Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-29-2020, 10:55 AM   #21
tubman

Default Re: distributor questions

Yes. There a currently available points (I think for some model Ford) that fit. I have the number (from "Bubba") someplace if you need it. I make replacements for the large brass "trash can" condensers Mallory used to supply. Caps and rotors can be more problematic. The later model Mallory ones are available from Summit. The only problem is that the last one I bought was a bright, garish blue. A little Krylon black plastic paint solved that problem. I believe they have the rotors as well. "Flattop" parts are a little more difficult. They show up NOS on eBay once in a while, but they are expensive. What I do is keep my eyes open for the less desirable models (big block Mopars come to mind), and buy them for parts. You can generally get them for a lot less than just the price of a cap. I have also rebuilt rotors with a touch of braze (or even solder) on the tip and a new carbon brush.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:33 PM   #22
JohnI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
Actually the stock distributor in properworking order, is better than the Mallory!!
I replaced the wiring harness on my 34 Ford woodie including spark slug wires. On the left side I accidentally pulled all for plug wires simultaneously from the distributor plate and am having trouble getting them back together in the correct order. Inside the left distributor cap, each terminal is marked with 1/5, 2/6, 3/7 and 4/8. I assumed this corresponds to where the plug wires go left/right but it obviously isn’t correct as it runs rough and backfires. Any suggestions?
JohnI is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-22-2020, 05:27 PM   #23
flatjack9

The cap is correct, your routing is wrong. #1 is right front on the engine(passenger side).
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:15 PM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnI View Post
I replaced the wiring harness on my 34 Ford woodie including spark slug wires. On the left side I accidentally pulled all for plug wires simultaneously from the distributor plate and am having trouble getting them back together in the correct order. Inside the left distributor cap, each terminal is marked with 1/5, 2/6, 3/7 and 4/8. I assumed this corresponds to where the plug wires go left/right but it obviously isn’t correct as it runs rough and backfires. Any suggestions?
Do you understand the cylinder numbering? Sounds like you may have that confused.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:52 AM   #25
aussie merc

parts be careful their out there good[mallory] and bad [aftermarket] ive been chasing a recurve kit for a mallory (yh yl yt ) for over 2 years no luck original mallory parts are hard to come by thanks to MSD Killing the old parts when they took over yet they kept the part nos so if you order any thing from MSD make sure it fits as they are just not interested in correcting any problems as its a mallory not an MSD so they dont consider its their problem even thought they continue to use the mallory name and part Nos
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote