Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
Trevor

Default Front brake adjustments

Hi guys, i have a 1931 A. I am battling to get my actuating arm to face 15 degrees forward. I have new drums, new pins, relined shoes. Could it be that I need to build my track up a bit?
Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM   #2
100IH

Default Re: Front brake adjustments

The track will center the shoes to match the circumference of the drum when loaded in the up direction. The "push rod" length and wedge wear and roller dia. will affect the lever angle. If these parts are 'OK' then pills are used in the socket of the wedge to make the push rod effectively longer. Matching the arc of the shoes to the shoes to the arc of the drum must first be accomplished, then the components in the actuating mechanism to get the 15 degrees.

Last edited by 100IH; 02-27-2016 at 11:50 AM.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
PC/SR

Had the same problem. Found out that for awhile some of the replacement actuating rods were a little bit shorter than stock. Maybe you have the short ones. Sorry, cannot find the correct length to pass on. Maybe someone here has it. Good luck.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #4
larrys40

Trevor,
As said above by 100IH make sure your shoes are "centered" on the drums by using a centering gauge, KR wilson or the modern units available from Brattons or Snyders to make sure the shoes are located properly. If not then repair/adjust to do so.
You may be able to borrow one from a local member if available.
Without any shoes on the backing late you can see where your wedge and pin travel are by holding up on the wedge and checking out your travel. If need by you can add 1-pill or braze or weld up the end of the pushrod for extra length as needed.
Once obtained, with the shoes installed and centered your can make sure your shoe activation and contact is optimum.

Additional notes:
Make sure the backing plate is tight.. and looseness will cause actuating rod binding.
Shoes should be arced to fit drums ( prior to install on backing plates)
Ensure front brake operating shaft assemblies and associated levers are in good condition and free of loose fitting levers and have good clevis pin fits.

With all brakes restored/rebuilt properly and dialed in you will be amazed how well they can be.

Larry Shepard
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote