Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default Model A items to be worked on at the 2016 Redneck Roundup

I have learned that there is a fairly large number of Model A folks (several on this site) that are into metal shaping and I am posting this info as an update to posts that I have been making on some other metal shaping related sites regarding my hosting of the third annual Redneck Roundup. We will be working on several Model A fenders, hood and I hope that the aluminum bodied Speedster will get some attention this year as well.

This event has been so popular, that the size of my shop has forced me to limit attendance, and even though this years Redneck Roundup is full, I want to update info for those that are going to be in attendance.

It's getting closer and the excitement for me is building. In addition to both of Per's (Metalman Sweden) classes with the Nebraskan 'Patman' about the Pullmax machine 'tips and tricks' and pattern and buck making, it has been confirmed that 'Pedalcar' Ben from the Netherlands, will be debuting his new fixed stroke 'MecHammer' at this event. He is having them made here in the US now. Bill Lonyard, author of several metal shapiong books, will be in attendance (he will bring some books to sell and autograph). Craig Peterson with Dagger tools has confirmed that he will be attending and will have an assortment of his tools for sale and has generously donated (AGAIN) some of the much sought after door prizes that he has been kind enough to provide. Craigs travel companion Mike 'Motage' is an engine builder for Roush Racing. Other door prizes have also been offered by Mike Yurko, the parts manager at Front Row Motorsports in Mooresville, N.C. The Front Row Motorsports team is switching both chassis and motor suppliers next year with a re-aligned driver combination and his attendance will be subject to a very HEAVY shop workload. (We all hope you can make it Mike). I have also invited another friend of mine, Ron Reedy, who is the gentleman that is the manager of the chassis and body fabrication department at Hendricks Motorsports. At the current time I am also expecting to see Joe and Peggy Andrews from Hoosier Profiles and have asked that he might give us all a rundown on what makes the Hoosier Profile wheeling machine upper wheels and lower anvils such a sought after product. Perhaps he will also share some of his other products and bring some for sale as well.

I am optimistic that both Kerry Pinkerton with his Imperial wheeling machine will be there, and it is also a possibility that Jimmy Matthews will have his Australian build 'Handbuilt' cast wheeling machine there as well. I will also have a table available for gas welding aluminum, two wooden stumps, two planishing hammers, a P5, a P7, brake and shear, and several work tables for some smaller projects. I am getting some parts together to make a hand forming 'roll-bender' in the event that Jim Hery will be bringing the Buggati gas tank panels that I made so we can bend them on it. I will have a number of smaller projects to work on for the Speedster project as well.

I will shortly be approaching those, who in the past, were kind enough to provide door prizes as well. We have been treated very kindly in the past by the generosity of many of the visitors of this site and metal shaping enthusiasts.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-19-2016 at 09:55 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #2
RockHillWill

Default Re: Model A items to be worked on at the 2016 Redneck Roundup

It's official, now! The official planning meal of ol' country style BBQ is underway. You guys that have signed up for Per's class, assisted by Patman are in for a HUGE treat. MANY tips and tricks are on the way. For days now, I have been receiving shipments of tooling and pieces and materials used for their upcoming class, and both these gentlemen have been planning for months to prepare for this event. I will try to post pics as often as possible. We will be going to the Front Row Motorsports race car shop on Sunday to meet with Mike Yorko, pick up his contribution to the tool exchange, and Mike has also offered additional door prizes for this years event.

There are going to be a number of Model A metal parts worked on at this years event, in addition to the Bugatti parts and some assorted 'projects' as well, including a new way to quickly make 'epoxy' dies for use in the Pullmax, and other fixed stroke machines that one of the attendees has made for use on a Model a door body lines. It's an extremely unique and cost effective approach to character line building.

Ryan, if you feel that this is too far off topic, please advise and I will discontinue at any time. My past experience in restoring Model A's has led me to this metal shaping segment of auto restoration, and I just wanted to share it with others that have helped me along the way.

Misc 001.jpg
Old 02-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Would a private email list not serve you better ? Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #4
RockHillWill

Day two of the Redneck Roundup preparations. The various photos show 'Patman' Pat Brubaker fabricating a sheet metal roll forming tool that was designed to aid in the forming of Jim Herys Bugatti gas tank build. Per is putting the final tuning of the shrinker and stretcher die sets that I acquired from him for the motorized kick shrinker. They are MUCH smoother now in their new appearance, and they move the metal through noticeably smoother as well. Per is also shown doing the initial forming of the tail section on the speedster. Per and Pat had a better idea for that section and I really like how it is turning out. Also, my good friend Paul Crosby came by and helped most of the day with the final body installation that was 'muddled' by a minor misalignment in the long exhaust pipe and having to make a part to final install the brake pedal assembly that was made necessary by moving the brake pedal to the right side of the bell housing and reversing the service brake cross shaft installation. Clearance with the emergency brake actuating arm was tight and took several moments of 'tweaking'. It took several trips to local eating establishments to get it all figured out.

Clint Button http://carolinasculpturestudio.com has agreed to show how to scale down and replicate a smaller version of an existing object (car) to make a smaller version. That will be presented on Friday.

RR3-1 001.jpg

RR3-1 002.jpg

RR3-1 005.jpg

RR3-1 006.jpg

RR3-1 009.jpg

RR3-1 012.jpg

RR3-1 015.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 02-13-2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:42 PM   #5
Wick

Great pictures.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #6
RockHillWill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks, Wick. They would be much improved if you were in some of them, LOL.

here is a link posted by 'MetalmanSweden' last night as he uses the English wheel to install an offset to allow that tail panel to be inserted in behind the side rear panels on the speedster.

http://youtu.be/sUuHTV4KHzg
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
RockHillWill

The guys and I took the day off to enjoy a visit to meet up north to meet with Mike and Sue Yurko at the front Row Motorsports complex just north of Statesville, N.C. What an accommodating couple of genuine folks, who took time out of their Valentines Day and 25th Wedding Anniversary to host our visit thru the race shop. THANKS, Sue, for giving us grownup guys time to be little boys for awhile.

The shop was empty of completed cars, as they were lining up and getting ready to qualify in Daytona as we were making our tour of the shop. Chris Buescher in the #34 car qualified 28th and landon Castill came in the 35th spot in the #38 car. David Gillinad was 38th in the #35 car as well. There were many new NASCAR mandated changes and it is Mikes job to keep abreast of the changes and acquire the pieces and parts for every car for every race in addition to his machinists requirements. We saw the elevated full chassis dyno machine, the cars that were being readied for the upcoming Atlanta race and the West coast string of events.

We took some photos of the floor pan, fender wells and trunk and rear suspension areas, and toured the brake preparation area and the huge stockpile of 'pre-fab' body panels and a large assortment of carbon-fibre components. Thanks, Mike.

Mike and Sue as well as the front Row Motorsports Race team both contributed heavily to the Redneck Roundup door prize assortment, They have been very sought after awards in the past years.

FRM-1 001.jpg

FRM-1 002.jpg

FRM-1 003.jpg

FRM-1 004.jpg

FRM-1 005.jpg

FRM-1 006.jpg

FRM-1 009.jpg
Old 02-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #8
RockHillWill

Only two days until the first of the classes. You guys in attendance are going to be very happy. here are some more pics of the progress for classes and the Redneck Roundup. First group are various pictures of the wireframe buck made by Per that took only about one hour to build, The headlight 'ring' was being made later in the day by both Per and Patman.
Andrew Slater (SWTRacing) came by today and worked hard all day helping us build the stand for the (hopefully) newly arriving Tommasini wheeling machine. This stand look a little tall at 32", but we will mount the wheel, let the new owner test drive it and go from there. The new 'Aussie' style upper wheel has arrived and will be fit to the larger diameter upper axle when we get started on that project.
Another pic(s) shown Patman and Per reviewing Patmans fabricated lower die holder for my home made power hammer. It is very SMOOOOTH in operation. Picture of the upcoming building of a Model A door skin will be coming soon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR3-2 002.jpg (128.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg RR3-2 003.jpg (125.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg RR3-2 004.jpg (134.7 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg RR3-2 006.jpg (136.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg RR3-2 007.jpg (135.6 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg RR3-2a 003.jpg (181.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg RR3-2a 014.jpg (190.9 KB, 54 views)
Old 02-16-2016, 09:48 PM   #9
RockHillWill

Not much was done for the Redneck Roundup, other than getting the shop cleaned and ready for the classes being presented by Per (MetalmanSweden) along with Pat (Patman) Brubaker. You will be amazed at what these gentlemen with be presenting. VERY cool stuff! We moved the Model A to make room for the seminars and tidied up the shop. The pictures of the slappers are Per's work. He made them out of the front forks of my wife's bicycle. I am hoping to wait to tell her until after the Roundup is over. He did a nice job, though! Look - they are 18 speed slappers. The wireframe buck if for the classes this week.

image5.jpg

image6.jpg

MAY2614 007.jpg

rr45 001.jpg
Old 02-17-2016, 09:17 PM   #10
RockHillWill

People arrived early today in anticipation of the 'fun' that was in store for all. It was very interesting to see the way that Per and Patman had prepared their approach to the class. They each would do a similar thing in a dis-similar manner, and it was interesting to see the light bulbs going off as folks began to understand that their are several approaches to metal shaping and that only one idea was the correct one. You could see that the different approaches gave a clear indication of the concept, as opposed to learning 'one' specific way of doing things. That opens the door to creative thinking and was quick to give some confidence to those of us with somewhat muddled thinking as we had been told that their might only be a narrow way to approach a situation. Nice work guys!

pc1-a 003.jpg

pc1-a 007.jpg

pc1-a 008.jpg

pc1-a 013.jpg

PC-1-B 002.jpg

PC-1-B 006.jpg

PC-1-B 008.jpg
Old 02-19-2016, 08:52 AM   #11
RockHillWill

More pictures from the second at the first class. MUCH information and the way they each approach the same problem from different angles has been very good in teaching us to learn concepts, not just process. Great stuff! I am fortunate to be in a position to absorb this metal shaping information. Much time was spent in anticipating result PRIOR to using a hammer or a machine.

PC2-a 001.jpg

PC2-a 003.jpg

PC2-a 005.jpg

PC2-a 008.jpg

PC2-a 012.jpg

PC2-b 001.jpg

PC2-b 004.jpg
Old 02-20-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
RockHillWill

Robert Robinson and Tommy Tyson signed on for another Day of instruction from Per and Patman. Tommy wanted to complete the model fender that was used in the regular class.

PC3-a 001.jpg

PC3-a 005.jpg

PC3-a 009.jpg

PC3-a 011.jpg

PC3-a 017.jpg

PC3-a 018.jpg

PC3-a 025.jpg
Old 02-21-2016, 09:48 AM   #13
RockHillWill

These photos are from the second day of Per's class. Much detail was provided in doing unheard of tricks on the pullmax and the wheeling machine. Simple ideas once they are 'digested' This guy is amazing. The last photo shows the dorr latch pivot for Jim Hery's 1935 Bugatti. Scott White 3D scanned the original on the right, and the new ones were 3D PRINTED, not cast or machined. Much faster and accurate.

I just got a phone call from Cass Nawrocki, and he is sending a case of his Newest book to be for sale for those in attendance at the Redneck Roundup next week.

PC4-b 002.jpg

PC4-b 004.jpg

PC4-b 006.jpg

PC4-b 008.jpg

PC4-b 010.jpg

PC4-b 011.jpg

PC4-b 014.jpg
Old 02-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #14
RockHillWill

Today was the last day of the training classes that were presented by Per and Pat. The Redneck Roundup will start next Wednesday, and several of the guys will be staying over to help get ready.

PC5-a 001.jpg

PC5-a 003.jpg

PC5-a 008.jpg

PC5-a 009.jpg

PC5-a 012.jpg

PC5-a 016.jpg

PC5-a 017.jpg
Old 02-23-2016, 08:06 AM   #15
RockHillWill

Classes by Per and Patman have been concluded and we are all getting ready for the upcoming 3rd annual Redneck Roundup. Not much went on today. Finished making a hood for a backup generator and began the building of a Radiator shell for Jim Hery's 35 Bugatti, cleaning up the shop and moving more things outside. In addition to Patman, Per and Jim, Jake Ladd is staying on from the shaping class to help get things ready.

PC6-a 003.jpg

PC6-a 0011.jpg
PC6-a 004.jpg

PC6-a 005.jpg

PC6-b 001.jpg

PC6-b 002.jpg
Old 02-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #16
RockHillWill

Early birds working on the speedster and Jim Hery's Bugatti grill shell. Per made a die for the Pullmax that nicely does the exterior fascia panels. Brass material showed up tonight. Patman made another custom die set for my home made power hammer. He made an excellent planishing and forming die out of a hockey puck. Makes difficult reverses in seconds!!!!

Ta 002.jpg

Wed-b 012.jpg

Wed-b 015.jpg

Ta 004.jpg

Wed-b 005.jpg

Wed-b 007.jpg

Wed-b 008.jpg
Old 02-25-2016, 10:03 PM   #17
RockHillWill

First day of official working. Biggest surprise was the debut of Ben's new Mechammer, an outstanding piece of equipment, capable of extremely slow gentle taps to powerful punishing blows with a very subtle touch to the low mounted foot pedal. At the risk of appearing to be a commercial this was a VERY impressive and VERY versatile machine. You can vary the weight of the 'hammer', and the two complementary anvil holders are made so that if your either changing the arm to use or the die set for forming, there was no need to adjust the arm height. Just set them once and forget them.

Jim Hery took an extended amount time metal finishing the speedster tail section. It is abundantly clear why he has restored (18) Pebble Beach winners.

Stanly Lobitz prepared the greatest fried chicken I have ever had. I don't know if it was a special recipe or not, but it was all eaten before dark.

Here is a link to show some of the speedster work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMLWopalmUM

Th-a 004.jpg

Th-a 015.jpg

Th-a 017.jpg

Th-a 021.jpg

Th-c 002.jpg

Th-a 018.jpg

Ta 006.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 02-25-2016 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 PM   #18
Logan

Will, I wish I could be there. Looks like a lot of fun. We've been real busy at the shop the last month or so. I've been so busy, this is the first I've seen of this thread. Looks like a lot of fun, I'm definetly jealous.

By the way, is peters tour scheduled for this year yet?
Old 02-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #19
RockHillWill

Logan, you would have loved to be here. This has turned out to a huge learning and laughing event. Very hearty laughter and talent in the same room.

Much more done today. Steve Hamilton gave an excellent class on general metal shaping and forming. Lots of Model A work. A Model A fender and assorted speedster work. Ben's MecHammer is still drawing fans and users. Some have already been ordered with various degrees of tooling, and it is a popular machine in the shop as we gain knowledge regarding its use. The wide array of tooling, speed and power has made it popular for plashing, shrinking, shaping and bead making. Ben showed us the developing that he is doing making louvers. The ones that I saw looked really nice, but Ben said he is working on making larger ones. AC Button displayed a very way to use inexpensive scaling tools to use to make a larger or smaller version of any object. AC is world class sculptor and it was way interesting to see the tooling that he shared with us.

Fri-a 009.jpg

Fri-a 010.jpg

Fri-a 014.jpg

Fri-a 023.jpg

Fri-a 037.jpg

Fri-a 007.jpg

Fri-a 038.jpg
Old 02-27-2016, 04:50 PM   #20
Logan

Will: when will Peter be back to teach a class at your shop this year? I want to be sure to be on the list of students attending the class.