Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Low Speed Pedal Sticking

The low pedal is sticking and I am trying to determine whether to lengthen the low speed connector or tighten up the band a bit more.

The hogshead has a new cam inside and the low pedal has been welded up and re-ground smooth. As you can see in the pictures, the pedal is going down where the cam is going "over-center" and causing the pedal to stick. I have a good solid engagement when the pedal is depressed (about ¾" off the floor) in low gear so tightening another ½ round might cure the problem but I do have Kevlars in it and I am paranoid of bands that drag. If I lengthen the low speed connector, will that correct it, ...and does that harm anything? How is that supposed to be adjusted?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0680.jpg (81.7 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0681.jpg (84.6 KB, 86 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
Model T Monte

Default Re: Low Speed Pedal Sticking

Brent, I think the adjustment of the linkage is how I cured one of mine when it wouldn`t disenguage. It can really make you open your eyes in tight quarters. I`ve also had floorboards shift and bind. Monte
Model T Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #3
flivver king

If all your band and link adjustments are Good don't be afraid to realign the pedal to the floor board slot as needed. Most pedals are or have been bent somewhat for what ever reason. 2 good old fashion wagon or monkey wrenchs or pipe wrenchs with as long as a handle as you can use ,both in unison will do. Never had a pedal break yet. David
flivver king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Brent, your linkage is way off. Put the Hi lever all the way forward. Take the pin out of the slow speed connector, and pull the low pedal all the way back, you can wire it there, or have some one hold it there. Then turn the connector out to match the hole, and the pin to a nice slip fit. When that is done, take the connector, and turn in, 1/2 turn, to make sure it does not bind. This should never have to be adjusted again, and your pedal should be comming through the floor boards in the right place. If you have egg shaped holes from wear, to work with, you may have to compensate. This adjustment is for ALL Model T's. When we rebuild, we fill all holes with, Brass, and drill. If your bands don't need relining, adjust your low band on the out side, of the hogs head, just not so tight, as to drag. Now, pull the hi lever back, just so the bolt goes over, or up on the cam. The lever should be 1/2 way, or stright up. You may now have to readjust the cam bolt to get neutral. I also take the band lid off to check the fingers, and all bands. Now, all the movement left in the hi lever, is used for brakes. Although, I have told you more then I know, any questions, you can call 515-546-4551 anytime, thanks Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

UPDATE on this:

It was the bands that were too loose. As I recall, I tightened the band nut one complete round and it took care of it and then just prior to the South Dakota tour, I tightened it a little more due to the kevlars seating and I have not touched them since nor has the pedal stuck since. Thanks all...

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #6
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
UPDATE on this:

It was the bands that were too loose. As I recall, I tightened the band nut one complete round and it took care of it and then just prior to the South Dakota tour, I tightened it a little more due to the kevlars seating and I have not touched them since nor has the pedal stuck since. Thanks all...

Brent, if it worked before, by tighting the nut, it will naturally move the car again. What I am saying, the first thing you do is, adjust the clevis for free travel. That has to be right, before you do anything else, when you get that right, it should last to the next rebuild, or unless it is wore out. If you haven't done that, the next time the band wears, you will have the same OVER CENTER CONDITION, nothing will have changed. If you adjust the clevis right, OK, but by looking at your original TWO Pictures, the low pedal should be back further then that. The reason for that adjustment, is all the travel that peddle has to do. Go's from in High, then, neutral, and from there into low. When you have the travel right, you you can go through all those positions, and have alot of band adjustment, and not so close to the over center position. I see your clevis has all it's adjustment, all to one end, as in short, that will also change. In short, if you pull out the clevis pin, and pull back the low pedal, and the pin will not go in again, adjust it until it does, and then do all the other adjustments. Thanks Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote