Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2020, 03:32 AM   #1
john charlton

Default AA Truck rear axle question .

I have an mid 1929 AA truck where the worm drive axle has been replaced by the later bevel axle . This seems to have been a fairly common retro fit . It is mentioned in the Service Bulletins . It has wire wheels so the wheel hub is not supported by the drum there being a gap of about 1/4" . It looks like this was done many years ago but only one wheel has weld repairs . I could put BUDD wheels on the back for more safety but the truck would look odd with the mismatch . Do most people drive on with no ill effects or is there a spacer that has been made up or could be bought back in the day ? .Just wondered if any Barner has done this ? .I could put BUDD wheels on the front and would they fit safely ? Thank you for any suggestions .

John in very high winds storm on the way Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:51 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: AA Truck rear axle question .

I can't answer your question John, but keep in mind AA's are extremely slow vehicles, even with the hi-speed R&P. Not that it makes any difference, but I like the look of the AA wire wheels. I would think that if the wheels bolt on tightly, they should be no problems with them.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:01 PM   #3
KenCoupe

I don't know if this works for AA wheels, but with hydraulic brake conversions spacers are made. Bert's has them - see the link and picture below.

https://modelastore.com/index.php?ro...&category_id=0

KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #4
David R.

Page 529 in service bulletins lists AA-1123-R adapter plate for use with scalloped hubs. Would that help/
David R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:54 AM   #5
john charlton

I do have a pair of the AA-1123-R adapter plates I was thinking of trying one but the curve on the plate is the same as the bevel hub so the geometry stays the same I think . I cant use the hydraulic adapter plate as the AA bolt pattern is bigger .

John in sunny morning high winds on the way Suffolk County England .
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
Reds34

John,

I've never taken a really close look at a wire wheel on a bevel axle or visa versa, but I can tell you that we have a doodlebug that has a bevel rear axle in it and had reverse dish wheels on it. This is our "big" doodlebug as we call it, and it has a Weaver auto crane on the back and we've gotten the front end up in air on more than one occasion. You do need to make sure that you use the correct lug nuts for the wheels; i.e.- don't use the "2 piece" style on wire or reverse dish wheels and don't use the acorn lug nuts on Budd wheels.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote