Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2016, 03:36 PM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Peter Tommasini metal shaping US class schedule

There are a number of folks on this site that are very interested in metal shaping as an approach to restoring their Model A's. That is how I got involved. I found that not all those that thought that they were good metal restorers were able to provide the quality that I needed for the fine point 'stuff' that I was working on. I learned a hell of a lot from some very talented metal shapers, and like the best of the Model A restorers, they were happy to provide assistance at no charge, If I were willing to pass it on to others with the same interest, especially those younger folks among us. This is part of my desire to 'pass it forward' to those that might have an interest.

Peter Tommasini is the gentleman that I have been importing the English wheels from, and has been doing high end 'coach built ' auto restoration on three continents. He is from Australia and this is his tour schedule for the US in 2016. I have hosted these classes previously and he is able to share info that most metal shapers thought impossible, using only a stump, hammer and the wheeling machine. This is a long winded introduction to merely say that I am again hosting one of his event in Rock Hill, S.C.. There are others as well. This is the first day presenting the schedule, and if anyone is interested, early contact might prove to be beneficial. Last year the cost was $650 for the four days. (Peter has not revealed if the tuition has changed).

First class: Jim Hery in Belfast, Tenn October 19th thru the 22nd.

Second class: Will Cronkrite in Rock Hill, S.C. October 26th thru the 29th.

Third class: Mike Phillips in Philadelphia November 2nd thru 5th.

Fourth class: Robert McCarthy in Leonardtown, Md. Nov. 9th thru 12th

Respond to this post with contact info if you have an interest, and the hosting gentleman will get in touch with you. I do know that there is already a waiting list from those folks that did and did not attend last year.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 08-15-2016 at 08:21 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Peter Tommasini metal shaping US class schedule

I've had dealings with Peter - always good and his work redefines "First Class" upwards a few notches.
Old 08-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #3
RockHillWill

Classes are beginning to be filled up.

4-left in Tenn.
4-left in SC
1-left in MD
?-left in PA
Old 08-16-2016, 06:40 PM   #4
RockHillWill

Peter has confirmed that the tuition will be the same as last year @$650 for the four day event. PM me for PayPal transfer address and/or mailing
address.
Old 08-17-2016, 01:02 AM   #5
fordcragar

If you are on the fence, you might look at some of Peter's youtube video's. Check out his the clip on making a Monaro quarter panel; which is made from one piece of sheet metal. Peter's has a set of video's for sale that show in detail how to make the Monaro quarter panel in one piece; which is a 3 DVD set.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...eter+tommasini

Last edited by fordcragar; 08-18-2016 at 01:14 AM.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 05:54 AM   #6
RockHillWill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
These two links will be helpful for those thinking that you need to be experienced in metal shaping to attend a class of this gentleman's caliber. The opposite is actually true. Peter stresses the use of hand tools and basic and inexpensive tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FXMg6gKgak

This link is to a video that has made Peter famous around the world. He makes an entire Manaro (Chevy Chevelle) quarter panel COMPLETE, using only a hammer, sand bags and that wheeling machine. He displays many unbelievable tips and tricks on the English wheel that leaves you shaking your head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSwb6craw3o

If you have an interest , you can PM me or reply to this post.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:29 AM   #7
RockHillWill

As has always been the case, these Tommasini metal shaping classes are very popular. It looks like the classes in the Maryland and Pennsylvania area filling fast and an additional class in each area might be forming. In addition to each hosts well equipped shop, the Tommasini cast iron wheeling machine like these in the attached photo will be available for use and instruction from the designer himself will be a part of each of these classes. I have particularly found that this wheeling machine lends itself to the quick formation of low crown panels used in the formation of Model A doors and side panels when using the full radius lower anvils. During the course that Peter teaches, he explains the very basics of metal shaping using only the hammer, stump and wheeling machine and expands the presentations to include the shaping of complete body panels, patch panels, fender repair, character line building, gas welding panels, planishing. After attending one of Peters classes, I built the side panels, back doors and lower drop floor of a Model A Ford panel delivery truck. Peter also spends time explaining the difference between using his cast iron type wheeling machine vs the fabricated ones and the amount of time saved in doing so.

PM me or reply to this post for additional information.

The wheeling machines in these photos are being shipped to Oregon, Massachusetts, Maryland and Wisconsin.

pallets 011.jpg

pallets 012.jpg

pallets 014.jpg
Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #8
31Tudor

I got to see the wheeling machine this weekend. Very impressive!
31Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:22 AM   #9
RockHillWill

The original scheduler of these classes was unable to participate this year and the schedule has just been assembled among those that have expressed an interest in hosting them again this year. As it currently stands, Peter will be arriving in Nashville,and travelling with Jim Hery and I to Oblong (October 10th thru the 15th). Peter will be traveling back to Jim's for Jims classes the week after Oblong (October 19th thru the 22nd). Jim will then be bringing Peter to Rock Hill for that class (October 26th thru the 29th.Peter will then be taken to Philldelphia for MotoMikes class(es) and then on to Roberts class in Maryland. As always, these classes are being filled quite rapidly.

Jim Hery's Belfast, Tenn. class is almost full and he is considering another class.

The Rock Hill Class has two openings left at this time.

MotoMikes class (in Philly) is full and he is considering another class as well.

Roberts class in Maryland)is either full or close to it. Contact them for the updated information, or reply to this post and someone will get the contact made.

As in years past, your spot in the class is not confirmed until the host has received the $650 class fee.

Please let your interests known ASAP as the hosts and Peter have to make advance arrangements, etc.
Old 09-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #10
RockHillWill

Due to an increased demand for this class, the second class dates have been set for Peter's classes hosted by Jim Hery in Belfast, Tenn. The 'additional' class will be held from October 6th thru October 9th. (Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday). Please PM or contact Jim Hery for additional information.

The class in Rock Hill, S.C. still has 2-spots available. PM me for additional information on the class being held from October 26th thru the 29th.

The class in Maryland may have an opening, and one class in Philly is full and I believe another has been scheduled there as well.

One of the reasons that these classes traditionally fill up so fast is that Peters classes are based on metal shaping fundamentals in a manner that both 'newbies' and experienced metal shapers alike are exposed to the traditional hand crafted technics that form the basic fundamentals of learning how metal responds and moves in response to pressure. Peter has often been called a metal magician when folks are amazed at how he can predict the movement of metal 2-3 steps in advance of hitting the first blow. View Peter Tommasini on YouTube for the info that he is willing to share with the public. Much more is seen when attending his class.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:10 PM   #11
RockHillWill

I am hearing more and more from folks in the Model A community about an increase in interest in learning the more historical and authentic methods of panel repair and replacement. Here is an update to the classes that have been added due to some of this interest.

Here is the updated schedule for Peter's classes here in the US.

Oct. 6th thru 9th at Jim Hery's in Belfast Tenn. (spot might be available).

Peter will be in Oblong, Ill. October 11th thru 15th.

Oct. 19th thru 22nd at Jim Hery's in Belfast, Tenn.(class is full).

Oct.26th thru 29th at my place in Rock Hill, S.C. (1-spot is available).

Nov. 2nd thru 5th at Mike Phillips in Philly. (class is full).

Nov. 10th thru 13th at Roberts in Maryland (class is full).

Nov. 14th thru 17th at Mike Phillips in Philly (spot might be available).

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post or contact one of the hosts.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 09-12-2016 at 02:39 PM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
RockHillWill

I just received another deposit. There is now only one spot left in the Rock Hill class.
Old 09-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #13
RockHillWill

In preparation for the upcoming classes, I finally got the mounting table finished for the Tommasini wheeling machine and have added some anvil racks and posts for hold the different upper wheels and the lower anvils. I have both the original Aussie upper wheel and one that was specially made for me at Hoosier Profiles. (see above post). I have also gotten to a point that I can make a rubber go-kart tire be used based on the posts from Robert McCarthy. But the big news is that skill level and productivity levels have improved with the appropriate working attire (LOL). The rubber tire is being made useable as it works extremely well for forming straight curve, and is MUCH faster than using steel anvils.

Mechammer 003.jpg

Mechammer 004.jpg

Mechammer 006.jpg

BobK2 045.jpg

BobK2 047.jpg

BobK2 059.jpg

Misc2 008.jpg
Old 09-12-2016, 08:03 PM   #14
RockHillWill

I have updated the recent post regarding the class dates for the Tommasini metal shaping classes.

The second class that is being held in Philly is now from October 15th thru the 18th.

The class being held in Rock Hill now only has one opening left.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #15
RockHillWill

Here is the latest update on the US Tommasini metal shaping classes:

Oct. 6th thru 9th at Jim Hery's in Belfast Tenn. (3-spots are available).

Peter will be in Oblong, Ill. October 11th thru 15th.

Oct. 19th thru 22nd at Jim Hery's in Belfast, Tenn.(class is full).

Oct.26th thru 29th at my place in Rock Hill, S.C. (1-spot is available).

Nov. 2nd thru 5th at Mike Phillips in Philly. (class is full).

Nov. 10th thru 13th at Roberts in Maryland (class is full).

Nov. 15th thru 18th at Mike Phillips in Philly (spot might be available).

If you have any questions, feel free to reply to this post or contact one of the hosts.