Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #101
TJ

Default Re: 2014 Gettysburg Meet Photo Thread

Vic, since you are no longer a member maybe you should reconsider and rejoin. Since you apparently have the capability to negotiate great room rates for weekend events you can certainly be of help in setting up weekend V-8 events. Why not be part of the solution to the perceived problem? If people want to go to Tampa Bay year after year that's O.K. by me. Are you negotiating with Motel 6 or is it a nice place where the wives would be comfortable staying? What time of year are you negotiating the rates? Is it the prime tourist season or is the off season? When you say discounted rates, how much of a discount? $5 a night,$10 a night and how much is the regular rate? Lots of missing info here Vic. A discount could be $1 a night and still be a discount. I reiterate that since you are no longer a member you are still welcome to criticize the club. The problem is your bias against the club continues to show in your posts. I have no idea what your problem may be, but at some point you need to get over it.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #102
Bobs32

"Why can't we all get along ? "

RK
Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 AM   #103
Vic Piano

TJ, first, I'm no longer a member of the EFV8 Club for a number of reasons, not the least of which is their refusal to put such things as event dates (weekends or not) up for a vote, for example. To your other questions; we schedule the Florida "Barner's Bash" in February, the height of tourist season and we negotiate room rates at nationally recognized high quality hotel chains. Tampa Bay is, has always been, and will continue to be, a prime vacation destination. Glad you approve of people wanting to make return trips to the area, I'll sleep much better knowing that... As for specific $ discounts, that depends on the venue, its proximity to the beaches and/or other tourist venues, as well as the number of rooms, but you should already know that. Typically, we select a centralized location, making it easy for all participants. One thing we don't do, is utilize the hotel grounds aka parking lot, to stage any of our weekend events. If the EFV8 Club would like to avail themselves of my negotiating skills, I'd be happy to discuss a proposition. As for my bias toward the EFV8 Club, as you put it, I'll get over it when the club starts recognizing, appreciating and acting on the wishes of the membership, not just the few that hold positions in the hierarchy. As for our group, the Cigar City Flatheads, we are not a structured club, we're just a group of people that share a common interest in Flathead Fords. We do not collect dues nor do we have chartered chapters, produce a magazine or hold national/regional events. One of our members, from New England, Bill Wzorek created the "Miss Shelly" Award for our Florida "Barner's Bash" event. There is no car judging, the award is given by majority vote to an individual that has contributed to the continuance of the hobby, they don't even have to be in attendance or drive a Flathead to receive the award. Further, anyone is welcome to attend our events, they don't have to drive a Flathead although many of them do, and in fact, they drive a considerable distance to participate and enjoy the event and the Tampa Bay area. Make no mistake, I did, and do, enjoy attending EFV8 Club Meets, in fact I hold three awards in the Touring Class, Two first and one second place for my '47 & '53 Convertibles. I sincerely hope that you continue to enjoy participating in the EFV8 Club and its National & Regional Meets. I know I will continue to promote Cigar City Flathead events as long as people want to attend and enjoy them, in Tampa Bay or Dawsonville, Georgia or anywhere else we might want to congregate,
Old 06-30-2014, 06:46 AM   #104
HOTROD_WILLIE

It looks like from the pic of the award Banquet must of the people there was retirement age. They have more time to go to the show during the week. V8 Ford club has not reach out to the younger Flathead owner having the show during the week. After read must comment a lot of V-8 show is during the week. Why is the cost of Hotel room such a big deal? When we spend thousand dollars a year on our cars?

Let us read again TonyM comment post #74. This guy is a V8 Ford club member.

Tony M QUOTE:
Technically these are not public events--These meets are Club Events organized by the Club for Club Members.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by HOTROD_WILLIE; 06-30-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 07:46 AM   #105
Cecil/WV

The only comment I will make is that it is not the Early Ford V8 Club that makes the decision for what dates the meet will be held, but it is the Regional Group that is hosting the meet. It is based upon the local conditions in that region. I have attended 14 National meets in the last 10 years, and plan on going to Springfield, Il in Aug. and the meet hosted by the No Va RG in 2007 is the only one that the Concourse was held on Sat. Personally, I prefer the weekday event.

Last edited by Cecil/WV; 06-30-2014 at 07:46 AM. Reason: corrrection
Old 06-30-2014, 07:49 AM   #106
40a-760

It is unfortunate that this thread has turned into a political forum and does not address the original intent. The Gettysburg meet was one of the best organized EFV8 Club meets ever, and the number and quality of the cars displayed was fantastic and show that the right location, ease of access, and the on site facilities were perfect for this type event and well accepted by those that continue to support the club with their membership. Age has little to do with these events, and is a reflection of the ownership of the cars that we appreciate.
To those who donated countless hours to put on a great event, thank you. To those who chose for the own personal reasons not to attend, you missed one hell of a show.

Walt K. in PA
Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #107
40a-760

Other thoughts, if I may. These events usually span 4 days, so week days will be involved no matter what, and for those who travel a distance, added time. A venue like Gettysburg in peak season can get quite busy and make tours of surrounding areas much more difficult.

Walt K. in PA
Old 06-30-2014, 10:19 AM   #108
JM 35 Sedan

Just for the record, I will post some old threads that may give some history of those who "hijacked" this post that was suposed to be a picture post thread of the Gettysburg Meet.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ight=Charlotte

For those who came the wrong day to see the cars at Charlotte, here is a post that leads to a file that had pictures of every car on the show field.

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ight=Charlotte

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-30-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:31 AM   #109
TonyM

Thanks for posting that JM35. Very illuminating. Wow.

See Post # 2.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94950

Last edited by TonyM; 06-30-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:31 PM   #110
woodiewagon46

I agree with 40a-760 and JM 35 Sedan. This thread was for pictures of the V-8 meet. I for one had a GREAT time. This post is not for you people who are unhappy with the V-8 Club. Contact them with your gripes, I think most of us don't want to hear your bitching!
Old 06-30-2014, 03:10 PM   #111
TJ

woodiewagon, well said. My apologies for being involved in the hijack. I just couldn't sit idly by while people(non members) with personal agendas criticized the V-8 Club. I will continue to give the V-8 Club and all the hard working people who put on the meets 100% support. Over and out.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #112
HOTROD_WILLIE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Thanks for posting that JM35. Very illuminating. Wow.

See Post # 2.
http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94950
Tony M Thanks for your post #74 on this thread it is also very illuminating. WOW!!
Old 06-30-2014, 05:11 PM   #113
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40a-760 View Post
It is unfortunate that this thread has turned into a political forum and does not address the original intent. The Gettysburg meet was one of the best organized EFV8 Club meets ever, and the number and quality of the cars displayed was fantastic and show that the right location, ease of access, and the on site facilities were perfect for this type event and well accepted by those that continue to support the club with their membership. Age has little to do with these events, and is a reflection of the ownership of the cars that we appreciate.
To those who donated countless hours to put on a great event, thank you. To those who chose for the own personal reasons not to attend, you missed one hell of a show.

Walt K. in PA
Thanks, Walt.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:16 PM   #114
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrust View Post
Great pictures everyone. Phil, I looked all over for your 36 but never did see it. I hung around JM's car but never saw him either. Stopped by the Appalachian Brewery for a bite to eat and when I came out at 2:30 most of the cars had moved.
bbrust, sorry I missed you. I'm thinking we may have been in the Appalachian Brewery at the same time . I was in there having a couple cold drafts with two friends while they had lunch. When I got back out to my car the show field had pretty well emptied. I did find Zach Suhr and his dad there by my car. Was glad to meet up with them. Zach is a young man who is very interested in these early Ford V-8's exactly as they may have been done by many of us back in the day, in the '30's, '40's, and '50's. He owns some very nice early Ford V-8's. He is also someone the V-8 Club would embrace as a new member.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 06-30-2014, 09:46 PM   #115
VeryTangled

More
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GEDC0146.jpg (54.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20140623_093547.jpg (72.0 KB, 8 views)

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 AM   #116
HOTROD_WILLIE

Tony M Thanks for your PM post to me and for educating me about the Early Ford V-8 car shows. I was confused but now I see the light. I am sharing this email w/ the world so that they would know, not be confused. This should clear everything up and we can move on. If any Fordbarners would like me to forward this PM post from my friend please let me know.

Tony M PM

Sir,

Others have said the same thing--These events are for the members not non-members. What is the big deal? Some one pointed this out to you four years ago when you were crying about the same thing.

Last edited by HOTROD_WILLIE; 07-01-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 AM   #117
BrianCT

It only costs $10 to be a member and you get a great magazine besides.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #118
Ford46

BrianCt, EFV8CA regular membership with the magazine is $35 or $38 includes spouse, membership without the magazine is $15 or $18 includes spouse. Like everything else, expenses increase. Still a great value!
Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM   #119
JM 35 Sedan

For those who are not currently members of the Early Ford V-8 Club of America you can click here and sign up now....https://secure.cornerstonereg.com/efv8/index.ht
If you missed the Gettysburg Meet, you still have time to join up and register for the Central National Meet in Springfield, IL. You also have time to sign up for the Western National Meet. Don't be left out of the fun and great opertunity to see all these nice Early Ford V-8's in the future!!

Also, for those of you in the Southeast, don't forget the Charlotte/Concord ENM in 2015. I am sure all the details for this meet will be posted on the EFV-8 Club's website as well as here on Fordbarm. Don't be left standing in the background wishing you had been there.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 07-01-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #120
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
For those who are not currently members of the Early Ford V-8 Club of America you can click here and sign up now....https://secure.cornerstonereg.com/efv8/index.ht
If you missed the Gettysburg Meet, you still have time to join up and register for the Central National Meet in Springfield, IL. You also have time to sign up for the Western National Meet. Don't be left out of the fun and great opertunity to see all these nice Early Ford V-8's in the future!!

Also, for those of you in the Southeast, don't forget the Charlotte/Concord ENM in 2015. I am sure all the details for this meet will be posted on the EFV-8 Club's website as well as here on Fordbarm. Don't be left standing in the background wishing you had been there.
Here is the info for the Central meet:

http://www.earlyfordv8.org/early-ford-meets.cfm
Closed Thread