Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #1
Ed in Maine

Default Model A Roadster/Pheaton Security

I am looking for a Model A open car and I'v noticed that these cars do not have door locks. I realize with side curtains that there is not a lot of protection here but I'm curious how open car owners protect their stuff when you go on a tour with the club for few days, while you are traveling and stop at restaurants, etc? My previous Model A was a Town Sedan, a nice driving car. Thank you for your comments, Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
ericr

Default Re: Model A Roadster/Pheaton Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I am looking for a Model A open car and I'v noticed that these cars do not have door locks. I realize with side curtains that there is not a lot of protection here but I'm curious how open car owners protect their stuff when you go on a tour with the club for few days, while you are traveling and stop at restaurants, etc? My previous Model A was a Town Sedan, a nice driving car. Thank you for your comments, Ed

-another good reason to have a trunk, not a rumble seat
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Big hammer

Under the rear seat in a tudor sedan is a good place to store stuff, out of sight out of mind!
Old 08-16-2018, 11:14 AM   #4
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
-another good reason to have a trunk, not a rumble seat
Erica,

My 1929 Roadster has a lockable rumble compartment. So the answer is put your valuables in the lockable Rumble compartment or the trunk of a Roadster.

Not sure about a Phaeton, but I assume a lockable accessory "trunk" at the back would be handy.

I've seen unusual lockable "boxes" of all kinds used in the beds of Roadster Pickups.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:11 PM   #5
vulture

I have been driving open cars for 30 years from model a roadsters and drive a 1968 ford bronco roadster daily. You kinda learn not to bring much with you and accept the stuff left behind is fair game. I know car show are different then the local shopping mall or over night in a hotel parking lot. It’s amazing what people steal out of your car or truck when it’s all open.
Old 08-16-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
Chuck Sea/Tac

Can you install a under the floorboards box?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
Dave in MN

We have traveled 90,000 miles in our '29 Phaeton. We don't leave a GPS, phone, camera, billfold or any other item of value in plain view when we leave the car. We pack those items in our luggage which we keep in the back seat area. That being said, in all those miles, we have never had anything taken from our open car while unattended.

Kind of rebuilds your faith in your fellow man.
Good Day!
Dave in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #8
Bob-A

Cool Re: Model A Roadster/Pheaton Security

I leave most of my stuff in my '31 roadster rumble seat and/or trunk on back rack. The best protection is to not take your eyes off your car! {I learned
this habit from riding a Harley for many years.} Easier said then done, for sure. Sometimes paranoia is not such a bad thing.....

Bob-A
Bob-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:36 PM   #9
Jim M

My Roadster also has a lockable Rumble seat door. It also has a luggage rack. I have not had time yet but someday I hope to built a nice trunk that could lock and also have straps around it. That being said, every where I have taken my car I try to park it in eyesight and so far the only people that approach it are the older generation that marvel at it!! Have not done an overnight but would bet most any reputable hotel would let you park very close to the entrance where there are security cameras 24/7. I guess I also subscribe to the theory that it is a VERY small percentage of people who would steal from an antique car and that if they are going to they would ruin just about anything to do it.
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 02:00 AM   #10
Dodge

There is a lot of room under the front seat in a Roadster to stash stuff and under the front
and rear seats in the Pheaton. The locking trunk on the rear is a good idea also.
Things have changed around here in the last 10yrs. or so. There have been a lot more car
breakins.
For years we would not lock our cars and some times leave the keys in the ignition in the
driveway. Not any more.
For over 30yrs. we raced a car using an open trailer and open bed pickup truck to haul
it. We never had anything taken out of the back either at the track or on the road at a restaurant or overnight at a motel.
Although one time we got to the next race and there was $5 and a note that said, we broke down and and to use a bit of wire and a couple of wire ends. Thanks for having your tool box on your trailer.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 AM   #11
springerpete

I agree with Jim. My '29 roadster also has a lockable handle on the rumble seat + lots of storage out of sight under the seat cushion.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:40 AM   #12
Synchro909

In our tourer, I have a lockable trunk on the back and I made a cover to go from the back of the front seat to the back of the back seat. I also replaced the singe lift the dots for the hood with double ones along the side and attach it there too. Holes in the side also allow the side curtains to be installed on the rear doors with it on and once that it done, they can't be opened. Out of sight, out of mind, I figure and we've had nothing stolen yet. Even with the top down, the luggage etc under the cover is totally protected from the weather too. I expect that it would be beyond the intelectual capabilities of someone so stupid as to try stealing from cars for them to figure out how to take the curtain off, unclip the torneau cover and open the door. They could, of course simply cut the cover open IF they were carrying a knife but over here, it is unlikely somone would be armed even with a knife. Unlikely, not impossible! I figure if they have a knife, I'm not going to argue anyway.

Last edited by Synchro909; 08-18-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
1928Mik

In our Phaeton I use the pan for the side curtains, in the back under the floor, to put a few things. Then a hide a few things under the front seat. I sometimes stick flat or smaller items items under the front or rear floor mat if we run into a restaurant or gas station. Out of sight, out of mind.

-Life's Too Short To Drive Boring Cars-
1928Mik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:36 PM   #14
7_Zero

We do the same as 1928Mik, if it fits under the front or rear seat we will stuff it there. Floor mats really are handy for the small stuff, just have to remember something is there before stepping on it while getting back in the car. We also have a trunk and usually put the valuable items in that. If it is something we are not too concerned about we usually put it on the floor and put a blanket or jacket over it. A big help while on tour is to have a friend with a closed car who is willing to share space. Otherwise we pack it with us, or park the car where it is in view.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #15
John Stone

When we travel in the roadster, we take most everything visible in the passenger compartment into the motel at night. The cb radio is covered with a black towel and glancing in, you can't see it in the dark. Been doing that for over 25 years. Now, driving the A400 presents another problem. The doors lock but if something valuable is visible, someone could cut the top to steal it. Even though we take everything in, I still lock it. Don't want anyone to steal the ash trays.
John Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:57 PM   #16
Bruce Adams

I put cameras and such in the closed rumble seat, to include on NYC streets. My eyeglasses and such are stowed under the top down. I also have a California Car Cover cockpit cover made for a 1932 street rod by them and it fits OK.
Frankly, I worry more at National Model A Meets then on a street in Manhattan, for what that is worthl
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2142.jpg (57.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2143.jpg (49.1 KB, 11 views)
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 10:10 PM   #17
BILL WILLIAMSON

REMEMBER, locks are just to keep HONEST Men, HONEST!!
Bill W.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:50 PM   #18
MVal

We have put many miles on the roadster and spent many nights at motels and parking garages. Our security is a car cover thinking what is out of sight is out of mind. Nothing lost so far!
MVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:20 AM   #19
t farr

I bought a cheap 6volt intruder alarm with remote. Installed it under the fuel tank on the side so wouldn't go off with walkers by. Wired it straight to the battery as the body is plastic. picks up anyone leaning in or opening the door. works fine with the roof down as well.
t farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:32 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by t farr View Post
I bought a cheap 6volt intruder alarm with remote. Installed it under the fuel tank on the side so wouldn't go off with walkers by. Wired it straight to the battery as the body is plastic. picks up anyone leaning in or opening the door. works fine with the roof down as well.
Do you have a link to the alarm?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote