Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2024, 07:15 AM   #1
flatmotor40

Default stromberg 97 problems

Still having a little problem with my 97's.Drive thr car and go into store and come back in 5-10 minutes or so doesn't matter.I have to chock it to get it to run.Could the float be too high.Never checked since I put the 2 on a few years ago.These are Stromberg 97.It alsmost acts like it is flooding when shut off.In the morning fires when the starter hits no problem.I have a 2 inch spacer on both carbs.Thaanks
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:03 AM   #2
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: stromberg 97 problems

Usually when an engine is flooded you have to open the throttle ALL the way (no choke) and get some air into the engine while cranking the heck out of it. You're doing the opposite, so I think you probably don't have enough fuel. The choke should increase the fuel amount - not decrease it.

If the float was too high, then choking it would deliver even more fuel to the engine - making the flooding worse.

After stopping/sitting for a bit, first thing I would do is pull the air-cleaner and see if when you move the throttle linkage that your accel pumps are squirting. If they are not, then the fuel level might be too low and after getting hot and sitting, it drops even further.

The most important thing is to figure out if you have too little fuel to start it . . . or too much.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 10:44 AM   #3
drolston

On a hot engine, it should take no choke to restart. Check the float levels; easy on your 97 carbs. Just after shutting down (on level ground), take the top off of both carbs (be careful with the accelerator pump plungers). The fuel level in both carbs should be about 1/2" below the rim of the float bowl.
If one is low, it might have a float valve that is sticking closed. The fix is to disconnect the fuel line to that carb and blast some carb cleaner into the fitting on the carb. If the problem comes back, replace the float valve.
To check the float levels, take some fuel out of both float bowls. With the ignition off, crank the engine and observe the float bowls fill until the float valves closes. Check the level at very close to 1/2" from the rim. If high or low, adjust; being very careful of how you bend the tab on the float especially if you have nitrile (plastic) floats. If you put bending pressure at the point where the tab attaches to the float, you can break the airtight seal of the float, which will sink and cause bad fuel overflow.

If this does not take care of your problem, report back for the next suggestion.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 08:17 AM   #4
flatmotor40

I looked yesterday and my fuel pressure gauge was reading almost 0 while it was running.But when I crank it up in the morning it is 2 1/2psi.Checked the electric pump and it was vibrating,So I wonder if my regulator is going bad.Will check it this afternoon.Will still lower the float level.Thanks
Old 04-03-2024, 11:14 AM   #5
solidaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
I looked yesterday and my fuel pressure gauge was reading almost 0 while it was running.But when I crank it up in the morning it is 2 1/2psi.Checked the electric pump and it was vibrating,So I wonder if my regulator is going bad.Will check it this afternoon.Will still lower the float level.Thanks

My little screw in fuel gauge always stops reading when hot also. Its the nature of the beast. There are good ones you can buy that work when hot. Aeromotive 15632 is supposed to be a good one. I can not confirm it's accuracy.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 04:00 PM   #6
drolston

I had the same problem.
Some of the pressure gauges are liquid filled to dampen the needle motion. When hot the liquid builds up pressure and reduces the gauge reading. Look to see if there is a small rubber plug on the side of the gauge, towards the top. If so remove it to relieve the liquid pressure. I left mine out with no ill effect. Still reads reliably, hot or cold.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 07:21 AM   #7
flatmotor40

Thanks found a kink in the fuel line between the regulator and the first carb.I just hate to have the issue all the time.But when I finished this car I had no trouble.That why we keep these old cars going!