Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2021, 02:09 PM   #1
Jerold Ebke

Default Oshkosh MARC National ???

Friends.
I am recently retired and so I am doing a DIY restoration of a 1930 Standard Coupe I purchased from a couple bachelor brothers when I was in college in 1975. Car has been mostly in storage since early 80’s and survived a garage fire with a severe singeing.
Chassis, engine etc. are done to where I want them for now. Am slowly doing body work and learning as I go under tutelage of a friend who is a body man by profession.
Have followed this site off and on for a while when looking for experienced information.
Recently saw Oshkosh MARC gathering notice in a post. Do those of you who have gone in the past encourage attendance?
Are there DIY classes of how to do, vendors and parts for sale?
Please share your thoughts about this gathering if you would be so kind.
Jerold Ebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 03:24 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: Oshkosh MARC National ???

Jerold,

I have never been to a MARC meet...maybe this year...many MAFCA meets however.

I am sure there will be guys who have and will respond to your questions here.

If you are not a member of MARC...Call this number right away: 734-427-9050 and become a member and if you are planning to go...you need to get regestered.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 04:59 PM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerold Ebke View Post
Have followed this site off and on for a while when looking for experienced information.
Recently saw Oshkosh MARC gathering notice in a post. Do those of you who have gone in the past encourage attendance?
Are there DIY classes of how to do, vendors and parts for sale?
Please share your thoughts about this gathering if you would be so kind.

I have attended many MARC & MAFCA meets over the past 50 years. With the present age of COVID, things are far from normal so anything is possible to be different now, -however there is typically a Model-A only swap meet. The swap meet will generally be small in size however if there are only 25 vendors there with above average Model-A used parts, that number rivals the amount of Model-A vendors that you would see at a much larger swap meet that caters to all makes and models at that meet.

Commercial Dealers typically do not set-up big displays at these type event. I think the main reason is many participants drive their Model-As to the event, and carry a week's worth of luggage for the family which makes taking home extra parts difficult.

There are generally 4 seminars presented by the Judging Standards Committee during the week however these typically are not a hands-on DIY type seminar. It is more of a lecture with the possibility of a hand out or some A/V. These seminars are geared as an overview as to what is authentic and what is correct. Don't let that discourage you from attending, but when the honest truth is told, you likely will learn more just searching & reading posts here about questions you have.

Likely the biggest thing you will enjoy is walking around the parking lot looking at the cars. Often you will find small groups of guys just fellowshipping that you can interact with spontaneously. It is very likely that you will feel it is money well spent if you attend, even if you do not take a car nor go on many of the daily activities.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Stew Masche

Jerold,
I have attended a number of Model A National shows, and have always had a good time.
There are the cars to see, from unrestored, to daily drivers, to beautiful fine point vehicles. Is always a pleasure talking to the owners, and others at these meets to get answers to questions, and look at examples of the different vehicles. For more info on the show, go to the MARC website, www.model-a-ford.org. Also look at the registration form, to see what other events and seminars are going on. If you have even the slightest interest in aviation or old planes, the National Experimental Aircraft Association is also in Oshkosh. They have replicas of the Wright Brothers flyer, to the Spirit of St. Louis, to war planes, and through to the Space Shuttle, and loads of things in between. You could easily spend half a day there looking at all the exhibits. Their website is. www.eaa.org. If you have the time and means to go to the show, I highly encourage you to do so.

Best of Luck,

Stew
Old 04-05-2021, 09:07 PM   #5
Gary Karr

I recommend that you attend this meet, especially since it is in the mid-west. You will learn more from the members attending than you would at any other car show. Model A folks are more than happy to answer questions and show off their cars to you. I plan on attending and bringing at least one car and I am over 2100 miles from Oshkosh. Also, as mentioned above, to participate in this event, you must be a member of MARC, which in my opinion, is money very well spent. Come and join the fun.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
Jerold Ebke

Thanks to all for your replies.
We are familiar with Oshkosh as I am a long time member of EAA, have attended their Airventure in July and have flown our home built aircraft, a Zenith 650 there the last 3 years it was held.
My attention has now returned to my 1930 “A” and 1955 Crown Victoria that have waited patiently for me.
I have the MARC membership form filled out to be mailed tomorrow.
Ready to again expand my horizons.
Jerold
Jerold Ebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:32 PM   #7
denniskliesen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Karr View Post
I recommend that you attend this meet, especially since it is in the mid-west. You will learn more from the members attending than you would at any other car show. Model A folks are more than happy to answer questions and show off their cars to you. I plan on attending and bringing at least one car and I am over 2100 miles from Oshkosh. Also, as mentioned above, to participate in this event, you must be a member of MARC, which in my opinion, is money very well spent. Come and join the fun.
Gary, I don’t live far from you just up the road in Orange County. I’m going to drive my Model A there this year. How much time should I give myself to get there?
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #8
Gary Karr

Dennis, it will take me 4 to 5 days pulling a trailer. I would think that you would want to allow at least 7 to 8 days, depending on the route you take and what you want to stop and see along the way. Sounds like a great trip.
Old 04-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Dennis, it will take me 4 to 5 days pulling a trailer. I would think that you would want to allow at least 7 to 8 days, depending on the route you take and what you want to stop and see along the way. Sounds like a great trip.
My gosh Gary, if it takes you 4-5 days to get to Oshkosh, you probably better find a more reliable tow vehicle!!

Just kidding of course!! When we came from my place to your meet a few years ago, (-about 2,300 miles) we made it out there in about 37 hours. On the way home, we beat out time by a couple of hours.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 04-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #10
Gary Karr

Yes, but pulling a trailer across the dessert and through traffic means that I need to be extra careful. Plus, I don't like to drive at night while towing. I think that my Ford F250 Super Duty can handle it!
Old 04-08-2021, 12:54 PM   #11
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Yes, but pulling a trailer across the dessert and through traffic means that I need to be extra careful. Plus, I don't like to drive at night while towing. I think that my Ford F250 Super Duty can handle it!
Yes, I feel certain your SD will do the trip just fine. Just needed to razz you a bit. Ironically, I think I would rather do my driving at night time as it seems traffic is less of a mess (-if there is such a thing! ).

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com