Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
Scott52

Default 1952 gas tank vent question

Pulled my tank. The plan is to have the tank reconditioned by a radiator shop I have used several times. I have read the various threads and found that the tank venting has a couple configurations in the late 40s and 50s. Mine was quite rusty and I can't tell if the rod that hangs down from the inside of the vent tube cap used to have anything attached to it. It looks as if the opening of the "U" tube fits into a recess in the ceiling of the tank that has an air pocket most of the time. Sloshing gas can get into the U tube but there is a designed blockage so gas may not come up all the way into the vent tube. Not sure what the function of the rod/valve is and if it is actually still working. I am thinking to get the tank cleaned out and coated and just reassemble the vent tube parts as is. Any reason this isn’t a good idea? A vented gas cap is still needed since the vent exits in the neck of the filler. I also read the various posts on the gauge and sending units and the incompatibility of the new senders and old gauges. I removed the sending unit and connected up to a spare instrument cluster gauge and it works!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gas%20tank%20vent%20tube%20parts%20removed1.jpg (39.2 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Gas%20tank%20vent%20tube%20valve%20rod1.jpg (36.2 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Gas%20tank%20rubber%20pads.JPG (69.4 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Scott52; 05-22-2020 at 01:45 PM. Reason: title change
Scott52 is offline   Reply With Quote