Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
47Merc

Default 40 Ford Brake Drums

Over the last month I have been trying to find a new bearing race for the rear hub on my 40 coupe as the one that is in there is very pitted and needs replacing. I have asked around and the race is not listed or avalible anywhere although they list a new race repair kit for 32 to 35's which normally is a larger bearing than the 40 - 48 but the kit uses the smaller 48 bearing and a thick race I think.

I had previously purchased new seals from CG ford for a 40 - 48 (2.84" dia.) and found they are too small to fit my car and 2 days ago I bought a used 40 - 48 drum (which is no good) and found it to be totally different to mine. It is two piece and it appears the race is machined as part of the hub. The seals I bought will fit this drum.
The drums on my car have the hub and drum as one piece. The size of the oil seal would have to be about 3.19" dia which I think is the same as the 32 - 35's but it uses the same smaller bearing as a 48 but a larger dia bearing race. I thought maybe a P.O had switched earlier drums on the car but on checking today I found the # C 01A-1116 on the drum which makes it a 40.

Has anyone else come across this before or maybe because it was an export model they were using up parts? The front drums are also 1 piece.

At the moment I am waiting for Macs to give me the OD of the race in the kit to see if it will fit my car and maybe I'll be able to sort this out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 40 Ford Brake Drum 1 001.jpg (49.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 40 Ford Brake Drums 006.jpg (76.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 40 Ford Brake Drums 004.jpg (70.0 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 40 Ford Brake Drums 003.jpg (67.2 KB, 48 views)
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 40 Ford Brake Drums

Have you checked with the NOS suppliers, such as South Side Obsolete? Another good source would be to check with VanPelt.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 AM   #3
fortyonerag

Did you check TCR Carponents Bayswater VIC? I'm not affiliated in any way but I picked up a pair of new bearing races for the rear of my 41 (I know, I know) from them last year.
fortyonerag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 09:07 AM   #4
47Merc

Thanks for the replys.

I checked Southside Obsolete and VanPelts. No luck. Also looked on TCR Carponents web site but couldn't see the hub bearings but I'll ring them tomorrow and check.

I think I have worked out what my problem is and although Macs haven't got back to me yet I saw on a web site that Ford used the early large style hub bearings on some light commercial vehicles up to 1942 and as mine has a C in the start of the part No. of the brake drums I think this possibly what is on the car. I haven't got a green book to check.
I was told the car was probably sent to South Africa when it was new so maybe Ford put heavy duty drums on it to suit that country. I am pretty sure that the outer race repair kit will give me the new 3.19 OD race that I need to relace the existing damaged one.
47Merc is offline   Reply With Quote