Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #21
petehoovie

Post Re: Package Deal....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1934 View Post
Petehoovie, if you don't mind me asking; why do you want to sell those three beautiful cars, (package deal or otherwise)?
Doug.
Planning ahead. Getting up there in age - thinking about how much time I have left? Thinking about my son who lives 3000 mile away and is not a 'car guy' and will have very limited time to settle my estate - I've got to make it easier for him when the time comes. If he lived here, where I live, I wouldn't be so concerned. Hell, if that were the case, I'd probably be looking to buy more cars.... I just hate to sell these cars, I enjoy them so much....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 10:38 PM   #22
green50

Default Re: Package Deal....

I say keep the cars and enjoy them, or at least one. You don't wan't to be sitting in your recliner wishing you'd never sold them.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:43 PM   #23
Phil Gillespie

I would have to agree, perhaps sell 2 and keep one to enjoy and use while you still can.
Then when that time comes only one vehicle to dispose of should not be too much trouble. Perhaps a local Ford Barn member will be able to assist when this time comes around and ease the burdon for your son.
All the best with this important decission.
Phil NZ
Phil Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:22 PM   #24
expavr

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Planning ahead. Getting up there in age - thinking about how much time I have left? Thinking about my son who lives 3000 mile away and is not a 'car guy' and will have very limited time to settle my estate - I've got to make it easier for him when the time comes. If he lived here, where I live, I wouldn't be so concerned. Hell, if that were the case, I'd probably be looking to buy more cars.... I just hate to sell these cars, I enjoy them so much....
If you don't need the money, I can make a recommendation. Establish a fair market value for your cars and any spare parts you have. Give an itemized list to your son and anyone else who would be in line to inherit your estate. If you have a local friend or know someone who is a vintage car enthusiast, give him this info and let him know what your intentions are. I did this a year ago before serious heart surgery and can tell you that my wife and children appreciated my effort. Only the Almighty knows how long he will let us play with our toys, so why not take advantage of them while we can without worrying about what will happen when we're gone. JMO.
Les Williams
expavr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:39 PM   #25
J Franklin

An auction will dispose of things very quickly, now or after.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:27 AM   #26
barnfind

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Something to think about - estate auctions are generally, a great way to buy at a very steep discount unless there is something very unique or rare.
A few years ago I had to help a friends family dispose of a lot of cars and parts and they probably got only 30% of "Fair Market Value".
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:52 AM   #27

I realize that we managed to get a little bit side-tracked as to your original question but many of us find ourselves in similar situations concerning our old Fords. So we can relate. I must agree with some of the other comments that suggest selling 2 of your cars and keeping your favorite to enjoy. I am so looking forward to my own retirement, (not sure when), so I can devote as much time as I like to tinkering around, (and driving), my '34. If I didn't have that to look forward to I don't know what I'd do!
I'm sure your son would be very happy knowing that you are enjoying your retirement years with one or more of your precious cars. I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make!
Doug.
1934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:15 PM   #28
FireEngineMike

Pete, I just cycled through your album several times. Phenomenol would be an understatement. I cannot imagine parting with any of them. One thought I do not recall being mentioned would be to donate one or more to a museum now or in your will. Sorry if that sounds morbid. The Early Ford V-8 Foundation in Auburn, IN would be a good contact. They cherish their collection.
FireEngineMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #29
Jeff/Illinois

If you donate your cars to a museum, your son won't receive any money. The cars become the property of the museum.

They can be sold at any time to anybody and there is nothing you can do about it. Insider selling can and does occur; a buddy of a museum director decides he has to have your '37 and blammo it's gone to a new owner at a fire sale price. This happens a lot.

Keep one car, sell the others yourself, and have fun with the lone car. After you die it will take care of itself,,,,, your son can sell it that's not a big deal.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #30
FireEngineMike

Jeff, I take it that you never went to a museum.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:26 PM   #31
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by petehoovie View Post
Pictures are posted in a album I created. This Forum is not the proper venue to sell these cars. I was just asking for opinions here....
You could always put them in classified for sale ads here on Fordbarn, on the HAMB, the EFV8C/A website, Hemmings Motor News, etc., as separate ads and/or a package deal, and see what happens.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:51 AM   #32
1931 flamingo

I don't know how well heeled the rest of the gentlemen here are, but there's no way I could afford a package deal. It took me a long time to find the one I have. Unless looking for an investment, etc, I think most would be looking to buy one (might be all they could afford). I think you'd have much better luck selling individually. JMO
Paul in CT

Now I'm going to have to figure out what to do with mine although wife will probably have a FOR SALE sign next to the casket.
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #33
Jeff/Illinois

Naw Mike all I'm sayin' is that if Petehoovie wants his son to have any money from his cars it won't happen if they go to a museum.

Case in point. A friend had a beautiful '66 GT350 Shelby that he painstakingly restored, it was a #1 mint condition cars won a number of awards. His wife picked up a boyfriend, was getting ready to divorce him, so my friend decided to kill himself which he did.

Widowed wife didn't want this car around so she 'lent' it to a car museum for display. About three or four years later she decided she wanted the car back, went to the museum, and it was gone. Turns out one of the museum directors decided he needed this car, he 'bought' it from the museum for little of nothing, and it wound up in his garage for a year, then he sold it for big bucks and that was the end of that car.

Be careful with what you do, and be aware this can happen to you.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:47 PM   #34
mhsprecher

Really nice cars. I would hang onto them as long as you can.

One never knows what will happen. We may be gone this afternoon or 20 years from now. Maintaining more than one can be a problem. I am faced with that situation myself. I too worry about my stuff when I am gone, but more with burdening my family with decades of crap that I should have disposed of or never picked up in the first place. Much better to get rid of the junk and clutter than something you really love, like your antique cars.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:02 AM   #35
FireEngineMike

Jeff, that situation would not happen at the Foundation museum. They abide by any paperwork signed about the details of the loan or donation.