Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-06-2021, 12:56 PM   #1
Eccentric Old Guy

Default Considering converting sealed beam back to original......what does this entail?

My 28CCPU has been converted to sealed beam headlights, but I'd like to get back to a more original look. What do I need to know, and what parts do I need?

I don't intend to use headlights anyway as this is strictly a daytime rider.....well, unless something unforeseen comes up!

Thanks for your help.
Eccentric Old Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 01:09 PM   #2
Mister Moose

Default Re: Considering converting sealed beam back to original......what does this entail?

Off the top of my head, you'll need a lens, different ends on the wiring, bulb, reflector, and if it isn't still on the lamp bucket - the hinged ring and T-handle closure.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:14 PM   #3
Bob C

Default Re: Considering converting sealed beam back to original......what does this entail?

Could you show a better picture of your headlights so we can see exactly what you have now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (55.1 KB, 38 views)
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Be sure to get the reflectors from Bratton's or someone that handles their reflectors. They spent the money to make the correct tooling, many of the others won't focus due to their shape. They coat them with polished aluminum and seal them. Sounds flaky but that is the technology used in spacecraft and in the medical field. The light bulb socket may be a problem, I don't know what is currently out there. A lot of people rebuilt originals in the past for that reason. I hope someone posts if they have a found a good source.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #5
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Be sure to get the reflectors from Bratton's or someone that handles their reflectors. They spent the money to make the correct tooling, many of the others won't focus due to their shape. They coat them with polished aluminum and seal them. Sounds flaky but that is the technology used in spacecraft and in the medical field. The light bulb socket may be a problem, I don't know what is currently out there. A lot of people rebuilt originals in the past for that reason. I hope someone posts if they have a found a good source.

Charlie Stephens
Bratton's and all the others sell all the parts necessary to do this. Bratton's have the best catalog parts illustrations. I don't know about the reflector quality but all the other parts probably come from the same vender.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 04:09 PM   #6
Eccentric Old Guy

Thank you for the come back gentlemen.......OK, I'll start checking with Bratton's for the appropriate parts to re-convert back to the original look.

I believe I have the original front glass, but this is the best pic I can come up with at present:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5687 (2).JPG (90.5 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #7
Ruth

Snyder's catalog has a nice exploded drawing of all the components and part numbers of a head light on page A-164.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:56 PM   #8
Eccentric Old Guy

Thank you, Ruth....
Old 09-06-2021, 06:51 PM   #9
aermotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccentric Old Guy View Post
Thank you for the come back gentlemen.......OK, I'll start checking with Bratton's for the appropriate parts to re-convert back to the original look.

I believe I have the original front glass, but this is the best pic I can come up with at present:
Can't see the pic. too well, but anyway, it is not the original glass if it is a sealed beam.

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
McMimmcs

Great idea. I’ve never seen a sealed beam conversion that didn’t look ridiculous.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 08:44 PM   #11
katy

My '31 CCPU has sealed beam headlights w/the sealed beam behind the original lens so that they're not obvious unless one looks real close.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front turn sigs L.jpg (64.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-06-2021, 09:42 PM   #12
Eccentric Old Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
My '31 CCPU has sealed beam headlights w/the sealed beam behind the original lens so that they're not obvious unless one looks real close.
Yeah Katy......that's what I have. It's kinda like a blemish in your paint job.....that's the only thing you see every time you look!!!!!