Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #21
Rex_A_Lott

Default Re: Peter Tommasini metal shaping class with two Fordbarn members is about to begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Kelley View Post
First I want to Thank Will for opening up his shop and hosting this class. I learned a lot and would not hesitate to recommend this class to anyone with the slightest interest in sheet metal at any level.
Here are before and after pictures of my compressor cowl corners that we repaired as part of a 'class project'. The right side is not quite done yet. You can see the arc where it is marked to be cut out for the compressor air tank. What really amazed me is that we actually formed these 'patch' panels out of a flat piece of steel right there during the class.
Nice first post Gary! I hope you dont wait 6 years until the next one. Glad to see you made it home safely.
Will was an awesome host, I was really amazed at some of the equipment he has collected and created. He also offered to help me on any Model A projects I had and after looking at his two Henry awards, I realized that there is a wealth of knowledge there that I cant just run down to the store and buy...it only came through years of research hard work!
Rex_A_Lott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 06:57 AM   #22
RockHillWill

Default Re: Peter Tommasini metal shaping class with two Fordbarn members is about to begin

I too, would like to thank Gary for making his first post. I hope it is not the last. I would also like to ask him to post some pictures of the top area of that cowl that he had at the class. It is a commercial style, and I would like to look at it again and invite other 'barners' to comment on it as well.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 11-04-2016 at 12:16 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #23
RockHillWill

Default Re: Peter Tommasini metal shaping class with two Fordbarn members

Just as an aside, the orders for last shipment of Tommasini wheeling machines have been accumulating. I have just taken an order for another wheeling machine, leaving only one (maybe two) left. Peter will be back in Australia in early December and have them painted and packaged towards the end of December. Delivery will take 6-8 weeks after that time. I will keep folks posted. This might not appear be of a large interest here on this site, but their may be a discerning quality automobile restorer visiting, or lurking in the background that would be interested in a professional tool of this caliber.
Old 11-07-2016, 10:00 AM   #24
RockHillWill

I have just taken an order for another wheeling machine, leaving only one left. Peter will be back in Australia in early December and have them painted and packaged towards the end of December. Delivery will take 6-8 weeks after that time. I will continue to keep folks posted.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #25
RockHillWill

During the class, a discussion arose regarding a statement that I have made that mentioned the previous week, while at Jim's, I took a nice smooth panel made in Peters machine and when installed into another (fabricated) machine it put marks in the panel.

This test was done when I was at Jim Hery's measuring more on the Bugatti project. The test machine that we used was one that I fabricated using some leftover parts that Jim had in his shop. I have long been suspect of the segments made when making a fabricated wheeling machine, so I drew up a design in SolidWorks that I felt would eliminate the erratic loading of different segment lengths. I made several tests that made me feel good about vertical deflection, and went forward with the build, only to discover that I had underestimated the concern about left-to-right movement of the upper wheel in regards to the lower anvil.

It was my determination at that time that the issue with the fabricated wheel was that it moved side to side when the smooth panel made on Peters machine was inserted into my machine. The movement off-center of the wheels resulted in a lowering of the pressure, and when the panel was pushed or pulled back between the rollers the pressure was regained only to be lessened again. Erratic movement with this situation is what I believed to be the issue. This highlights one of the major advantages to Peter wheeling machine design. In my thinking, I was trying to eliminate the segmented loading of the frame by using a water jet contour to provide a linear response to a load at the wheels. I have included some pictures of my machine without the top and bottom plates and one with the plates in place. The difference that I am trying to highlight is the cross section at the lower back portion of the frame. My machine cross section left to right is constant, and I feel that it is suitable for the vertical loading, but grossly insufficient in the left-to-right 'twist' concern. A close look at Peters machine will see that he has addressed this issue by gradually changing the cross section from a vertical load concern to a horizontal load concern, resulting in a wider cross section at the base of the backbone.

BenchWheel.jpg

JIMS1 003b.jpg

Oblong 008.jpg

Oblong 040.jpg

Oblong 083.jpg