Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #1
rottenron36

Default 6 volt adjustable voltage regulator?

Mobil MF-6 externally adjustable voltage regulator. Didn't know there was such a thing, for 49 to 53 ford v8. Did they work correctly? Would like to use on a 59ab. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:13 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: 6 volt adjustable voltage regulator?

The adjustment of the regular type OEM and aftermarket voltage regulators has to be done very carefully with proper current and voltage measuring & test equipment plus good bending tools. While a screw adjustment with external access sound good in theory, it may be problematic in practice. The adjustment of the voltage regulator pole is done in very minute adjustments and usually by bending a spring tension support but once it's right it usually stays that way. Screw adjustments are generally not very fine adjustments and the screw has to have a lot of thread tension to keep it in the same place for long periods. It might work just fine but then again it may not. The voltage regulator and the current limiter are both adjustable and those units have no external adjustment for current output.

There seem to be a lot of NOS ones out there and that makes a person wonder why that is.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 10:44 AM   #3
ford38v8

I bought one many years ago. It has always worked very well as a cute wall hanger.
Old 06-13-2021, 11:07 PM   #4
Russ/40

I had one on my 49 sedan that had a knob adjustment. It worked great. Should have never let that one go. It was a Sears made piece.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:15 AM   #5
Tinker

I say go for it. It'll work or it won't. Gimmicks are a dime a dozen. If it works well! or it doesn't. if your only reason to use it, is it is different, doesn't mean it will not work... Not saying it will.... but maybe it will.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 10:20 AM   #6
Jack E/NJ

This is like the sears adjustable I had on my 50 DeSoto. Worked. But knob position didn't seem to do much of anything. Jack E/NJ

Attached Images
File Type: jpg searsvr.jpg (222.2 KB, 141 views)
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 11:08 PM   #7
koates

Yes these outside adjustable regulators did work OK. But it is advisable to have a proper generator test set comprising of an analog voltmeter and ammeter so that very small adjustments can be performed whilst watching the changes on the gauges. Of course you need to know what the voltage and current settings should be. Cant just fiddle with it and hope for the best !! Also the regulator needs to match up with the make and type of generator being used. Neg or Pos ground could also be important. Lots to understand here. Regards, Kevin.
koates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 09:52 AM   #8
rottenron36

I believe I will try the tab bending method to raise my voltage a little. Thanks for all the input. Ron
rottenron36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 11:02 AM   #9
Anteek29

When I got my '55 it was set up with 8 volt battery, so I went back to 6 volt system - meaning I had to reset the regulator. Took my time and tweaked the appropriate tab to give 7.2 volt charge.
1955 Victoria
Anteek29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2021, 03:54 PM   #10
RKS.PA

I just adjusted my regulator using the procedure beginning on page R-12 1942-1948 Ford/Mercury shop manual and it was successful.....am thankful for small favors!!

The regulator was not allowing the generator to charge the battery (Optima 6 volt) enough that after shutting down after initial run, battery barely had enough charge to re-start the car. Using a combination of my meter and increasing the spring tension on the current control segment of the regulator, I was able to increase the charging under way. Meter check after adjust gave me a 7.2 volt reading with engine RPM's at 1500 or so.

No more hot starting problems after initial run and operating voltage is in the proper range.

(Had previously rebuilt the generator, so hunch was a problem with the regulator.)
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote