Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
EJ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 27
Default Cool running

Regardless of how long I have been running or the terrain travelled winter or summer when I stop my engine goes cold very quickly probably 20 mins half hour, I'm never sure whether to use the choke or not when I want to restart. It's not causing me a problem and my engine is running fine, I was just wondering if anyone else had the same thing or is that the way it is with the A.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
Ray in La Mesa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: La Mesa Ca
Posts: 935
Default Re: Cool running

I think how quickly the atomized gas condenses out, in the induction system, after the engine is shut off, and your carb/induction configuration, is what you're dealing with. It varies from engine to engine. On my newly rebuilt engine with performance cam, 6:1 head & twin side by side "B" carbs (stock intake w/ second 90 degree elbow braised on for second carb), I can Start the engine w/o choking for only I-2 minutes. On an older totally stock engine it could sit for up to 10 minutes & restart w/o choking. Ambient temp. probably has something to do with it too.
Run a few test starts with different time delays to see what your parameters are.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
katy
Senior Member
 
katy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Posts: 3,715
Default Re: Cool running

Quote:
I'm never sure whether to use the choke or not when I want to restart.
Try 1/2 choke.
__________________
Play it again Sam.
katy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
EJ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 27
Default Re: Cool running

Thanks Ray will give it a try.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 10:27 AM   #5
EJ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Birmingham UK
Posts: 27
Default Re: Cool running

Thanks Katy, I only use half choke when ever I start but thanks for the input.
EJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
Purdy Swoft
Senior Member
 
Purdy Swoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 8,099
Default Re: Cool running

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Just a quick touch of full choke is the way that I always crank mine . Too much choke and it can flood . After all it is an updraft setup .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:04 PM   #7
WHN
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Connecticut Shoreline
Posts: 1,443
Default Re: Cool running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
Just a quick touch of full choke is the way that I always crank mine . Too much choke and it can flood . After all it is an updraft setup .
I also start our car this way. Fresh tune with new plugs, or in need of adjustment. Has always needed a quick choke. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:27 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,582
Default Re: Cool running

I always use a 180* thermostat, and never have to use the choke unless the engine is stone cold, which takes hours. I never drive my Model A's in cold weather, which is 40* or less.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #9
old31
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 1,649
Default Re: Cool running

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray in La Mesa View Post
I think how quickly the atomized gas condenses out, in the induction system, after the engine is shut off, and your carb/induction configuration, is what you're dealing with. It varies from engine to engine. On my newly rebuilt engine with performance cam, 6:1 head & twin side by side "B" carbs (stock intake w/ second 90 degree elbow braised on for second carb), I can Start the engine w/o choking for only I-2 minutes. On an older totally stock engine it could sit for up to 10 minutes & restart w/o choking. Ambient temp. probably has something to do with it too.
Run a few test starts with different time delays to see what your parameters are.
Ray do you have a pic of your carb set up, sounds interesting.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:58 PM   #10
Ray in La Mesa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: La Mesa Ca
Posts: 935
Default Re: Cool running

Haven't figured out how to post pictures yet, any instructions?
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:25 PM   #11
Tom Wesenberg
Senior Member
 
Tom Wesenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 27,582
Default Re: Cool running

I click on.......... "GO ADVANCED"
Then click on.... "MANAGE ATTACHMENTS"

Click on Browse, find your picture, click on it, then Upload your picture.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
Ray in La Mesa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: La Mesa Ca
Posts: 935
Default Re: Cool running

Thanks
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.