Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-28-2020, 08:00 PM   #1
BobR35

Default Miles and Miles to go

Well so far since purchasing my '35 three weeks ago, I've managed to put just over 1500 miles on it staying within 50 mile radius from home! I really love driving this old girl! Giving a good shake down and fine tuning things along the way, she's coming along just fine! Not being driven more than 500 miles since 1990, I think she's shaping up really good. So far I've rebuilt the carb, new plugs, changed the oil 2X, (now using Castrol 20/50), and I've decided to run regular ethanol gas, (after reading the pros and cons, cost of fuel and replacement of parts). "She's not a garage queen"!
Today I changed out the front motor mounts without too much of a fight. I was able to raise the motor enough to get the old out and the new in. It improved the ride enough to make a difference but I would really like to switch out the rear mount to complete the job. I'm wondering if there is a kit to do that without taking out the tranny? I was thinking of possibly cutting out the old mount and maybe putting in a later type to weld/bolt in. Any ideas/suggestions?
BobR35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #2
Kube

Default Re: Miles and Miles to go

Good for you! Glad you're happy with this car.

I'd recently replaced the rear mount in my '36 which I am 99.9% certain is the same as your '35. You can do it with the trans. in the car. I did.
You will have to access the top of the trans. That's easy enough to do. You'll also need to roll the rear chassis back about 5" or so. Again, easy to do, especially if you still have mechanical brakes.
I had a long day in, maybe 4 - 5 hours to do this task.
I'd suggest you replace the mount with an accurate reproduction. In the long run, it'll be easier than modifying what's there. Plus, you will then know it's been done correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050702.JPG (155.5 KB, 123 views)
Old 12-28-2020, 08:19 PM   #3
BobR35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
Good for you! Glad you're happy with this car.

I'd recently replaced the rear mount in my '36 which I am 99.9% certain is the same as your '35. You can do it with the trans. in the car. I did.
You will have to access the top of the trans. That's easy enough to do. You'll also need to roll the rear chassis back about 5" or so. Again, easy to do, especially if you still have mechanical brakes.
I had a long day in, maybe 4 - 5 hours to do this task.
I'd suggest you replace the mount with an accurate reproduction. In the long run, it'll be easier than modifying what's there. Plus, you will then know it's been done correctly.
Hi Kube,
OK, sounds like the way to go. So when you say the rear chassis, do you mean the rear-end and driveshaft ?
Thanks
Old 12-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR35 View Post
Hi Kube,
OK, sounds like the way to go. So when you say the rear chassis, do you mean the rear-end and driveshaft ?
Thanks
Bob, I would agree as well....that is the way to go. The complete banjo rear assembly needs to come back far enough to disengage the splined shaft on front of driveshaft from the universal joint.
I have also replaced that rear transmission mount with the transmission still in the car and bolted to the engine. I can give you a step by step procedure if you feel that would help you.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 09:23 PM   #5
BobR35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
Bob, I would agree as well....that is the way to go. The complete banjo rear assembly needs to come back far enough to disengage the splined shaft on front of driveshaft from the universal joint.
I have also replaced that rear transmission mount with the transmission still in the car and bolted to the engine. I can give you a step by step procedure if you feel that would help you.
Hey John,
If you could tell me the best and easiest way to get the job done, that would be awesome! I'm not as limbo as I used to be but I do want to tackle this some time in the near future.
Thanks again
Old 12-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #6
JM 35 Sedan

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR35 View Post
Hey John,
If you could tell me the best and easiest way to get the job done, that would be awesome! I'm not as limbo as I used to be but I do want to tackle this some time in the near future.
Thanks again

Bob, I'll get this to you later today or tonight.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 12-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #7
Mart

I wouldn't replace the rear mount unless I knew it was bad. Fronts, yes, rears no. It's a sandwich type of affair and in my limited experience, tend to hold up quite well.
In other words you night not get as much bang for your buck improvement as you did by changing the front mounts.
Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I wouldn't replace the rear mount unless I knew it was bad. Fronts, yes, rears no. It's a sandwich type of affair and in my limited experience, tend to hold up quite well.
In other words you night not get as much bang for your buck improvement as you did by changing the front mounts.
Mart.
I agree with you Mart.
Mine was "mushy" due to years of leaked oils upon it. Not certain if there was a difference in ride after I'd installed a new one. However, I felt better knowing it wouldn't fail on the road.
Old 12-29-2020, 12:53 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

This may be a little better picture of what that rear mount looks like in a '35 without the trans in the way. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 02:28 PM   #10
mfirth

X2 on Mart & Cube...if it ain't broke....don't fix it....don't ask how i know these things...
mfirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #11
BobR35

I really appreciate all the input from you all and I'll tell you the truth, I don't think I'll jump on this right away. Maybe down the road a little bit if or when I need to get into this area. Right now I'm really pleased with the improvement doing the front mounts. Good Stuff Guys and thanks for all your advise.
Old 12-30-2020, 12:14 PM   #12
JM 35 Sedan

Bob, I'll still pm/email you the information I put together on replacing the rear '35-'36 transmission mount while keeping transmission in car....incase you want to consider doing this later.