Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #1
ericr

Default Restored Nebraska Model "A" Is junk

can someone please post the news article of today, where a Nebraska Model "A" owner cannot get the car licensed because it was once classified as junk.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 03:21 PM   #2
alexiskai

Default Re: Restored Nebraska Model "A" Is junk

https://journalstar.com/news/state-a...bf148417a.html

There's a Car & Driver story too but this one has more info.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 04:11 PM   #3
john in illinois

In Illinois I think this would be a salvage title. There are companies that specialize in getting a title for these cars. Need to have your ducks in a row when restoring an unlicensed car.

John

Last edited by john in illinois; 09-13-2019 at 04:16 PM.
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
Synchro909

I don't begin to understand the concept of a title for a car (we don't have them) but from what I've read here, some states over there don't issue titles for cars over a certain age. How would somebody from one of those states go if they owned such a car and moved to a state that does have titles for them? Is it possible to get this car registered in a state with no titles, then transfer it to your home state? Maybe create a bill of sale to help?
I'm only taking wild guesses here because I can't fathom such a (what seems to me) crazy system.

FWIW, If a car was involved in an accident here, the insuranced company assessors can write it off as a total loss or as a "Repairable Writeoff". The latter can be repaired and so long as it passes inspection, can be put back on the road.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM   #5
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
I don't begin to understand the concept of a title for a car (we don't have them) but from what I've read here, some states over there don't issue titles for cars over a certain age. How would somebody from one of those states go if they owned such a car and moved to a state that does have titles for them?
No problem titling a car brought into a title state from a non title state.
Quote:
Is it possible to get this car registered in a state with no titles, then transfer it to your home state? Maybe create a bill of sale to help?
This is done all the time. There are several companies that specialize in this. You "sell" your car to one of these companies, they register it in a non title state and "sell" it back to you. You then title it in your state.
Quote:
I'm only taking wild guesses here because I can't fathom such a (what seems to me) crazy system.
Oh, we have PLENTY of other crazy systems that make even LESS sense!
Old 09-13-2019, 06:05 PM   #6
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
No problem titling a car brought into a title state from a non title state.

This is done all the time. There are several companies that specialize in this. You "sell" your car to one of these companies, they register it in a non title state and "sell" it back to you. You then title it in your state.

Oh, we have PLENTY of other crazy systems that make even LESS sense!
Might be a way forward, then.
As for crazy systems, we have plenty too. Maybe it's because I grew up here and therefore understand the way it works here better but it seems to me you guys take the prize. When ever government of any pursuation gets involved, common sense go out the window, IMO.
Old 09-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #7
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
...but it seems to me you guys take the prize.
Agree...but it isn't much of a prize.
Old 09-13-2019, 07:00 PM   #8
updraught

Quote:
Might be a way forward, then.
As for crazy systems, we have plenty too. Maybe it's because I grew up here and therefore understand the way it works here better but it seems to me you guys take the prize. When ever government of any pursuation gets involved, common sense go out the window, IMO.
It's an older legal system than we have, which means more things are left over from the old days.
Our parliamentary system is "supposedly" based on the best of the British and American systems

We still have a state system for car rego unfortunately. The British federal system would be better.
Canada seems to have the state system too.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #9
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post

We still have a state system for car rego unfortunately. The British federal system would be better.
Canada seems to have the state system too.
IMHO, it makes no sense in the US for every state to have their own vehicle licensing rules and regulations...different traffic laws...unique drivers license requirements...different insurance requirements. It may have made sense when the car first came on the scene and people rarely left their county, but times have changed, and as with many things, we haven't kept up with the times.
Old 09-13-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
TerryO

It's all about the money (Licensing fees etc.)

TerryO
TerryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #11
Synchro909

Quote:
IMHO, it makes no sense in the US for every state to have their own vehicle licensing rules and regulations...different traffic laws...unique drivers license requirements...different insurance requirements. It may have made sense when the car first came on the scene and people rarely left their county, but times have changed, and as with many things, we haven't kept up with the times.
Not that I have the right to say much but I agree about the craziness of the states handling this stuff - and your states are so small!
FWIW, Australia is the same size as your lower 48 and has 6 states and 2 territories. The largest state is Western Australia, which if layed over the west of the US would cover an area to somewhere well east of the rockies, probably through about Denver is my guess. I love driving the A over those long distances where the highest spot between you and the horizon is the top of your own car.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:27 PM   #12
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
... I love driving the A over those long distances where the highest spot between you and the horizon is the top of your own car.
I flew from Sydney to Hong Kong once. From looking out the window it seemed like we remained over the same exact spot for several hours.
Old 09-14-2019, 12:48 AM   #13
Synchro909

Quote:
I flew from Sydney to Hong Kong once. From looking out the window it seemed like we remained over the same exact spot for several hours.
That sounds pretty right!
Old 09-14-2019, 08:37 AM   #14
denis4x4

Speedway Motors and the American Museum of Speed are in Lincoln, the capitol city of Nebraska. As a participant in the Speedster Reunion, I've toured the capitol and had lunch at Swanson Ford. Speedway is a major player in Lincoln and I suspect that the Smith brothers may intercede.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
abachman3

In Illinois, a few years ago, we had a number of titles revoked by the Secretary of State because the titles had been 'washed' by one of the out of state non-title required businesses. All of the revoked titles were then required to post a bond for three years at 150% of the value of the vehicle to ultimately get a good title in Illinois, if no one claimed that vehicle/title information.
abachman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #16
Synchro909

I've just built up a Model A from parts I had laying about. How would you guys get something like that on the road?
Old 09-14-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
I've just built up a Model A from parts I had laying about. How would you guys get something like that on the road?
It depends upon what state you live in.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:34 PM   #18
alexiskai

A typical process would be to (a) show any existing title for the chassis that you used; (b) complete an affidavit describing where the bits of the car are from, how you assembled it, and certifying that it meets state roadworthiness standards; and (c) have a DMV inspector check it out.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #19
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
A typical process would be to (a) show any existing title for the chassis that you used; (b) complete an affidavit describing where the bits of the car are from, how you assembled it, and certifying that it meets state roadworthiness standards; and (c) have a DMV inspector check it out.
That may be the case for NC. For WA, all you would need is that chassis title. No affidavit, no description of how you assembled it, no certification of roadworthiness, no DMV (DOL in Washington) inspection.

I think what Synchro is asking is "what if you didn't have any sort of title, but just assembled it from various parts." Again, every state will be different.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:35 AM   #20
Synchro909

Hmmm, seems the "United States" are not very consistent!
I know many over there consider this country to be solialist but we are far more consistent. Once registered in one state, easy in any other.
It's all acedemic becasue I will never need to put a car on the road over there and most likely none of you will need to do it here. Each visit I make to the US reminds me that our two countries are nearly the same but at the same time, very different