Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2021, 05:01 PM   #21
gz

Default Re: how long does a sale usually take?

How long does it take to sell a car? Could be minutes, hours, days, weeks or months. You just never know.

Your car looks good and priced competitively. It should sell. You may need to be patient, or you might get lucky right away.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #22
Keith True

I bought a coupe pretty much like that one just over a year ago,except the paint is bad on mine. I paid very close to that for it.I have sold quite a few A's for other people and have rarely had one sell fast.I would ask if they wanted to sell it fast,or if they wanted to get all the money out of it.I pretty much put the price on it,and that is how much it is.I let folks know that right up front.That way I don't have to listen to them for an hour telling me how much they have to do to it,or how much they have to spend on it.If they feel it will take more than they want to do to bring it up to their standards,then it is not the car for them.I've heard,too much money or too much work for me dozens of times.That's OK,it's just not the car for you.Seems to work good for me,I do not have one car still sitting around that I have tried to sell,every seat found a butt.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 05:36 PM   #23
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz View Post
How long does it take to sell a car? Could be minutes, hours, days, weeks or months. You just never know.

Your car looks good and priced competitively. It should sell. You may need to be patient, or you might get lucky right away.
This past weekend, I sold my friend's '36 roadster on Instagram in 2 hours. Car was in NJ, buyer was in CA. A phone call and some picts., car was sold.

As GZ mentioned, it all depends. I know it's not an A, but it was priced right.

Price is everything.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:26 PM   #24
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
This past weekend, I sold my friend's '36 roadster on Instagram in 2 hours. Car was in NJ, buyer was in CA. A phone call and some picts., car was sold.

As GZ mentioned, it all depends. I know it's not an A, but it was priced right.

Price is everything.
A '36 Roadster (I assume a FORD) is a very, very desirable car,,,, also
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:30 PM   #25
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
It's nice that they are up front about what the service is, and how much their percentage is. The consignment dealer here doesn't wanna tell. Although I have heard he wants 10%. Some of them want a monthly fee for it too. Oh, and I guess they always call and want you to drop the price cause some guy made an offer. I'd like to sell a car through a consignment dealer, but the 10% thing just turns me off.
I don't trust consignment sellers, there is too much room in there for fraud. And it has happened.

This just happened last month in Green Bay, Wisconsin
Old 09-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #26
Gene F

How do you mean that Jeff? I'm just asking because I'm trying to learn. One day I might need to sell somethin'. It would help if I know what to watch for.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 09:06 PM   #27
Ranchero50

I'd add the service history information. Your description really doesn't say much.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:58 PM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene F View Post
How do you mean that Jeff? I'm just asking because I'm trying to learn. One day I might need to sell somethin'. It would help if I know what to watch for.
Gene I'm just saying the opportunity for fraud runs deep in consignment circles.

I mentioned using this avenue once to a banker friend who was into collector cars for many years, when I was going to sell a car once, and he led me to a number of articles where people had been ripped off, often times not only never seeing their money but the cars were long gone too.

Sorry I don't have them on hand BUT if you GOOGLE 'Collector Car Consignment Fraud' you will find a number of cases. Just a few weeks ago they arrested some guy in Green Bay, Wisconsin for this.

I'm not saying they are all dishonest there are legitimate ones out there. Just make sure you do your homework first.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:29 PM   #29
Gene F

We only have 2 dealers in Columbus that handle consignements. One motorcycles, and the other collector cars. They both have been in business for 15 or more years, and own their real estate. Sounds like good advice to be weary though.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:35 AM   #30
Model A Ron

Drop it to 1000 and see what kind of attention you get. Your price is fair but everyone wants a deal. If you have time hold firm and it will go but it may take some time. Any car is worth as much as someone is willing to pay.
Model A Ron is offline   Reply With Quote