Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2016, 07:51 PM   #41
Bored&Stroked

Default Re: Skip's pumps

There are tons of myths about flatheads and moving the water TOO fast - personally, I think most are just that. I used to listen to this stuff - and on my stock 39-48 pumps, cut off every other impeller and drilled 1/4" holes in the rest (that was what I was told was the hot ticket). Today - I believe the reason that that "fix" worked is that we had a terrible impeller design - lots of cavitation and no flow.

I use 'Stewart' mechanical pumps in some of my late model race engines - they are recognized as some of the best. So for those of you who think you need to slow it down - here is what they say:

Higher coolant flow will ALWAYS result in higher heat transfer. Coolant cannot absorb heat after it reaches it's pressure corrected vapor point. Furthermore, coolant absorbs heat at a progressively slower rate as it approaches this point
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:45 PM   #42
Ol' Ron

Default Re: Skip's pumps

One thing to consider id Bake cleaning the block before you start. When I ran my shop, all engines were bake cleaned and I used a pump made in Indiana. At the time they were 55 bucks apiece, have no idea what impeler they used. Never had a heating problem. Those that bought a short block furnished their own pumps as well as everything else. When Skip began building pumps, they looked like a good product, amd still do. As for the Ho-Hum pop corn eaters, have a great day.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)