Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #1
skeeter

Default Stainless Steel Valves???

How can I tell if my valves have been replaced with newer stainless steel style? I just removed the head and attached a magnet to the valve. The magnet sticks to the valve but I don't know if it's because it's a low grade stainless or an old style steel valve. Is there a way to check? Any comments or concerns would be appreciated.

Skeeter in South Jersey
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
James Rogers

Default Re: Stainless Steel Valves???

The original valves sit low in the block. This is called the kerf and the original style have an almost knife edge kerf. Originals also sometimes have 2 holes for the old style lapping tool. If a magnet sticks you probably don't have stainless.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Kurt in NJ

If the edge of the valve looks to be less than 1/16 thick they are probably the original type, if the edge looks to be thicker than 1/16 they are probably "modern" type.

There are also some original type valves ford made in the 30s that are stainless ---I don't remember testing with a magnet, but they never rust.
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:59 AM   #4
ursus

The Ford and other manufacturer's exhaust valves made for A and B engines during the 1930's and 1940's are generally all non-magnetic, but may not be stainless steel. Some were made of an alloy called stellite.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

Original valves, to 1948, had mushroom stems, visible with the side cover off.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
hugeal

Llitehi,
justa note.
You mentioned stellite in the production of ex. Valves. Stellite is used in the production of 50 cal machine gun barrels. It extends about hlaf way down the barrel to reduce wear.i am not sure if it is maganetic or not, but it does a good job.

Al
hugeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 AM   #7
1928Pickuppain

i don't remember which ones are which but either my exhaust valves or my intake valves say FoMoCo the other is plane with the two holes both low profile with a knife like edge. I think these are original? never checked to see if they were magnetic. Do they sound origional?
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Any reason for needing to know?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:20 AM   #9
Terry, NJ

I think stellite was used in the seats, not the valves. In blocks with inserted seats, they are usually stellite.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
The Ford and other manufacturer's exhaust valves made for A and B engines during the 1930's and 1940's are generally all non-magnetic, but may not be stainless steel. Some were made of an alloy called stellite.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
MALAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter View Post
How can I tell if my valves have been replaced with newer stainless steel style? I just removed the head and attached a magnet to the valve. The magnet sticks to the valve but I don't know if it's because it's a low grade stainless or an old style steel valve. Is there a way to check? Any comments or concerns would be appreciated.

Skeeter in South Jersey
It is only partially true that a magnet will stick to a lower grade of stainless.

Stainless steels, like all steels, come in various alloys. Stainless alloys fall into three classes based on crystalline structure; Austenitic, Martenistic, and Ferritic. Each class has many different alloys within it. Of the three classes only Austenitic alloys are non-magnetic. Most automotive valves are made using a Martensitic alloy and are therefore magnetic. While it is true some of the cheaper alloys fall into this class, i.e. the type used for automotive exhaust systems, there are many other alloys within this class that are by no means "cheap" yet are still magnetic. In short: Using a magnet to test for alloy is probably not the best way.

If the valves are serviceable use-em.

Tom in SoCal
MALAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:55 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1928Pickuppain View Post
i don't remember which ones are which but either my exhaust valves or my intake valves say FoMoCo the other is plane with the two holes both low profile with a knife like edge. I think these are original? never checked to see if they were magnetic. Do they sound origional?
Valves shouldn't have a knife edge as that can run hot and cause preignition, especially on the exhaust. Either replace those valves or at least grind away the knife edge.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Sharp edges on the head of the valves is an indication that the valves have been ground, many times and not necessarily an indication that they are original!!! Like Tom says, they can cause preigmition and will burn quickly. It is best to never use a valve with ground sharp edges on any engine... I would avoid valves that are magnetic because they will burn in a few thousand miles and causer a low speed miss or worse ...
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Chris Haynes

I found a full set ot stainless valves with Ford script on the head for my Flat V8.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
glenn in camino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Valves shouldn't have a knife edge as that can run hot and cause preignition, especially on the exhaust. Either replace those valves or at least grind away the knife edge.
I didn't know that it was ok to grind away a little of the knife edge. I guess reducing the diameter a little won't hurt anything
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #15
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
I didn't know that it was ok to grind away a little of the knife edge. I guess reducing the diameter a little won't hurt anything
I'd rather replace the valves, but I'd rather grind off the knife edge than run with it, as long as the proper seating location can still be had on the valve head. You want the correct width seat (contact area) and it should be near the center of the valve face. I like to save old valves in case they can be made to fit antique stationary engines, etc.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote