Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-25-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Dylan Pelton

Default Oil Leak...I know i know, been asked 1000x!

Ok, so I have an oil leak at the rear of my engine (trust me i've done my research, read other threads but mine is a bit different.) After driving for say 15 minuets, the oil leak is so severe that there's literally a trail of oil behind me, and when I stop at a stop sign, a puddle over an ounce on the ground. It looks to me to be coming out of the hole with the cotter pin. There are many variables i know may be causing it, but I want some expert advice.

Variable 1- In the past few months i have done a full gasket kit (engine in the car) including front and rear mains. And yes i soaked them like your supposed to. Not leaking out of the front, everything else is dry.

Variable 2- The motor is old and tired, i know that. But I put a downdraft carb with a header set up, and have been running it kind of hard. Do you think blow by could be getting worse causing more pressure in the crankcase?

Variable 3- Some say its the front of the trans leaking and i have noticed recently that say at a stop sign I have to shut the car off to get it back in gear. Obvious answer would be adjust the clutch, but could that be a sign of low fluid?

I know these things leak but not as much as mine lol. I know this is kind of a loaded question but any help is appreciated. Thanks
Dylan Pelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
Bob C

Default Re: Oil Leak...I know i know, been asked 1000x!

A few more. To much bearing clearance, to much crank end play, rear main drain tube fell off or plugged, oil level to high.

Bob
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 01:39 PM   #3
denniskliesen

Make sure there is no scouring pad in the oil fill pipe or breather cap.
denniskliesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:03 PM   #4
Corley

Move to England, all old cars there are expected to keep the roads well oiled.

But, in there are warrants for your arrest in England, that plan may not be viable, in which case you need to pull the pan to check things out around the rear main area, as noted above.
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
J Franklin

You have an old worn out engine. When you did the gaskets was the time to inspect and adjust the bearings. An older engine would have increased blow-by that usually shows up out of the oil filler tube. That is why it needs to not have restriction.
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
Kurt in NJ

How full do you keep it, what if you don't fill it till it gets to "L"-- does the leak rate change
There isn't enough oil in the transmission to make much of a trail
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #7
JD 1931

Mine leaks when oil on dip stick shows full, I keep it half way between full mark and low mark, still leaks a little, but much less than full...
JD 1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 07:49 PM   #8
KenCoupe

Mine leaked like that when I lost the babbit on two of the main bearings. I agree with above to check what the condition of the bearings is. Have you drained the oil recently? Is there babbit in the oil? I hope it is nothing that severe. Good luck with what you find.
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:18 PM   #9
Chuck Sea/Tac

How much crank movement foreword and backward is there. You can have someone step on the clutch, while you watch the front pulley.
If you pull the flywheel inspection plate, 3bolts, you can run the engine while gazing into the recess, and see if it’s coming from the bearing or from above where the rear cam hole is.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 11:27 PM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

You are going to have to create a check list of all the things you are read about the cause and start looking and checking them off. There may not be just one thing causing the problem.

Create the list with the least invasive suggestions first like oil level. Some have no problem when the oil is just above the L but leaks like craze when at F. Then work from there to engine tear down.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:35 AM   #11
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

I think running with a much lower oil fill is worth trying.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:14 AM   #12
James Rogers

I believe you have one or both of 2 problems. The rear main is out of clearance and has too much thrust or, the babbitt on the rear main is broken and pieces are missing. The only cure for the broken babbitt is have the mains done as is the cure for the thrust problem. I put the thrust in with the clearance since one goes hand in hand with the other and generally one begets the other.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 09:29 AM   #13
Ed in Maine

Bob C above described the problem that I had. The previous owner crimped the rear main bearing oil return tube and dropped a ball bearing in it. This of course backed up the oil leaving the rear main. My car leaked the worst when it was cold and the oil was thick. I think it is time to make that check list per all of the above comments and maybe drop the pan for a close inspection. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 11:14 AM   #14
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
Bob C above described the problem that I had. The previous owner crimped the rear main bearing oil return tube and dropped a ball bearing in it. This of course backed up the oil leaving the rear main. My car leaked the worst when it was cold and the oil was thick. I think it is time to make that check list per all of the above comments and maybe drop the pan for a close inspection. Ed

Ford had a return tube with a check ball in it. Could be used in grain trucks
that they raised the front of the truck to dump the load. It kept the oil from
running out the rear main. See page 306 of the Service Bulletins.

Bob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oilreturn.jpg (87.6 KB, 21 views)
Bob C is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 07:34 PM   #15
Dylan Pelton

Thanks Guys, I will take all of you ideas into consideration. I will make a list and just go through it. I haven't seen anything in the oil or heard any kind of knocking or ticking that would suggest Babbitt completely missing, so does that eliminate that issue? I do know that crank has some lateral play, suggesting that the babbitt is there just badly worn? Like i said I'll dig a little bit to see what i come up with, but i know what the inevitable is. Shes just old and tired and needs to be rebuild and re-babbited. Just sucks id rather be out driving it having fun, rather that wrenching, but hey its all part of it.
Dylan Pelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #16
J Franklin

The babbit doesn't have to be missing to cause a big leak just a few thousandths too worn. drop the pan and tighten all the caps to about .002 (Rods & mains) then go for a drive
J Franklin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:46 AM   #17
imacrazy

Dylan, I had the same problem, I just finished pulling the engine and found that who ever put my engine together forgot to put the flywheel gasket that goes between the flywheel housing and the back of the block that seals the camshaft. It sure is a bummer to have to pull the engine just to put a 95 cent gasket in. It did take car of the oil leak.

Good luck.

Bill
imacrazy is offline   Reply With Quote