Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
30 Closed Cab PU

Default Tefba Coolant Filter Review

Yesterday installed a Tefba Upper Hose Coolant Filter.

Getting cooler here, performed one more flush of thermocure. Flushed/back flushed, and got a small quarter sized mound of grit. Then added the filter. Added distilled water and went for about an hours drive. Checked the screen and surprise, screen was about a quarter full of grit. Drained the water, and converted to Antifreeze.

Background - Been dealing with running hot and overheating on A that was pulled 6 years ago from a 50 year nap. Cause - rust/scale and a 2 row/8 fin core radiator.

Have been flushing/back flushing occasionally for 2 years using different methods. white vinegar and then baking soda/water, Evaporust, and Thermocure. Only this summer discovered the 2 row 8 fin radiator issue. Saving up this coming fall/winter for a new radiator. Have already decided what to use but am not saying which brand. That is a separate discussion, and lots of info already available on the Barn.

My Opinion - To me worth the expense. Worth it not to worry about about a clogged radiator. Especially since next year my radiator is being replaced. I understand that if a cooling system is clean/pristine a filter is not needed if proper maintenance is performed. That is not the case for me.

I like this filter if it will work with a new radiator and my A does not overheat due to possible flow reduction. I just prefer being lazy and not have to take the support rods loose, tip the radiator, and take the hoses off to clean a filter.

I also like having the 2 screens, one is a finer mesh than the other.

Installation Notes

Purchased from V12, appears they have exclusive selling rights in the U.S. Expensive - $80. Since purchased discovered an EBay seller based out of Australia, a little less expensive, in transit shipping time is long. I have seen something similar by Redline, but looks like it comes with only one screen and looks like it is only a 1 1/2 inch size - lot less expensive.

Discovered I did not research well enough. I forgot the A has a 2 inch hose, largest V12 advertised was 1 3/4. So made a gasket from old tractor inner tube and JB welded it to the filter. I have seen old internet posts mentioning a 2 inch version. I have not been able to find the 2 inch version advertised for sale.

The filter came with a slightly soft rubber adapter/spacers for the inlet, and outlet of the filter. I suspect the filter body inlet/outlet is the same size for all hose sizes. Different hose sizes would have an appropriate size adapter/spacer. With the inlet/outlet sized smaller and with the filter screen, I expect there is a flow reduction. The adapters are not well shown or described in the advertising

The hose clamps provided did not work, too small diameter since they were sized for 1 3/4 hoses. Had to buy a couple. The clamps provided are not as wide as used on the A.

One of the features advertised is cleaning the screen without draining coolant. Only true if the radiator hose is horizontal where the hose goes into the radiator - the A hose immediately diagonally slopes. A minor inconvenience to drain a little coolant, collect the coolant at the end of the splash pan, and recycle the coolant back into the radiator. No need to additionally free up the radiator support rods and take the hose apart when using the other coolant filter methods/types.

I believe concern was expressed on the Barn about debris falling back into the head/block. There is a magnet that fits into the filter to prevent this. The filter was not supplied with a magnet. Perhaps the magnet is an option. So looks like I will be looking at ordering a magnet or figure out how to add one myself.

Gano Filter - I will be trying one next year - I wanted to try this one 1st. I read on line that the clear plastic ones can crack at install, and start cracking over time. This is a reason I am trying the Tefba 1st, do not want to develop seepage/leakage where I have my A stored for winter.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Tefba Coolant Filter Review

Did you consider the screen sold by catipiller?
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Is there ever any concerns about filters screwing up the flow rate??? One Guy tried a womans' stocking, it ended up in the radiator, top tank!
Bill W.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:48 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Did you consider the screen sold by catipiller?

Yes, I saw that one on this string.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=Caterpillar
Wanted to try the Tefba 1st, do not have to take the hose off.
Then try the Gano since I've seen it mentioned a lot on the Barn.
Old 09-24-2018, 05:44 AM   #5
Dave Slater

I have Franks radiator filter in all my cars and am very happy with them. It's amazing what it catches even years later. I reckon it saves my radiator from getting plugged up. You can get hose reducers from a place called Rapid Hydraulics here in OZ then you don't have to use those stupid spacers. Dave
Dave Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
harryc

I use a common stainless sink drain screen that you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes for less than $5.00----almost a perfect fit
harryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:28 PM   #7
37 Coupe

What material is the Tefba made from? Is it black plastic or aluminum powder coated?
Old 09-24-2018, 07:37 PM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Black Plastic, dull black not shiny. filters are metal with a special pattern screen, looks like they are punched out , then bent into shape.

Oh, and I contacted V12 today, a 2 inch adapter may be available from their supplier in Australia, but V12 would have to special order them. V12 did have the magnet, but I do not think they list it on their site, I've ordered one for myself.

If interested you could check out EBay and email the Australian place to see if they will ship the 2 inch and magnet.

So far this is the only one I've seen that the hoses do not come off to clean the screen/filter.
Old 08-20-2019, 09:16 AM   #9
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Yesterday installed a Tefba Upper Hose Coolant Filter.

Getting cooler here, performed one more flush of thermocure. Flushed/back flushed, and got a small quarter sized mound of grit. Then added the filter. Added distilled water and went for about an hours drive. Checked the screen and surprise, screen was about a quarter full of grit. Drained the water, and converted to Antifreeze.

Background - Been dealing with running hot and overheating on A that was pulled 6 years ago from a 50 year nap. Cause - rust/scale and a 2 row/8 fin core radiator.

Have been flushing/back flushing occasionally for 2 years using different methods. white vinegar and then baking soda/water, Evaporust, and Thermocure. Only this summer discovered the 2 row 8 fin radiator issue. Saving up this coming fall/winter for a new radiator. Have already decided what to use but am not saying which brand. That is a separate discussion, and lots of info already available on the Barn.

My Opinion - To me worth the expense. Worth it not to worry about about a clogged radiator. Especially since next year my radiator is being replaced. I understand that if a cooling system is clean/pristine a filter is not needed if proper maintenance is performed. That is not the case for me.

I like this filter if it will work with a new radiator and my A does not overheat due to possible flow reduction. I just prefer being lazy and not have to take the support rods loose, tip the radiator, and take the hoses off to clean a filter.

I also like having the 2 screens, one is a finer mesh than the other.

Installation Notes

Purchased from V12, appears they have exclusive selling rights in the U.S. Expensive - $80. Since purchased discovered an EBay seller based out of Australia, a little less expensive, in transit shipping time is long. I have seen something similar by Redline, but looks like it comes with only one screen and looks like it is only a 1 1/2 inch size - lot less expensive.

Discovered I did not research well enough. I forgot the A has a 2 inch hose, largest V12 advertised was 1 3/4. So made a gasket from old tractor inner tube and JB welded it to the filter. I have seen old internet posts mentioning a 2 inch version. I have not been able to find the 2 inch version advertised for sale.

The filter came with a slightly soft rubber adapter/spacers for the inlet, and outlet of the filter. I suspect the filter body inlet/outlet is the same size for all hose sizes. Different hose sizes would have an appropriate size adapter/spacer. With the inlet/outlet sized smaller and with the filter screen, I expect there is a flow reduction. The adapters are not well shown or described in the advertising

The hose clamps provided did not work, too small diameter since they were sized for 1 3/4 hoses. Had to buy a couple. The clamps provided are not as wide as used on the A.

One of the features advertised is cleaning the screen without draining coolant. Only true if the radiator hose is horizontal where the hose goes into the radiator - the A hose immediately diagonally slopes. A minor inconvenience to drain a little coolant, collect the coolant at the end of the splash pan, and recycle the coolant back into the radiator. No need to additionally free up the radiator support rods and take the hose apart when using the other coolant filter methods/types.

I believe concern was expressed on the Barn about debris falling back into the head/block. There is a magnet that fits into the filter to prevent this. The filter was not supplied with a magnet. Perhaps the magnet is an option. So looks like I will be looking at ordering a magnet or figure out how to add one myself.

Gano Filter - I will be trying one next year - I wanted to try this one 1st. I read on line that the clear plastic ones can crack at install, and start cracking over time. This is a reason I am trying the Tefba 1st, do not want to develop seepage/leakage where I have my A stored for winter.

Update 8/20/2019-

Motor was rebuilt and radiator replaced with a Bergs last winter, and running 50/50 green antifreeze and a 160 degree thermostat. No more overheating issues even with the Tefba filter installed even with over 90 degree days this summer. Running a thermostat because this spring coolant temp would only come up to 120 -130 degrees. I called V12 multiple times about the magnet, was promised it, and never received it. Have since converted to the Gano. I just feel it is handier to check it visually every time I am under the hood.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
Jeff/Illinois

The Gano Filter sounds like a good one to use if you have junk in your coolant.

I guess I'm lucky on the Roadster because the coolant (50/50 mix using Peak antifreeze and distilled water) is as clean as it can be with no rusty look or gunk when I drain it out. Been running this combo since 1978.

Also never had an overheating problem so just letting sleeping dogs lie
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote