Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #1
Steves46

Default Radiator Baffle

Good evening. I have searched many threads on this subject and was unable to draw a conclusion to my question; should the water being pumped in from the water pump flow on top or beneath the baffle? On the top of my baffle, I can see the opening from the upper hose and the water flows in on the top. Is this the correct set-up? Thanks and Merry Christmas. Steve
Old 12-23-2020, 10:46 PM   #2
GRutter

Default Re: Radiator Baffle

The water should be beneath the baffle.

If the baffle is properly in place, you wouldn't be able to see the upper hose opening.
My guess is that the baffle came loose and has been pushed or fallen down (assuming original radiator).

If you look at the Service Bulletins, Page 450, you will see several pictures showing the baffle in the radiator, along with documenting the new style baffle, and the overflow tube.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:56 AM   #3
Steves46

Thank you very much for the info. After 144 views, I was getting concerned. Maybe I can carefully pry it up with a cotter pin removal tool or something else. I suspect it is not the original radiator and bet this may have happened during a repair in its lifetime.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #4
GRutter

If your radiator is cooling well, I wouldn't be overly concerned.
Most often the biggest problem without the baffle is excessive water being pushed out of the overflow tube.
I have read of owners fabricating a baffle that they fit down through the filler neck and over the overflow tube. Have never tried that.
The only way to fix it correctly IMO would be by removal of the top tank.. probably unnecessary cost if you're not having cooling issues.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:07 AM   #5
Steves46

The system cools well the problem is that if I go faster than 45mph, I start loosing too much water which then starts to make my mechanical temp gauge start to rise whenever I slow down. I will try timming an aluminum coke can and make a small shield an see if that will cut down on the amount of water being pushed at higher speeds.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Bob Bidonde

The coolant inlet to the radiator's top tank is below the baffle on a radiator that is original or one like it. There is a cutaway drawing of the cooling system on Page 10 of the reprint of "Dyke's Automobile and Gasoline Engine Encyclopedia Supplement." Apparently, the function of the baffle is to prevent pumped coolant from splashing directly against the radiator cap and overflow tube.
Original 1928 radiators have a baffle that is on an angle, perhaps 45 degrees with its top at the back of the upper tank. Later original radiators have a horizontal baffle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dyke's Reprint for Model A Ford.jpg (10.2 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Bob Bidonde; 12-24-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Bob Bidonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:16 AM   #7
1931 flamingo

You could also put a piece of tubing on the top of the o/flow tube and a roofing nail in it, ala Bill Williamson (RIP). Also the o/flow tube is supposed to face the rear of the radiator
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #8
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...perhaps you might want to rig an overflow bottle of some kind and then just stop and pour the water back into the radiator. If you modified the overflow tube to turn up at the bottom...use a rubber hose...and then into a bottle...just that little bit of head pressure might slow down the water loss quite a bit...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:16 AM   #9
Steves46

Thanks all. I took a look at the water flow with the engine running. During idle, the water flows below the baffle. At higher RPMs it then comes in quickly over the top of the baffle. Maybe this is normal and the reasoning behind placing an extension tube and/or using a nail.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:34 PM   #10
shew01

Default Radiator Baffle

I replaced my radiator with a new one from Bratton’s about 6 months ago. Initially, I filled the radiator near the top with antifreeze with the intention of letting the engine find its own level. The level it found was just above the baffle. (When I check the level, I can always see about 1/4 inch of antifreeze above the baffle.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #11
TMarsh

I keep mine where I can see it above the fins looking with a flashlight when the engine is cold. Never overheats and I don't add liquid. I run 50/50 antifreeze year round in NE Texas. I also run 165 thermostat. The radiator is a replacement from a reputable A supplier.
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:15 PM   #12
David R.

Service bulletin shows a fix of soldering a copper washer over the overflow tube and bending it.
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #13
GRutter

Steve stated "I can see the opening from the upper hose and the water flows in on the top. Is this the correct set-up? "

It sounds like his baffle is not installed correctly, or has broken free and dropped out of position. Add a piece of tubing to the overflow and drive it.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:43 PM   #14
Steves46

Small portion of a rubber fuel hose added to where it almost touches the radiator cap. No doubt the baffle was not installed correctly but hopefully the hose extension will work.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:42 AM   #15
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
The system cools well the problem is that if I go faster than 45mph, I start loosing too much water which then starts to make my mechanical temp gauge start to rise whenever I slow down. I will try timming an aluminum coke can and make a small shield an see if that will cut down on the amount of water being pushed at higher speeds.
What temperature does the gauge rise to when you slow down?
A rise in temperature at lower rpm's when slowing down is not terribly unusual.

If it's not getting too hot perhaps there is more coolant in the system than it wants and letting some push out until the level stabilizes will do the trick. You don't need to have the coolant level all the way to the top of the radiator tank but only need to keep it above the top of the cooling tubes.

Maybe your overflow tube extension will do the trick.