Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2015, 01:07 PM   #1
tim54889

Default thermostat function

Why is a thermostat so misunderstood? It opens on temp rise, closes at temp drop. It isn't ever going to keep you engine cool. It's made to allow the engine to come to operating temp quickly. Just because Model A suppliers sell them doesn't mean you need one!
I took a pill, now I feel better!
tim54889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 01:14 PM   #2
Tiny

Default Re: thermostat function

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim54889 View Post
Why is a thermostat so misunderstood? It opens on temp rise, closes at temp drop. It isn't ever going to keep you engine cool. It's made to allow the engine to come to operating temp quickly. Just because Model A suppliers sell them doesn't mean you need one!
Was it a chill pill?
Old 05-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
Mitch//pa
BANNED

most properly cooled model A's run 140 and need the 160 stat... if your running hotter than that from a clogged radiator and or engine block passage you should be good without one till the motor slowly cooks...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 03:48 PM   #4
WestCoast

a thermostat does more than just get the engine warm faster, it helps the engine to warm the intake manifold to better vaporize the incoming fuel charge to let the fuel burn more evenly and cleaner for better fuel milage, it stops spark fouling, and carbon deposits on top of pistons, and help stop oil contamination and sludge formation inside the engine
WestCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #5
BILL WILLIAMSON

Sumbody shuld take a COMMON SENSE PILL & re-think this thread. Me, I'm agonna' take an ANTI-PAIN PILL & lurn to play POKER, while watchin' a weird OL' WESTERN MOVIE.
Bill W.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #6
mshmodela

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast View Post
a thermostat does more than just get the engine warm faster, it helps the engine to warm the intake manifold to better vaporize the incoming fuel charge to let the fuel burn more evenly and cleaner for better fuel milage, it stops spark fouling, and carbon deposits on top of pistons, and help stop oil contamination and sludge formation inside the engine
Sounds like I need one....

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:32 PM   #7
Bill Goddard

Everyone quotes numbers for operating temps but never say wether they had a hi compression head or what the ambiant air temperature was. I drove my car without a thermostat a few days ago and the outside air was 85*, the engine was 180*. Today the outside air was 55* and engine was 140*.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #8
redmodelt

The out side temp etc is besides the point, the internal temp of an engine need to be in a certain range for it to function properly. What head is on the engine or the compression I don't think matters. It's the engine temp not the radiator. If the lowest temperature thermostat that is readily available is 160 and your engine is running at 140 that would tell that your running 20 degrees under the proper operating temperature, would it not.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

A engine runs cooler with a high compression head on it.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 AM   #10
Bill Goddard

I don't understand any of these answers. they remind me of the time a licensed pilot told me he always held a little right rudder to hold a course against a crosswind. The outside air temp has to make a difference and so does the head.
Bill Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #11
redmodelt

There are too many things that come into play to give an answer to that question. Was the temperature taken at the block, outlet or radiator?
Radiator condition, new used cleaned?
How are the water passages in the block?
How is the fuel flow to the carburetor?
What are the jet sizes?
What carburetor?
Which intake are you using?
What cam shaft grind is used?
Which cam do you have in the distributor?
6 or 12 Volts?
Condenser and coil condition?
Points gap?
Modern electronic ignition?
How is it timed and how are you setting the timing while driving?
How are you setting the GVA?
Yes even what is the outside temperature (fuel does expand as it get warmer)?
What are the driving conditions, flat hilly or mountain?
How high above sea level?
Which muffler is used, back pressure can affect temperature?
Like Model T's each engine and driver is different for A's. If you got in and drove someone's car and set it where is seemed right to you, you might get different readings then them.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 11:40 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Goddard View Post
I don't understand any of these answers. they remind me of the time a licensed pilot told me he always held a little right rudder to hold a course against a crosswind. The outside air temp has to make a difference and so does the head.
It does, but if you are looking for a chart that has all the variables that redmodelt listed, it does not exist.

The thermostat is as simple as it can be, allows little water to flow when cool (shut). This allow the coolant in the engine to rise in temperature to the rating of the unit and opens to allow water to circulate and cool. If the temp drops it shuts, when it goes up it opens. Simple.
Old 05-23-2015, 06:49 AM   #13
Ron Lachniet

I think a thermostat falls into the same category as an air cleaner. It didn't have one originally so it will run without one now. That is a fact, but if you want the best performance from your engine a thermostat makes a lot of sense. The same goes for a air cleaner. Most model engines have been rebuilt several times because they sucked up a bunch of dust(grinding compound) from the road shortening the engines life. There is a reason why all cars have thermostats and air cleaners today and it makes just as much sense on your model a. Carbon from an engine running to cold and dirt are what ruin bearings and bores.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
pgerhardt

There is one more factor to consider. If my A runs better without an air filter, which will reach end of life first, my model A engine or me! At my age an engine rebuild will most likely not be my problem. If I defy the odds and my engine dies before me it is just an excuse to build a touring engine!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:49 AM   #15
Hoogah

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgerhardt View Post
There is one more factor to consider. If my A runs better without an air filter, which will reach end of life first, my model A engine or me! At my age an engine rebuild will most likely not be my problem. If I defy the odds and my engine dies before me it is just an excuse to build a touring engine!
A real "glass half full" guy!!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:23 AM   #16
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The out side temp etc is besides the point, the internal temp of an engine need to be in a certain range for it to function properly. What head is on the engine or the compression I don't think matters. It's the engine temp not the radiator. If the lowest temperature thermostat that is readily available is 160 and your engine is running at 140 that would tell that your running 20 degrees under the proper operating temperature, would it not.
The Dog jist checked Snyders' Catalog & sed 180's ARE available.
Bill W.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:09 PM   #17
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim54889 View Post

There is absolutely nothing in the above statement that is not spot on correct. Well said Tim. If you have an overheating problem, look elsewhere such as ignition timing or poor cooling system.
If you do most of your driving in a cold part of the world, yes I would recommend the use of a thermostat to bring the engine up to operating temp more quickly. I live in the tropics and do not see a need use a thermostat as my engine reaches operating temp very quickly but does not overheat because the cooling system is in good condition.
Now, where did I put my Pill bottle.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:28 PM   #18
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Talking Re: thermostat function

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post

There is absolutely nothing in the above statement that is not spot on correct. Well said Tim. If you have an overheating problem, look elsewhere such as ignition timing or poor cooling system.
If you do most of your driving in a cold part of the world, yes I would recommend the use of a thermostat to bring the engine up to operating temp more quickly. I live in the tropics and do not see a need use a thermostat as my engine reaches operating temp very quickly but does not overheat because the cooling system is in good condition.
Now, where did I put my Pill bottle.
Ck your door panel pocket
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote