Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2019, 11:16 PM   #1
daveymc29

Default Strange Happenings health wise

About three to five months ago a few of us were helping another member exchange another H&H Engine in his coupe. Well we were exchanging that one for a B engine a guy donated to the cause until things got ironed out. My pal was under the car buttoning up the U-Joint and as he came out he staggered a bit and told me that had happened to him recently working on his hot rod 34. Came out from under it and was dizzy for a few minutes. Not a problem, Right? Well no, now it is a problem because it has happened to me twice today as I came out from under my coupe, I found it took me by surprise and it took me a few minutes to get back feeling normal. I called him and we discussed this bit of getting along in years. He has done nothing about it and I wont either until my next visit with the cardiologist, but it seems odd. He still has the same thing hit every time he goes under a car and it is looking like that may be my lot also. Any of you have similar events, know a sure cure, old wives tale, remedy, I'm into whatever? Hate to think all I can do is work topside from now on.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:25 AM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Strange Happenings health wise

Might try coming back to vertical slowly. Moderation.
You may be hearing alarms going off that aren't there.
Especially with the heat we have been having lately.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:26 AM   #3
tiger.1000

Maybe a sudden rush of blood to the head...happens to me occasionally....joys of getting old .Just take it easy and don't dwell on it !
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:30 AM   #4
Rob Needs

I've had this on and off for years and unwaxing the ears helped.
I was told I probably have benign vertigo. There is a manover you can use for this while lying on your back and turning the head 45 degree's and holding it there for a while ( it's on utube).
Rob Needs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:56 AM   #5
Ray64

I have same thing Doc sez the older you get when you get up like that it takes a while longer for the blood to expand your veins so as to get enough blood in the system He sez to sit up slowly and then stand up slowly
Ray64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:11 AM   #6
History

If you are on any kind of blood pressure meds it can also cause symptoms such as described. You mentioned cardiologist,,,, I've had an MI (heart attack)(at 45) and the signs I had that was one was coming were--, eye sight went blurry suddenly and cleared up suddenly, felt like I needed to burp to relieve discomfort and burning in my chest like I'd ran a hundred yard dash. I don't think any of these were at the same time. I looked really fit, not fat but not skinny, muscular. The doctors couldn't believe I was having one based on my appearance. Genetics and poor diet said otherwise. If it runs in your family, start acting like you've had one and maybe you won't. Eat to live, not live to eat and all that stuff.

Seems like vertigo is becoming more common as I have several friends be diagnosed with it. Hopefully it's nothing serious and just doing as some of the fellows mentioned will take care of it for you. Don't ignore it as your body tells you when something isn't right. I went to the doctor and had a stress test done and was told my chance of having a heart attack was %. He actually gave me a number but I can't remember it, it was a low chance I'd have one. Month later in er on vacation getting a blockage opened and stint placed.
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #7
Wick

Happens now and then. Allergies my dr. Told me years ago. Now I have a house cat and it happens a little more often. I thought it was the brand of beer I was drinking.
Wick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
mike657894

a sure cure, a diet of food you hate to eat. do you check your blood pressure daily? do you take a blood pressure medication? if your need for the medication has increased or decreased light headedness is a side effect. blood pressure pills and alcohol can also cause this problem. not while drinking but the day after. Consult your doctor to see if your meds are at the right levels. Myself a person in pretty good health. I can make my self feel like I have major problems light headedness, chest pain, joint pain, hip pain just from eating poorly. And I am surprised how good I can feel when I go a while without a meal worth eating,

I dont take any meds. But two different people around me have had to change their pills lately one for following his docs diets for the first time in 30 years and the other started doing daily cardio and had to change then change back after getting lazy on the workouts and blood pressure went back up

Last edited by mike657894; 09-06-2019 at 08:10 AM.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 AM   #9
Frank Miller

While I'm down there I take a nap, then get up. Seriously, I have always suffered from some degree of vertigo but lately it is worse working under cars. I think it is partly caused by having to wear glasses that don't work wel in the direction I'm looking.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
jhowes

Alll the others are giving you good advice. I have been down this road several times with strokes, heart attacks. bypass surgery, and now I have a defibrillator and pacemaker. Not overweight and fairly active. Still the vertigo happens. One word of advice and that is to go to your doctor and make sure he is on board with your care. Good luck. By the way, I am 83 this month. and still climb under the model A. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:19 AM   #11
daveymc29

You and me Jack. Maybe 83 is a magic number. Thanks everyone, seems quite common in the 80's. I'll recheck the meds with doctor and rise slowly.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:31 AM   #12
Benson

Long story short ... My mother had several falls in 2018...

Then one day she did not feel well so went to Doctor. Nurse found a heart beat of 37, three minutes later. Doctor got 60 beats ... I said didn't the nurse get 37? So Doc looked at chart and checked again and got 30... all within 10 minutes.

They put her on vitals monitor at hospital for 12 hours ... heart beats were changing every 2 hours or so then going back to 60.

Pace maker was installed and (they reset her points gap- ) she felt much better 1 hour after surgery.

When I talked to Doctor he said there are portable monitors that can be worn to monitor without hospital visits that can detect such conditions.

Last edited by Benson; 09-06-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 12:48 PM   #13
rocket1

I also have a problem with vertigo,am 77 and it has been the last couple of years,probably age related.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
Bob C

Had the same thing. Dr. said it was allergies affecting my ears took allergy meds
and all was ok.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
30 Closed Cab PU

Just saying - if it was me I would get to the doctor. Father had this issue when in his upper 70s, had low blood pressure. An Uncle started having this - partially blocked carotid arteries (neck). Dad was OK with Meds, Uncle had an ultrasound to confirm - then he had them cleaned out and went on blood thinners.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 02:06 PM   #16
Patrick L.

I don't have to climb from under a car to get dizzy. Just sticking the golf tee in the ground and straightening up does it, so, I seldom use a tee anymore.[smiley face]
Mine is from lack of blood pressure due to the treatments, which hasn't corrected itself yet.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:14 PM   #17
Bob/AZ

I had on several occasions the same thing happen to me laying on my back under the Model A and the 53 Buick. Extreme dizziness but only when I was looking straight up. When I would roll over it would go away after a minute or two.
I found out that it was caused by particles in the inner ear being in the wrong place in the canal. The attached "Foster Maneuver" cured it.
https://www.webmd.com/brain/home-remedies-vertigo#2-4
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #18
Bob/AZ

Better to google "Foster Maneuver" and you will get some good videos.
Bob/AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #19
Charlie Stephens

I am not a doctor. I think what the guys say is right but I also think I would move up my visit to the cardiologist (unless it is scheduled for tomorrow).

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 12:44 AM   #20
TerryH

I also had a few instances of vertigo, usually when lying down or getting up from bed. I found out in my case it was the inner ear problem someone posted earlier...small particles breaking off, affecting your equilibrium. There is an exercise to help stop it....mine went away on its own after about a week. Might be your problem.....
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote