Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-27-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Jerold Ebke

Default Misaligned door hinges

This concerns my 1930 coupe purchased in 1976 and driven for a few years and then put in storage for the majority of the intervening time.
When I purchased the car in" as is unrestored" condition, neither door would allow the center hinge pin to be inserted.
I am now doing a DIY restoration and have the body off and have chassis nearly complete except waiting for shocks.
Body is solid with no rust of a structural consequence and sitting on saw horses. I assume frame seems acceptably straight in cross measure and with straight edge along top of frame with engine/tranny in place. Less than 1/16 gap under 4 foot straightedge at rear motor mount.
As I begin to contemplate working with the body and doors, I have tried to understand the problem with the hinge alignment.
I can sight through all 3 hinges on each door, so the doors are not distorted to any degree.
When I place a straight edge on the body hinges outward side, the drivers side has the center hinge 1/8 inch inward of alignment or toward the center of the body and the passenger side has the opposite, the center hinge 1/8 inch outboard of alignment with the other 2 hinges.
Makes me think the center part of the car in the gas tank and central hinge area is distorted toward the passenger side. There is no evidence of repaired body damage such as a previous collision. The hinges are all solidly in place and I have not contemplated trying to remove them at this point.
My eye is not good enough to see this by standing in front of the body and just "eyeballing the firewall". I tried to make a cardboard template comparing left to right to verify body is sprung, but amount is so small, its hard to compare accurately when marking and cutting a piece of cardboard. Seems straight edge on hinges is most obvious fact.
I tried search Ford Barn with "hinge alignment" but could not find any info on this issue.
Any thoughts or suggestions as to how to bend straighten body in this dimension. I live in a small rural Nebraska town, but the auto body shop does have frame straightening capability. Is this the best bet, trailer it to town and have the body shop bend away?
Thanks in advance.
Jerry
Jerold Ebke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Misaligned door hinges

I would try a couple 2 x 6 boards clamped together on edge, then use another shorter board and port-a-power to push the center part outward on the driver's side. If that works, then rig it to do the same on the passenger side to move it inward.

Any possibility the top hinges got pushed over?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
Oldbluoval

Its fairly common that body hinges get boogered up. I would think that if there was body damage, it would show. What does the gap between the cowl and door look like?
If gap is good and two of the three hinges are good, I would try bending the hinge back into alignment.

If the hinges will come out of the hinge pillar, using a press is the best way I've found.
It make take some trial and error but works well for me.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #4
Jerold Ebke

Post #2 by Tom
I will try to check the windshield opening in the body for symmetry left to right. Is that what you suggest that the upper part of the body could be skewed left and the upper hinges have been carried left making it seem like the problem is the middle hinge when in reality the bottom 2 are good. Would it make sense that the windshield frame would sit slightly crooked in the opening? I did not pay attention when I disassembled it. Thanks for expanding the mystery. More to check.

Post #3 by Oldbluoval
The door cowl gap was pretty good. The misalignment of the hinges is in a left/right dimension, not front/back.
I could see bending or flattening the hinges to help alignment in the front to back dimension.
Thanks
Jerry
Old 10-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
SeaSlugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerold Ebke View Post
Post #2 by Tom
I will try to check the windshield opening in the body for symmetry left to right. Is that what you suggest that the upper part of the body could be skewed left and the upper hinges have been carried left making it seem like the problem is the middle hinge when in reality the bottom 2 are good. Would it make sense that the windshield frame would sit slightly crooked in the opening? I did not pay attention when I disassembled it. Thanks for expanding the mystery. More to check.

Post #3 by Oldbluoval
The door cowl gap was pretty good. The misalignment of the hinges is in a left/right dimension, not front/back.
I could see bending or flattening the hinges to help alignment in the front to back dimension.
Thanks
Jerry
yes on the windshield frame - you should see from the drivers seat position the top is pushed to the left. It might be very subtle that the windshield opening isn't square - measure diagonally and it should come up with the same number corner to corner.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Yes, it seems more likely that the top got bumped over, rather than both sides in the middle.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #7
desotoguy

My thought is, with the 3 hinges and measuring the misalignment as you describe, you are assuming that the top hinge is off. Consider that if the center hinge, or lower hinge are wrong, that would make your measurement off. The screws holding the hinges should not be the problem, but I would loosen them and test fit the door for pin alignment. May be worth a try before the big hammer solution.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2017, 12:19 PM   #8
Jerold Ebke

Yes, the Ford Barn detectives help again.
When I took a framing square to the windshield opening in the body, the passenger side is almost perfectly square at the top corner and the drivers side top corner is obviously an acute angle by comparison. The top above the cowl is pushed to the drivers side. Once I see it with the square, then I can begin to see it with just "eyeballing" it.
Now that the diagnosis is in, any ideas as to how to gently, but firmly, without risk of damage( like parenting), apply enough pressure to bend the top back to the passenger side.
Now I find out my Model A is twisted a little like I am.
Jerry
Old 10-28-2017, 12:25 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

Well how far is it out? I would park between 2 trees or sturdy poles and a nylon strap from passenger side lower windshield area to hold and another to the other pole around the upper half of the drivers side windshield and slowly tighten the rachet strap till its pulled straight. Im sure theres tools to really do it right though... Might be able to go between lower drivers side and upper pass side and jack it back straight but id be concerned about bowing the top out that way...
Old 10-28-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
BILL WILLIAMSON

With ONLY 1/8" mis-alignment, I'd just push with PORTA-POWER/WOOD/OR WHATEVER, POP in the PINS & FERGIT IT!---I won't tell anyone--LOL
Bill Practical
Old 10-29-2017, 09:37 PM   #11
Karl Wescott

Aligning the door gap to the body at the front (conventional hinge cars) is done by bending the hinges.

A long enough piece of "drill rod" is a good check for a common axle of all three hinges. 1/4" for most model A's, 9/32 for slant windshield cars. McMaster-Carr is a good source.

My experience has been that the most common cause of hinge misalignment is loose screws. Tighten first. Also check that none of the screws are bottoming out before tightening the hinge, there are two different lengths and many of the repro's are too long (easy fix).
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
700rpm

Karl knows what he's talking about. Take his advise.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote