Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #1
eicke

Default Plugging the fuel pump pushrod without a bushing?

Some background......Rebuilding a 8BA. Machine work is complete. Cam bearings are in and the rear one is clocked as came from the factory. Fuel pump bushing is not installed. Am I correct in assuming that I can make a solid plug the same size (just shy of the length to keep it away from the cam bearing) and hammer it home. I'm going to add a couple other details it facilitate removal from above. Is my thinking correct that the rear cam bearing gets oiled from the oil pump thru the back of the cam(thru the slot in the rear cam journalO where the idler gear is and NOT from above thru the fuel pump bushing?

BTW, I think I read every thread on this bushing but didn't see much info on plugging without the bushing.

-Ron
eicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:18 PM   #2
Jack E/NJ

Default Re: Plugging the fuel pump pushrod without a bushing?

I wouldn't hammer anything. Just a easily-removed plug held in place with a spring maybe tied down with a wire around the galley oil tube. Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #3
19Fordy

On my 8BA I did not plug that bushing. That was 20 years ago and oil pressure is great.
I did make a filler plug extension to prevent splashing excessive splashing of oil up into the valley. Fuel pump is electric.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1831best small.jpg (72.2 KB, 67 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1834 (Small).jpg (24.0 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1837b.jpg (60.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1839 (Small).jpg (29.3 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1842 (Small).jpg (30.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1850 (Small).jpg (37.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1852b.jpg (26.8 KB, 45 views)
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:59 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eicke View Post
Some background......Rebuilding a 8BA. Machine work is complete. Cam bearings are in and the rear one is clocked as came from the factory. Fuel pump bushing is not installed. Am I correct in assuming that I can make a solid plug the same size (just shy of the length to keep it away from the cam bearing) and hammer it home. I'm going to add a couple other details it facilitate removal from above. Is my thinking correct that the rear cam bearing gets oiled from the oil pump thru the back of the cam(thru the slot in the rear cam journalO where the idler gear is and NOT from above thru the fuel pump bushing?

BTW, I think I read every thread on this bushing but didn't see much info on plugging without the bushing.

-Ron

You are correct the rear cam bearing receives oil from the oil pump idler gear compartment. The stock fuel pump bushing is used to close the oil passage in the block so theres no leak at the top and no leak at the bottom. The stock bushing has a small grove around the outer surface centered on the bushing in the groved area is a very small hole that allows oil to lubricate the fuel pump push rod. If you make a solid plug thats identical in outer dimension to the original fuel pump bushing you will be fine and accomplish what you want. By threading a hole in the top of your plug if needed it would be easy to remove. I do the same when ever I eliminate the fuel pump push rod. I put a plug in the stock bushing with a threaded hole so its easily removed.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #5
19Fordy

This thread sure is revealing about plugging the bushing. Be sure to read it all.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...athead.169466/
Old 05-20-2020, 11:37 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Just solder the tiny oil hole shut in the bushing and reinstall it. You don’t have to put a rod in it , it won’t affect oil pressure.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 07:53 AM   #7
Ol' Ron

The simplest way to do this is to rotate the rear cam bearing 90 degs and put a pipe plug in place of the bushing. done it many times. KISS
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:24 AM   #8
19Fordy

The actual "fit" of the fuel pump push rod into the bushing is pretty loose.

How does removing the rod and not using a plug or rotating the cam bearing or doing anything else reduce oil pressure?
Old 05-21-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
Andy

I agree with 19Forty. The small hole will help to oil the cam bearing. Plugging the bushing will do nothing as the pushrod does not seal anything. They fit very loose.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:16 AM   #10
19Fordy

Andy, I do think plugging the bushing does help reduce the amount of oil splashing upward through the bushing but, even then, is that oil doing any harm since it drains back down into the pan? I know the early fuel pump push rids had the built in umbrella but, the later 8BA did not.

Another question:To what extent does the fit between the cam bearings and the cam effect the engine oil pressure gauge reading? I would think it's more critical than running with the fuel pump push rod removed and the bushing not being plugged.

Would be great if the "oiling" and oil pressure differences between the early flathead and later 8BA flathead fuel pump push rod and bushing could be explained.

There seems to be a multitude of opinions on this.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 05-21-2020 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:36 AM   #11
eicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
You are correct the rear cam bearing receives oil from the oil pump idler gear compartment. The stock fuel pump bushing is used to close the oil passage in the block so theres no leak at the top and no leak at the bottom. The stock bushing has a small grove around the outer surface centered on the bushing in the groved area is a very small hole that allows oil to lubricate the fuel pump push rod. If you make a solid plug thats identical in outer dimension to the original fuel pump bushing you will be fine and accomplish what you want. By threading a hole in the top of your plug if needed it would be easy to remove. I do the same when ever I eliminate the fuel pump push rod. I put a plug in the stock bushing with a threaded hole so its easily removed.
Ronnieroadster
Exactly what I intended to do. 1/4' x 20 at the top for easy removal and a lip so it can't be driven to far. Just wasn't sure if the rear cam bearing needed the oil that come thru the squirt hole in the bushing. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
eicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The simplest way to do this is to rotate the rear cam bearing 90 degs and put a pipe plug in place of the bushing. done it many times. KISS
Ron...If I caught my machinist in time I would have had him clock the rear cam bearing. Unfortunetly the rear cam bearing is in as intended. I wondered if the oil coming thru the squirt hole of the bushing was to oil the rear bearing. By clocking the bearing tells me this isn't so. Thanks.

-Ron
Old 05-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #13
eicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
This thread sure is revealing about plugging the bushing. Be sure to read it all.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...athead.169466/
Thanks for the link. I like the response....."I whittled a piece of wood and pounded it in. It's a flathead for cripes sake!"

-Ron