Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-26-2020, 02:41 PM   #1
jbwthree

Default Fun Projects Cutout

Hello all, tried the search but couldn’t find an answer to my question. I recently purchased a generator cutoff from Mike’s and it turns out it is a Fun Projects unit. My question is in regards to the generator output adjustment. It says to set the generator to 5A max with lights off when installing. My car is typically at 10A no load and 0A with the headlights. It seems if I set it lower, I’ll be draining the battery when running lights. Is 5A in fact the limits of the solid state cutoff ? Thoughts and prior experiences would be appreciated !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jbwthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #2
1955cj5

Default Re: Fun Projects Cutout

I remember the instructions calling for no more than 15 amps....Do you have the same instruction sheet?

There is a link to the instructions on the Fun Projects web page

http://www.funprojects.com/products/5055r.cfm
Old 12-26-2020, 02:56 PM   #3
jbwthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955cj5 View Post
I remember the instructions calling for no more than 15 amps....Do you have the same instruction sheet?

There is a link to the instructions on the Fun Projects web page

http://www.funprojects.com/products/5055r.cfm

Thanks for the quick reply. This is the cutout only and not the regulator. It didn’t come with any instructions, just the label shown below. Their website doesn’t have any additional instructions either.

Old 12-26-2020, 03:07 PM   #4
1955cj5

Well that is interesting. 5 amps doesn't seem right.....I'd try calling Mike's, maybe they have the answer....
Old 12-26-2020, 03:25 PM   #5
nkaminar

Does anyone make the original style cutout with the contacts that close when the generator starts to put out current? Seems to me that would work better than a diode.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 03:32 PM   #6
jbwthree

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
Does anyone make the original style cutout with the contacts that close when the generator starts to put out current? Seems to me that would work better than a diode.

Yes, that type is available as well but I thought I was doing one better with this option. My old cutout gets stuck on when I shut off the engine so I need to replace it soon !

Old 12-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
rotorwrench

I have no experience with John Regan's cut-out P/N 10505. I would assume that he used a heavy duty diode in his units since that's likely what his voltage regulators have. The heavy duty power diodes can generally take relatively high amp loads but I don't know what he used. If a person likes to drive with the lights a lot then they will have to get used to adjusting the third brush whenever they use the vehicle for sustained drives with the lights on or the battery will run down. If a person drives during the daytime hours the 5-amps is enough to prevent overcharging the battery.

The old 3-brush generator units had a hard life if folks left them at 10-amps all the time and the battery will suffer overcharge. This is why John developed the voltage regulator that looked like a cut-out. This takes the load off of the generator as long as the battery is in a good state of charge. With an OEM cut-out or a diode, the generator has to charge at what ever it is set at all the time. Setting the generator high all the time would require using the headlamps all the time to prevent overcharge but the generator is still working pretty hard all the time too.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-26-2020 at 03:58 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
GRutter

It appears you have their cutout rather than their voltage regulator.

I don't have any idea why they would want to limit generator output to 5a, unless for daytime driving only.

I have their voltage regulator and it works great. Their website says they are back-ordered.
Call Shawna Devine 866-302-3673 or send an email to [email protected]. She will get back to you when they are available.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #9
midgetracer

Does the tag say 5 amp only with lights on? if that is so, it would be 10-15 amps with lights off. Your picture does not show the whole cutout label.
midgetracer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 02:11 AM   #10
Chuck Sea/Tac

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
It appears you have their cutout rather than their voltage regulator.

I don't have any idea why they would want to limit generator output to 5a, unless for daytime driving only.

I have their voltage regulator and it works great. Their website says they are back-ordered.
Call Shawna Devine 866-302-3673 or send an email to [email protected]. She will get back to you when they are available.
Exactly: get the info from the horses mouth! They made it. They would be the best to give you the correct info for that particular item!
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #11
jbwthree

Thanks again all. I have emailed Fun Projects and I’ll let everyone know what they have to say.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:08 AM   #12
Badpuppy

With original 21 CP headlamps, single 6 CP tail light and normal battery charge, the generator draw is approximately 15A. With lights off, it should be around 6A. There's something wrong with that 5A statement.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 12:02 PM   #13
rotorwrench

The amp meter is going to register output while the engine is running with the lights off. If the ignition system is drawing 5 or 6 amps, that would give a near zero amp indication while the engine is running. With the engine running and the 3rd brush adjusted to an indication of 5-amps, that would be 5-amps plus whatever load draw there is.

Intermittent circuits like the horn or brake light, would show a lower reading when those items are in operation. A car would do fine for daytime driving. Night time would be a different story but the battery would carry extra load for a while until it loses capacity from discharge.

This instruction was likely just to make certain that the operator didn't add unnecessary overcharge for daytime operation. The units should have come with an instruction sheet to explain better what the intent of the instructions was. A good diode set up should be able to take what ever is thrown at it by such a limited generator design. I don't think I would worry about that much. If a person runs with lights a lot then they can adjust it to run with lights all the time if it will carry the total load. This was always a problem with the early 3-brush low output generators.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 12-28-2020 at 12:09 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #14
Kurt in NJ

I made a diode cutout many years ago using a delco press in diode in original cutout, I removed the coil and armature, drilled a hole in the relay frame and pressed it in, it was a used diode found in trash, both generator and cutout survived 18 amps output for a while, cut it back to 14 when I put in the halogen headlights---- this charge rate works for me, have brilliant lights, and long battery life, usually over 50% of my driving is at night. If I was going cross country I would set it back to 6-8, as it is on long daylight driving I will "regulate " by turning on headlights some.
The "fun project regulators " used a chip that is no longer made, could be a reason they are backordered.
Several "experts " have told me that the diode conversion wouldn't last because of the low amperage diode from the first generation delco alternator, and the limited size of the heat sink, after 30+years (47 on the generator) I would say I haven't asked too much of it
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote