Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-21-2022, 05:03 AM   #1
UPS Driver

Default Storage

I’m getting ready start tearing apart my 1929 Tudor sedan and was wondering a few things,

- is fogging the carburetor a good idea? I also remember dad grandpa removing the spark plugs and pouring a little automatic transmission fluid in the cylinder on one sitting for a while, would that be a good idea on these engines?

- will wheel dollies leave flat spots on these tires?
- what’s a good way to make the battery last while being stored? I purchased a tender rated for 6 volt are these safe?

Ethanol free gas is available locally so I run on it but is there anything else I’m missing for storage?

Thank you

Brian
UPS Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 05:48 AM   #2
nkaminar

Default Re: Storage

Drain the carburetor by running it dry. Put the car up on four jack stands to get the tires off the ground. Hook up the battery to a good battery maintainer. Do not remove the sparkplugs. Make sure the engine was good and warmed up before shutting it down for the final time. You do not have to put oil in the cylinders when put in storage but you may want to put a tablespoon full in each hole before you start it up after a long time and put some oil down the distributor hole to prime the oil supply for the mains. The tank should be full and have some gasoline stabilizer in it, unless you are planning on taking it out of the car, in which case it should be drained. Store the car in a garage with a dehumidifier in the garage. Have 50/50 antifreeze in the radiator or drain the cooling system if it just has water or if you plan to take the radiator out.

If your "tender" is a battery maintainer that does not overcharge the battery then you are good to go. Read the directions that came with it. The Barn would need to know more about it to give a good recommendation.

Where are you located?

Before you tear the car apart, make sure you are committed to completing the job. A lot of cars are taken apart and never put back together. Restoring a car is a huge job and takes lots of time and money. The alternative is just to fix things that need fixing and drive the car as it is.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.

Last edited by nkaminar; 08-21-2022 at 06:17 AM.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:18 AM   #3
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS Driver View Post
I’m getting ready start tearing apart my 1929 Tudor sedan and was wondering a few things,

- is fogging the carburetor a good idea? I also remember dad grandpa removing the spark plugs and pouring a little automatic transmission fluid in the cylinder on one sitting for a while, would that be a good idea on these engines?

- will wheel dollies leave flat spots on these tires?
- what’s a good way to make the battery last while being stored? I purchased a tender rated for 6 volt are these safe?

Ethanol free gas is available locally so I run on it but is there anything else I’m missing for storage?

Thank you

Brian
Tape up or plug tail pipe/ rodents
Old 08-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #4
nkaminar

Good suggestion, Gary. I was going to suggest that too, along with putting a rag in the carburetor to keep moisture out of the engine. Whatever you plug the exhaust pipe with, make sure the mice don't try to make a nest of it and remember to remove it before you start the car again. Maybe a rubber ball of the right size.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 09:42 AM   #5
ford32tudor

Always drain dry
ford32tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:23 AM   #6
rotorwrench

In the military and for military contracts, fogging with a slurry of Black Bear Par-Al-Ketone and other preservatives to provide a relatively long term anti-corrosion coating for storage of engines and engine components. I never had to do it but a friend of mine who is 90-years old got to experience it when rebuilding engines for the military. It's a nasty job. A person really had to wear special clothing and be careful while moving around. More than one fogger slipped on the stuff and fell in it with injury to both backside and ego.

A person can use LPS-2 for an effective surface preservative but it's the inside that generally needs the attention. Pickling of carburetors and fuel systems components is generally done by filling them with light oil. A person has to drain and flush them prior use.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 06:04 PM   #7
1crosscut

For storing the battery I'd fully charge it and then set a reminder on my phone every two or three months going forward to check it with a voltage meter or a hydrometer.
Charge if needed.