Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-02-2023, 07:00 PM   #1
Old Henry

Default Replacing Distributor Cap 47 V8

I'm half way through replacing the stock rabbit ears two part distributor cap on my 47 V8 and am stumped. After plugging all of the distributor ends of the new spark plug wires into the inner cap I didn't have the strength to press the two cap parts together and twist them at the same time to line them up for clipping together so I put the thing in a vise to press them together while twisting to line up. All seemed to be going well until the upper cap broke in two from the pressure. I can use my old one but need a better approach to getting them together before doing the same thing again with the same result.

What ideas can you give me?
Old 12-02-2023, 09:01 PM   #2
38 coupe

Default Re: Replacing Distributor Cap 47 V8

Swap the cap retaining clips and cap for the 42 style crab parts available at your favorite Early V8 Ford parts purveyor.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2023, 11:24 PM   #3
Old Henry

As you were. I got this.

I glued the cap back together with super glue. Then I just had to pull the wires back from the cap as I pushed the two parts together to relieve the pressure. Took quite a few tries. I'd test all continuity before pushing it together and latching it. Then test continuity again and repeatedly at least one wire came out of socket and had to open it back up and repeat the process over and over again until I got the right balance between letting the wires slide back out without pulling on them. (Greased them up good and relieved the sharp edge that would catch them with my Dremel to get it to work.)
Old 12-02-2023, 11:26 PM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 coupe View Post
Swap the cap retaining clips and cap for the 42 style crab parts available at your favorite Early V8 Ford parts purveyor.
Once again, I was sorely tempted again to to this while dealing in frustration with the authentic stock original system. But, alas, I am obsessed with authenticity so pay the price - a lot and often.
Old 12-03-2023, 06:25 AM   #5
38 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
Once again, I was sorely tempted again to to this while dealing in frustration with the authentic stock original system. But, alas, I am obsessed with authenticity so pay the price - a lot and often.
I respect that. I usually try to keep everything appearing "as Henry built it", but that two late front mount distributor cap setup pushes my limits on that. I don't understand what problem the Ford designers were trying to solve, everyone I know that runs a crab cap has no issues while everyone I know with the later two piece setup hates what it takes to replace the cap or plug wires..
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 09:32 AM   #6
RKS.PA

Have wondered the same thing about the "rabbit ears"!! Guessing maybe they thought is was more waterproof??? I, too, went with the original for future judging, but sorely miss the crab approach which I have come to love and admire!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:19 PM   #7
cas3

I think the rabbit ears caps were made to keep the wires dry. The professor being a guy that drives in all weather, the original rabbit ear cap is the best choice.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 01:06 PM   #8
1942deluxe

I broke an outer cap on the 59 A-B one I put in my 42 coupe. Bought another one and then found I had a spare. Almost a two person job. Making sure you have the right wires in the inner cap and getting them to bend enough is a challenge to say the least. Wife helped me on that one. On the 48 Chris (Sugarmaker) helped me and I think it took us 3 hours. He was impressed on how difficult it was. Used Dennis Carpenter wires.
1942deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote