Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-09-2022, 10:19 AM   #41
bobv

Default Re: You ever do something really STUPID?

Isn't it amazing how much abuse the human body can take, I guess I'm trying to find out.
bobv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:20 AM   #42
JBill

Done stupid things? If you ask me, hardly ever. If you ask my wife, well. . . . You're likely to get a different answer!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #43
noyo55

Three marriages does that count? With a Model A back in 1966 going down a long hill I decided to see what it would do. Got it up to 70---knocked the rear main out, my first engine change. Just getting ready to put in the fourth one in. Inserted B with one of Pete's 1007B cams and Tods 7-1 heads.
noyo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:12 PM   #44
BillCNC

Well, this happened today, does this count and what are my options?

Regards
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220309_141335.jpg (120.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 20220309_141330.jpg (106.1 KB, 52 views)
BillCNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 01:56 PM   #45
vangogh

The other day I was unable to start my "Vicky". Looked all over the place and decided my 93 yr. old coil finally bit the dust. So I ordered a new one from Berts. In the meantime, I chanced to look at the fuse on the started only to discover that was the problem. Duh! Maybe look at that first
vangogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:59 AM   #46
ETAModel

I worked for a heavy construction company building a road. The boss bought bulk water from a nearby private lake with a concrete overflow spillway with a release valve on top. Boss said if you can swim we'll get some water. I swam to overflow, but valve was stuck. Boss said he'd get a wrench. He had a 36" pipe wrench!! I stuck it in my belt and swam back, using wrench to open the valve. I close the valve, stick wrench back in my belt, and let go of the valve. The 20 odd pound wrench takes me down like an anchor. I'm swimming like hell for the surface, and the water turns lighter in color! Oh God! I'm dying! I thought. Then I break thru to the surface. The boss has his shoes off, standing at water's edge.
He brought a Jon boat the next day and some other fool rowed to the valve. I told the boss where to put the 36" wrench!
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #47
Ed in Maine

We have all been there. How about checking the radiator on a Model T just after a qood run? When I got to the last thread on the cap it blew right out of my hand spraying boiling water all over the place including my favorite T-shirt!! It was the first sun burn I got without going to the beach. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:15 AM   #48
Ten1nis

Not me but a friend of mine. He worked at a metal stamping plant. He crushed his index finger on his right hand. Returning to work two weeks later, he was showing the safety inspector how it happened and he crushed the index finger of his left hand!!!
Ten1nis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 01:22 AM   #49
ETAModel

Dad worked with a guy who was missing his index and middle finger on both hands. After a while someone asked him how he lost them? He said he inherited his granddad's double barrel shotgun, but was told it was worn out. He was sitting in a field and bored put his 2 fingers in the barrel and bumped the stock on the ground. Both barrels went off and he lost 2 fingers.

A few years later someone asked him how he lost the 2 fingers? He picked up the shotgun, stuck the OTHER 2 fingers in the barrel, bumped the butt on the ground, and it went off again!
Some people's children!
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 09:45 AM   #50
The Master Cylinder

Many years ago in the shop a guy was working on a egine and got his hand in the fan. Poor guy, I think he was in shock!

When we ran up to help him, someone asked him what happened and he turned and pointed at the fan with his other hand and hit it again.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:00 AM   #51
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
OMG!! I did not think of that!!
That's ok, just use the other hand, that's what I do.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 08:02 AM   #52
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Well, this happened today, does this count and what are my options?

Regards
Bill
No problem, jus install a larger doily to cover it up.
Old 03-16-2022, 08:07 AM   #53
old31

Here is a dumb, costly mistake.

Many years ago my cousin bought a new 63 Corvette and wanted to do his own oil change, and asked me for help because he did not own a tool.

After we finished the job he slammed the hood down. BUT he forgot to remove the quart can off of the air filter.

It is amazing how fiberglass can bend and crack and snap at the same time.

He just looked at his new car and cried.
Old 03-16-2022, 12:39 PM   #54
Keith True

My boss was changing oil in a B Model Mack,and I was on a milk crate balancing the case of oil for him.I'd punch the spout in a can,hand it to him,and after he was done I'd toss the empty over my shoulder and open a new one.It took a total of 24 quarts,so when the case was empty I jumped to the ground with it.Then I went flat on my back,whacked my head on the floor,and kind of grayed out for a minute or two.I had jumped in the 24 quarts of oil that had run right out through the open drain plug.I wasn't doing the job,I had just walked in the door in time to be the box holder so he wouldn't have to jump up and down.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 03:38 PM   #55
pcpat

I was using paint stripper to strip the paint off of my front fender of a AA I was restoring. I was smart and put plastic sheets over the make-shift bench made out of some plastic saw horses and wood boards I also layed plastic over the garage floor for easy clean-up. After stripping the paint, i noticed a small crack on the fender, I figured it would be an easy fix so pulled out the welder and proceeded to fill in the crack. With the welding helmet still on and the crack all welded up I noticed my arms were unusually warm?? I took off the helmet and found my makeshift the bench was a blaze (who knew paint stripper was flamable). The little drips of fire from the bench was now dripping down from the bench to the plastic on the floor was now circling the the garage, I yelled for my daughter to bring the fire extingusher (you would have thought I would have had it out while welding). I srarted stomping out the flames on the floor and grabbed the bench, saw horses and fender and tossed everything out into the driveway (That poor fender). Trying to keep the flames from the motorcycles and other stuff my daughter quickly came out with the extingusher, shaking her head and leaving the house. I was able to put out the flames (Wow, those little extingushers really make a mess) without needing to call the fire department.
Lessons learned... 1.Always have an extingusher handy when welding 2.Dont use paint stipper and a welder at the same time 3. A quick responding daughter is great to have around.
pcpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:45 PM   #56
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Try using the other end of the pencil.
Now that is funny Katy
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2022, 05:58 PM   #57
burner31

Back in the early '70's my brother and I were changing the oil in his '69 SS CAMERO, of course we were drinking beer and smoked a little weed, as we were pouring the oil in we got down to the last quart when we noticed the pool of oil at our feet, till this day we still argue about who was to put the plug back in.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote