Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #1
RockHillWill

Default 5th annual Redneck Roundup schedule

The wife and I have decided to host another of the Redneck Roundups here in Rock Hill, S.C. on April 5th, 6th and 7th. Lunch and the evening meals are included as is sheet metal materials, and I am also expecting to make arrangements to attend the NASCAR Hall of Fame on the following Sunday as we have done in the previous years. It has grown over the years to the point that we have had to limit the attendance between about 40-50 folks. We had 65 one year, and it was just too crowded.

It is just a group of metal shapers that mostly restore cars, and we have had quite a few guys that have worked on Model A's, including several members of this site. Some bring a small metal working project, others come to learn from some VERY talented metal men on how to use the hammer and stump, the Pullmax, power hammer and of course the different approaches to using the English wheel. Several guys are talented TIG welders and several are very adept at gas welding both steel and aluminum, and explaining the reason that you use that method for auto repair work as opposed to the 'normal' MIG methods.

We have had attendees from Australia, Sweden, Finland, Canada and the Netherlands and folks from 26 different states so far. Because many of my friends are still associated with the Model A's, I wanted to make sure that those of you with an interest are notified in time to add your names to the list if interested. The attendance list has already been started with preference given to past attendees, but a few openings remain. There is no charge, but it has developed at other similar event over the years, that the attendees generally voluntarily contribute what they feel is appropriate to cover food and material and expendables. It has averaged out to about $30 - $40 per day. The wife and I host this as a way of sharing among friends and we save and prepare for most of the year to do this. We have had a GREAT time doing it so far, and have just been amazed at the talent that shows up at these meets. One of the gentlemen has restored (18) cars that have WON their class at Pebble Beach, and is a known master of metal finishing. The gentleman from Australia is a master at the English wheel and my friend from Sweden is a world class Pullmax operator. I am not sure who all will attend this year, but all three are willing to share their skills with novice metal shapers regarding the use of simple tools.

We already have a list of about 40 previous attendees and several are on a 'waiting' list, but if you have a sincere interest, please contact me by PM or email at: [email protected] as soon as possible.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:35 AM   #2
RockHillWill

Default Re: 5th annual Redneck Roundup schedule

This event has continued to grow, and I have previously had to limit the attendance to 40 folks, but the demand has been stronger this year and I have decided to expand a little to 50 folks or so. There are 3-4 spaces left for those that may have an interest in learning the basics of metal shaping from some very accomplished craftsmen. Also scheduled is a seminar of metal shaping by a young 16 year old girl that has been making varying types of metal fish artwork for more than 7 years, after attending a metal shaping event in Oblong, Illinois. She is a sought after artist around the Grand Rapids area of Michigan.

I expect the aluminum Model A speedster to be done by then as well as the Humvee project complete with the .50 cal machine gun mounted on the roof turret. I will be making a metal 'gunner guard' for it if time permits. Also scheduled is the usual trip to the NASCAR Hall of Fame. Jim Hery will be bringing some wooden egg crate bucks to make fenders for the '35 Bugatti project, and I have some Model A fender and fender well wooden bucks available as well as the Kirksite Ford factory castings to form the edges of a fender prior to installing fender wells. I have asked Jim to consider bringing the louver press that we have been building to demonstrate the art of building louver dies and their installation. Lunch will be provided all three days and Jimmy Matthews ('30 pickup and a '31 Tudor) will be cooking dinner each evening on his 4 ft. x 7 ft. grill.

After this meet, more of my Model A restoration tools and tooling will be put up for sale, as I am needing more room in the shop for the Humvee and Bugatti projects.

For more info, PM me or email me at [email protected]

Last edited by RockHillWill; 01-14-2018 at 07:40 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #3
RockHillWill

Default Re: 5th annual Redneck Roundup schedule

Two days before the fifth Redneck Roundup is to begin and the first day of another of Patman's classes. Some teaching and some eating. I got a little bit done on the speedster and Jim and I shortened the Humvee 2-man cargo divider to be used as a 4-man divider in the new Humvee M1026A build. Jimmy Matthews brought the grill that we will be cooking lunches on. All stainless steel made from abandoned metal collecting bins. We are trying to get prepared for the large crowd expected to be here along with a 'special surprise' attendee, rumored to be arriving at Charlotte Douglas Airport tomorrow afternoon. The class featured forming panels for the Model A fender buck that is in the shop, and close viewing of the photos will reveal a Fordbarn member in attendance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RR18-Tue 002.jpg (159.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg RR18-Tue 003.jpg (161.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RR18-Tue 006.jpg (135.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RR18-Tue 009.jpg (214.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg RR18-Tue 007.jpg (161.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg RR18-Tue 008.jpg (160.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RR18-Tue 013.jpg (162.1 KB, 30 views)