Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-18-2019, 02:56 PM   #1
wbs

Default steering wheel on mush roomed threaded shaft

hello tried all the suggested mehods of removal on prior threads without success--i noticed that the wheel hub has a steel disc -i am wondering about making some relaxing cuts in the disc so the wheel can be removed and then having a machine shop making a new disc---

what would help if anyone has a cross section diagram of the hub to see if the above is feasible

thanks
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: steering wheel on mush roomed threaded shaft

? Post a photo. 28/29? Can you get the nut off? If not, might try splitting the nut then use a puller to take the wheel off. I am having a hard time picturing a disk there. The only thing I can think of is the hub center that is part of the wheel ether splined or keyed depending on the type of steering installed. If the threads are booger-ed up, they make a repair part to welded in to replace the threaded end. The column would need to come out.

This is the only thing in a quick search that I found;
https://modelagarage.com/service_bul...teering-wheel/

After you get the wheel off use a thread chasing file to clean up the thread.

Last edited by redmodelt; 09-18-2019 at 08:43 PM.
redmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 10:41 PM   #3
old31

Not sure what you mean by a disc? As red said pictures will help.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:33 AM   #4
Ranchero50

There's a disc molded into the top of the wheel.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Joe K

There is a disk you can see when the light switch escutcheon is removed on the 28-29. The 30-31 has it too, but it is less obvious since the plastic/bakelite/whatever tends more to "surround" the disk.

I have removed a 30-31 wheel by carefully drilling two No. 7 holes diametrically opposite into this disk (careful not to drill through the back-side) and then tapping for 1/4-20 "puller bolts." These used with a bridge allowed me to "start" the wheel for removal.

I think the same exercise would be more difficult with the 28-29 wheel since there is less "plastic" to cover up drilling through.

But now for both are available from the retailers a "steering wheel puller" which grabs the wheel from behind.

Joe K
Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM   #6
redmodelt

Unless someone added a large washer on top, wouldn't that disk would be part of the center hub (kinda like a front wheel hub in shape without the drum), the part that has the hole drilled and broached for splines or key-way and the spokes are attached to.

My other suggestion is to carefully grind around the end and clean up as much of the mushroomed area as you can without going overboard and work the nut off, if it is still on. Then after the nut and wheel are off, clean up the thread with a thread file.

Any cutting on the disk could more or less render the steering wheel useless in my OP.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:41 PM   #7
wbs

thanks to all who replied--the car is a '30 -the nut is missing- i will try to get a photo out in the next day of the hub- the threaded end is so mush roomed from some one pounding on it that the wheel won't come off - i think if i try recreated original diameter, i wont have a threaded shaft left
wbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

https://youtu.be/er3gKmcWZJs

See this video. It worked for me on a really stuck wheel. Use a lot of nylon rope and cover with a big towel in case something let’s go.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:24 PM   #9
Ranchero50

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbs View Post
thanks to all who replied--the car is a '30 -the nut is missing- i will try to get a photo out in the next day of the hub- the threaded end is so mush roomed from some one pounding on it that the wheel won't come off - i think if i try recreated original diameter, i wont have a threaded shaft left
If the threads are mushroomed beyond reason you'll most likely need another shaft. The industrial repair is to cut the mushroomed section off flush with the wheel and pull it. In roller applications I've needed to use a lathe and counterbore the shaft so the gear or bearing can be pulled off. At that point the shaft is getting stubbed regardless. On an auto I'm sure it could be done by a DIY'er with the right tooling but not be economical if you are paying for the service.
Ranchero50 is offline   Reply With Quote