Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-17-2017, 07:20 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Model A parts being hand made at national metal meet

Jim and I just got back from the 2017 metal meet annually held in Oblong, Illinois. Here are some pictures, but first I would like to take time to thank those that interrupt their lives to host such a great event. Doug Haydorn and Doug Ganschow have always been my go-to guys, but they are only part of a great group of folks that include Kelly Tracey and his wife Susan, Steve Bowden and his wife Susan. Like Johnson always seems to be around helping some one in some way. Prayers and best wishes for Doug Hawkins and his wife Cindy as they were unable to attend this years event.

Below, Jim Hery and Robert Anton practice the setup on the English wheel for using the go-cart tire attachment to make the upper panel for a Model A hood.
Oblong2017 116.jpg

Below, jim and Robert get close to the shape they are looking for.
Oblong2017 118.jpg

It's hard to see in this picture but the shape is getting very close to what they were looking for. The panel that they will actually use will have the hinge segments cut in on the water jet prior to rolling, and then the hinges will be rolled.
Oblong2017 121.jpg

Pat Brubaker from hasting, Nebraska has formulated a series of upper and lower components to use an arbor press to form tucks that facilitate shrinking the edges of metal panels.
Oblong2017 147.jpg

In this picture, it shows a wooden fixture that he will use to make a rear Model A fender.
Oblong2017 148.jpg

The young man with Pat in this picture is a young man visiting the US as part of a grant provided by the English government to study the art of metal shaping for the use in auto restoration.
Oblong2017 149.jpg

Below, Pat is using the English wheel to smooth the edges created on his arbor press machine.
Oblong2017 151.jpg

Here, Pat is comparing his work to the original Model A fender.
Oblong2017 152.jpg

Pat is making great progress here. As unbelievable as it may sound, Pat has homed his skills so that he can actually make a complete Coupe fender out of three pieces, TIG weld it together , wire edge and add the character line in ONE DAY for the hot rod guys. I make the re-enforcement inserts that go inside and they can be added later to use as original style fenders.
Oblong2017 153.jpg

This is at the start of the test piece being shaped.
Oblong2017 154.jpg

Pats creativity and the speed of this new English wheel drew a crowd all during this 5-day event in Illinois.
Oblong2017 156.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 10-17-2017 at 07:41 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 07:38 AM   #2
Terry, NJ

Default Re: Model A parts being hand made at national metal meet

Thanks for sharing , Will! Always a pleasure to see guys making things that are "Unmakeable". Interesting use for a small arbor press! I'm considering the conversion of my vertical log splitter into a hydraulic press.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
M.W.Miller

The hand made national metal meet.Great to see such instruction, and talent. Where could I find more info on this event and is it held more then once a year?

Mike
M.W.Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
RockHillWill

Mike, the meet is held right at this time of year on an annual basis. Regular input on these events are available on some websites. I am an administrator on Allmetalshaping.com, and we have other gatherings as well. they are all posted plenty of time in advance. I host a metal meet in South Carolina around the first week in April. I often have it in conjunction with hosting a class put on by really well known metal shapers, from Australia, Sweden, the Netherlands, Nebraska and other places as well. I have grown very fond of attending these events, because folks there share their knowledge rather than list their accomplishments. Watching Pat make a fender in one day was an awe inspiring revelation. generally. This event in Oblong, Illinois is $100 for a weeks attendance. Other events are on a donation basis, only. You always learn things that you never knew existed, or an easier way.