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:13 PM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
tom: Now days it's not uncommon that folks will change their mind once they are told what shipping charges are going to be. They are not concerned about the time and money you spend to get the info. I have had the same thing happen. Agreed, it's very annoying. Our world has changed.
Me too, just recently. Guy told me he was sending the money right away for a transmission. Then simply vanished.
I can understand changing one's mind but can't understand the total lack of social grace to communicate that.
Old 12-03-2021, 12:32 PM   #9
Vics Stuff

When I sell parts , I will not go through the hastle in boxing up the item and taking it to the post office to have this happen to me again. Now I will grab the item with a larger box then needed . do not wrap the part as to being shipped , just take the two loose pieces and get shipping rates . Then I typically add 10% to the cost to cover any added weight due to the packing material. I am not getting burned again . Trying to find a good box then packing it , to have the guy back out and now I have to open the box back up to get additional pics for the next guy.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:36 PM   #10
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vics Stuff View Post
I am not getting burned again . Trying to find a good box then packing it , to have the guy back out and now I have to open the box for the next guys pics.
Vic
Good ideas in your post, although Just save your photos to send to the next guy.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
woodiewagon46

Tom even when you try to give away something people can be jerk's. I had several years of "Woodie Times" magazines that I wanted to give away. I had a guy call me and said that he wanted them.He said "Here's my address and box them up and let me know the shipping". So I boxed them up and took the box to the Post Office and the shipping was about $26. I called him to let him know the shipping and he said "Well I really don't want to spend that much". Now I save up a year's worth of magazines and put them on the tailgate of my "46 Woodie and give them away at car shows.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:33 PM   #12
19Fordy

One way to avoid this shipping cost guessing game on smaller items that can fit in a box is to use PRIORITY SHIPPING BOXES whenever possible. That way you can quote the shipping cost which remains the same within the USA.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #13
paul2748

I have a number of "buyers" that flaked out after going to the trouble of boxing - some which I had to actually make up the box from flat cardboard.

I bought a half decent scale that i can weigh the boxed up parts and using the USPS website, get the actual shipping. it has worked out very well for parts that are not very big.

Big parts are usually better off sending UPS, so that's a drag as I have to go to the local UPS store to get a shipping amount. UPS website sucks as far as getting shipping costs as the UPS stores always seem to use a different standard.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:31 PM   #14
51504bat

I've got an account with FedEx. I go to get the box weighed and a quote to give to a prospective buyer. They agree and send the money. Once I get confirmation of the payment and I go back to FedEx to ship and more times than not the price changes and usually for more money. Their BS explanation is that the cost isn't finalized until paid for. And they usually add that fuel costs go up etc. Don't they went up in the couple of hours between the quote and actually paying for the shipment. I don't sell all that much stuff but I try to use USPS flat rate boxes if at all possible.
Old 12-03-2021, 06:59 PM   #15
SunleyAntiques

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Amen on this last sentence.

Sent from my LM-K500 using Tapatalk
SunleyAntiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:46 PM   #16
Krylon32

40+ years in hot rod parts business, if I had a dollar for every time a customer said he was buying something and changed his mind I'd have a lot of dollars. As a seller it is frustrating.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #17
Ryan
Administrator

My take? Nothing is sold until paid for… don’t do anything until it’s paid for.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:06 AM   #18
Lanny

In Many cases, one Has to figure what kind of shipping box, then figure
out the size, then figure how well you need to protect the merchandise,
and what kind of protection, (good, better protection, The Best protection)
and Then figure the weight, then usually get shipping quotes from two
or more shippers.

You have to do ALL that just to get a fairly accurate shipping price.
I haven't sold anything to anyone, Without getting a shipping price.

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #19
Tinker

In a nut shell, selling sucks. You had to pack it for anyone else that will buy it. Now it's done.

Just for the sh!t of it, A hit/miss buyers experiences. Was looking for skid casted wheels for a 27 IH throttler. Sent a letter to a Amish community in Pen. 3 weeks later a full cast wheel set and brackets showed up at my house with a bill. Sent the check next day.

What does that story mean? Nothing, nothing at all.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:30 AM   #20
Lanny

Tinker says :
In a nut shell, selling sucks. You had to pack it for anyone else that will buy it. Now it's done.

The Next guy who wants to buy it, might only live 25 miles away, and wants
to drive over to get it, and Don't care if it's boxed, so time just wasted.
No wonder many people just plain WON'T even try sell anything...

If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.
But if daddy ain't happy...RUN
Lanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:35 AM   #21
Tinker

"The Next guy who wants to buy it, might only live 25 miles away, and wants
to drive over to get it, and Don't care if it's boxed, so time just wasted.
No wonder many people just plain WON'T even try sell anything..."

I would have thought he exhausted the 25 mile area sale. It doesn't matter really. Lanny I know people hate ebay. But it gives you some protection. But I have left a few off the hook if they respond quickly.

Rather sell to someone 25 miles away. Less it's a car, then two states over so I don't have to see it driving around with a wing bolted to it or a smashed fender.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-04-2021 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:49 AM   #22
cas3

I haven't sold on ebay for a few years now, but I used to put in a great deal of effort to see that things arrived intact. Cut special size pieces of Styrofoam so sharp corners, or studs don't poke thru the box, etc. People don't understand what an effort it is. Atleast on ebay, the buyer has paid before its shipped. Any other online private sales is where you see the guys that disappear before the deal is done. I had 3 things on Craigslist this summer, and when one sold CR would not let me edit the ad without opening an account! No mention of it in the rules, and I dont want an account. I had to let the ads run out, could not delete after the item sold. Facebook is the way they all say, I say facebook is the devil. Then you have the gubment wanting to get in on the action, I am about to say the heck with it, just do an auction, take the loss, and move on
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:57 AM   #23
Tinker

Ive done a few on craiglist. Better up here. In Florida we would go in teams out to the boonies. Emails and no trace phone numbers. Always was fine. Only one time I tapped out on a sale for a HD bike. The guy wanted me to meet him in a homedepot parking lot and follow him with cash. I said hey no thanks. then threatened me to watch my back. I told him that's where I keep a 357 so...

So much easier up here on Craigslist or the radio swap meet.

Last edited by Tinker; 12-04-2021 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #24
mhsprecher

Just the way it goes. More than once I have boxed things up and something happened. I did have a Model T part all ready to go, but it sold later and, so it was already boxed.

The biggest issue is determining actual shipping costs. Sometimes I make a trip to the PO and get the price, but don't like the hassle. I have shipped more than one thing using Greyhound. For larger items, it is a good way to go.

Wrapping them so they don't get damaged in the biggest challenge. No way you win on shipping. It costs too much and takes too much time. People don't want to pay for it, either and don't care how long it takes you to do it. As others have said, the USPS flat rate boxes are a great way to go, but are limited due to size.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #25
marko39

at least with the usps flat rate boxes it is the same price no matter where the buyer lives.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:53 PM   #26
trulyvintage

Question Re: Do not do business with this person

Quote:
Originally Posted by toms32 View Post
Why are you wrapping an item for shipment
that hasn’t been paid for yet ?

Your decision to do that - don’t try and blame
a prospective buyer you have not done business with before …

Nothing is bought until it is paid for in full.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:21 PM   #27
deuce_roadster

I will send pictures to someone that is interested in something I have. In general, I don't advertise parts for sale, I'd rather take to a swap meet and deal face to face with a buyer but if someone needs something or is stuck on a project, I will offer a part. I have sent parts FREE to people in need on this forum if it is of little value to me. Unless I get payment for a significant part and shipping, I don't even bother boxing it up. Been down that road before. Most folks are honest but the scammers and looky lou folks are out there. A very well to do guy (sold a 39 convert for over 100k) cried poor boy and hooked me on some 32 parts. Have seen his parts for sale on the EFV8 site for big bucks. Plenty of low life people but most are good.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #28
KenBolton

USPS shipping? Do a search on this site for what to do when YOU get burned.
KenBolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:49 PM   #29
J Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBolton View Post
USPS shipping? Do a search on this site for what to do when YOU get burned.
Never had a problem with the post office.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 09:04 AM   #30
Frank Miller

I call this the cost of doing business. People do have the right to back out of sales. If you've ever bought something and returned it you're in the same boat. Quite a few times I've stocked up on plumbing fittings for a project so as to have enough, then return what I do not use. I realize some stores charge a restocking fee but most do not.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:33 PM   #31
Charlie ny
BANNED

I attempt to not wrap until the $$$ arrive. Another annoying practice is when a customer sends less than the amount stated then goes into a double talk routine, a

'who shot John' scenario. I caution that if you cash his check or MO you have
consummated the deal and you could very well be out the shorted $$$$. The
seller be ware.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 06:30 PM   #32
Andy

I had a 36 rear end freshly built with 3.54 gears. I listed it as no shipping. A guy kept pleading with me to ship it. He said he would pay whatever it cost.
I spent two days figuring wood cost, weight, size, and shipping.
Never was able to get him to reply after that.
NEVER AGAIN!
No shipping means come and get it.
I will do as the other posters suggested. Give a quick and dirty estimate and state the cost can vary.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:33 PM   #33
paul2748

Me either

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Franklin View Post
Never had a problem with the post office.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 07:55 AM   #34
Frank Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I had a 36 rear end freshly built with 3.54 gears. I listed it as no shipping. A guy kept pleading with me to ship it. He said he would pay whatever it cost.
I spent two days figuring wood cost, weight, size, and shipping.
Never was able to get him to reply after that.
NEVER AGAIN!
No shipping means come and get it.
I will do as the other posters suggested. Give a quick and dirty estimate and state the cost can vary.
When you do not want to ship and they insist they will pay just give them a number that makes you want to ship it.
Even a detailed list. Lumber 150 Time to build shipping crate 4 hrs @ 100 is 400 plus shipping costs once dropped off.
If he says, that ridiculous agree with him and say that is why you do not want to ship it.
Old 12-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #35
BoxCar Tom

We know by name who backed out of the deal but we don't know why, haven't heard his side of the story. Kinda lopsided. So be it. I will say that back in Oct. I sold two 32 Ford 18" wheels to Matt. Deal went through without a hitch. Paid full price (underpriced so they would sell) paid Paypal fees, and paid shipping from NJ to Chicago. No problems. No dancing till the piper is paid.

Another issue that has not been addressed Paypal is going to report to the IRS the money you receive from them so that you can report it as income on your tax return. Ounch! The problem is with the money you receive to pay for shipping. Pay taxes on pass thru money? OR just boost the shipping fee by your income tax rate?
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote