Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2023, 07:16 PM   #1941
flatford8

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Some ridin’ around music for Pearl.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EFuxUgqO4
.........Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:57 PM   #1942
sugarmaker

Mark,
Thanks I have always liked the Commander Cody song!
Well some static shots as I took Pearl to town yesterday when the roads were relatively dry and clean. And just prior to the storm today with some snow and high winds:

We still had some snow in the drive:

New engine pulled the hill in high gear!:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:02 PM   #1943
sugarmaker

Folks,
Off topic: Cheryl and I tapped the sugarbush after lunch. We drilled and set 625 ish taps at 30 locations around the two county area. Sap was just starting to run as temps were in mid 40's. A good chance we will make our first syrup of the 2023 season this week. Many more moves to make but this is about the most important part. You must tap the trees to get the sap, to make the syrup. The details kind of take care of themselves after that.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-05-2023, 11:11 PM   #1944
GB SISSON

Chris, This sugaring is a really fun thing to be a part of. Ravin has a lot of interest as well. She remembers you from last year and BTW her mom's name was Pearl. Of course your Pearl in the photos kees this on topic!
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:48 AM   #1945
sugarmaker

GB, folks,
We have about 300 gallons of sap since yesterday. Now to get on to the next steps.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-06-2023, 10:13 AM   #1946
sidevalve8ba

Chris,
How many gallons of sap does it take approximately to make a gallon of syrup?
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:32 AM   #1947
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidevalve8ba View Post
Chris,
How many gallons of sap does it take approximately to make a gallon of syrup?

A lot
Old 02-06-2023, 07:51 PM   #1948
sugarmaker

Ford Folks,
On the syrup thing. The question was how many gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup.
The rule of thumb might be around 50 gallons of sap to make a gallon of syrup. It is really all about the sugar content you start with. From a good hard maple on our route, the sugar content might be a normal 2% and it would take 43 gallons of sap. At 1% sugar content it would be 86 gallons of sap to make a finished gallon. We only make around 150 gallons of finished syrup per season. Our sugar content usually is around the 2% mark. Yes 98 % water and 2 % sugar!
Thanks for putting up with the off topic maple syrup stuff.

I have been doing a little with John on his 42 Ford and also working a little on my Allis CA pulling tractor.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-12-2023, 08:00 PM   #1949
Steve S.

Hello Chris and all, this is my first post here on the Ford Barn. I registered after I stumbled on this thread. It is fantastic. I have just finished reading all 98 pages as though it was a new book I just couldn’t put down. Not only is your truck remarkable, but the introduction to your other hobbies, your garage, and your family has been a great read. It didn’t take long for me to realize that you were the fellow with the International TD-6 crawler whose posts I used to enjoy on the Red Power forum. I have a TD-9.
I also have a 1932 BB dump truck and two BB chassis for parts. This thread will certainly be a great reference for me and anyone else working on a similar truck. The many experts contributing to this thread make it all the more valuable.
While reading through this thread there have been many times I would have offered comments and answers, but coming to the party late kept me quiet. I do have some information that might be useful to BB experts, or maybe not. Around November 20 (#1673) last year there was discussion about the slotted end on your clutch linkage rod. You replaced that rod with one having no slot. I went out and looked at my 3 BB’s and one of them had the slotted end on the link just like yours did. That chassis also had the single grease fitting on the shaft end like yours. I believe it was original. The other two chassis did not have the slotted end, and they both had two grease fittings, one on each pedal. If you look at the drawing on page 32 of the July, 1932 service bulletin it sure looks like that adjusting rod has a slot, too. We still don’t know why the slot was needed, but I do think that the slotted end on the clutch linkage came from the factory that way. Maybe David G. can figure it out.
Anyway thanks for keeping that truck more or less original, and sharing all the fun along the way. Hope the syrup production is going well. Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pearls clutch linkage.jpg (215.9 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 32 BB clutch linkage.jpg (101.1 KB, 72 views)
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 03:10 PM   #1950
sugarmaker

Steve, folks,
You found me. Yea I can put a lot of folks to sleep at night with my rambling! Wow nice that you have those trucks and chassis too! Your pictures help us confirm that the slotted shaft may in fact have been factory! Thanks for that detail not getting lost in the weeds of life! These forums are where the knowledge is for me on old iron!

Off topic:
Maple related. We have made almost 80 gallons of very nice syrup! We have boiled almost every day for a week.
Regards,
Chris
Pictures coming when I get time to set down.
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-14-2023, 05:00 PM   #1951
DavidG

Steve and Chris,

I am having a hard time accepting a slotted rod (and more importantly, the resulting free travel of the clutch pedal). It simply makes no sense. The chassis parts catalog indicates BB-7521-A as the appropriate rod between the pedal and the clutch release lever with four-cylinder engines. It also provides the overall length at 3 9/16". That's a lot shorter than the rod in your photos and it's not long enough to contain any sort of slot. (Unfortunately, the subject rod does not appear in an illustration in the catalog.)

Slotted rods are used for the brake pedal and hand brake so that they both can operate independently from one another, but that's not a requirement for the clutch pedal.

With the retracting spring in place, a pedal attached to a slotted rod has to travel the length of the slot before beginning to interact with the clutch release lever, greatly increasing the amount of free play in the brake system.

In your two photos, the two rods in question appear to be unlike one another in that one is threaded for adjustment purposes and the other rod is fixed without threads. They also appear to be of a different diameter.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:38 AM   #1952
sugarmaker

David, Steve, folks,
Mine seemed to work ok with no excessive travel. I can't remember how the spring is attached?
Trying to boil in 700 gals of 2% sap , and getting tired,I believe the rod adjusting nut was such that the slot was not really used. May not make sense, but it did not have a problem shifting??
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-15-2023 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 12:47 PM   #1953
Steve S.

David and Chris, Could it be possible that the slot was thought to be needed to allow for some give between the rigid frame mounted pedals and the rubber mounted engine. Perhaps it was later learned that the slot was not needed. The linkage on my parts truck is threaded for adjustment. David have you had a chance to look at that drawing in the service bulletin? It sure looks like a slotted link to me. Steve
Old 02-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #1954
Bob C

Is that Fig.46 in the July 1932 Service Bulletins, sure does look like the rod is slotted.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:12 PM   #1955
Steve S.

Yes Bob, that's the one.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:02 PM   #1956
DavidG

And that in Figure 46 is a heck of a lot longer than 3 9/16". Which is correct, the illustration or the part catalog. I rest my case on logic.

With a slotted end and a properly installed pedal return spring, the clevis pin will be in the rear of the slot with the pedal at rest. When the pedal is depressed, before the rod moves forward whatsoever, the clevis pin has to travel to the front of the slot. That pedal movement is in addition to the free play between the clutch throwout bearing and the fingers of the clutch pressure plate. The sum of those two movements of the pedal before engaging the clutch is all free play and way more than the 1" measured at the pedal pad recommended on the page 33 of the July, 1932 Service Bulletin directly opposite Figure 46 and page 32.

Further, Figure 46 is not labelled as being an illustration of the truck pedals as opposed to the passenger car/commercial vehicle pedals nor are they are not identified as truck pedals in the text on page 33. Absent the pedal bracket, there's nothing in the illustration to differentiate the truck pedals from the other '32 pedals. Of the dozens of '32 passenger cars and commercial vehicles that I have owned, nary a one had a slotted rod for the clutch pedal to clutch release arm.

Last edited by DavidG; 02-16-2023 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:40 PM   #1957
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatford8 View Post
Some ridinĀ’ around music for Pearl.....https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EFuxUgqO4
.........Mark
I finally hit this link and Pearl Pearl, Pearl by Flat and Scruggs just about fits the ticket too! (Earl Scrugs)! Thanks for including this! Makes me want to take PEarl for a ride In the sun too!

Big day on the 32 I crawled under and tightened the muffler and tailpipe which were about to fall off!

Off topic:
Not much happening here except maple syrup processing and resting a little in between! Pictures coming too. lots of pictures! I cant remember what I put up for content on maple last year? Hope it is of some interest to the Folks here on the Ford barn.
Some stats: we have gathered about 4000 gallons of sap and made almost 110 gallon of maple syrup. Weather warmed to 70 degrees and will have to freeze again to get the sap flowing. So I had a few minutes to check in and get the new items on the FORD barn.
In the sugarhouse:

Pumping sap to the truck 10 feet away. I dont handle it much by hand anymore, getting lazy!

Our road side "sugarbush":

Cheryl Helping gather sap:

Back at the sugarhouse with a boil in progress, about 2 gallon of sap goes out the stacks every minute, in the form of steam:

Came close to ending our sugarmaking a few nights ago. Stack temp got too high due to over firing the evaporator and getting the stack through the roof too hot. Burning hot dry wood. We got the fire out and kept making syrup! Will need to improve that!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 02-16-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:16 PM   #1958
Seth Swoboda

WOW, you are a serious maple syrup maker. The hot flu was a sticky stiuation for sure. This is beyond hobby status. Where can a guy purchase some of your syrup?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 03:17 PM   #1959
sugarmaker

Folks,
More off topic random maple syrup process pictures:

30 stations like this to gather. Not always full of sap!

Our educational display in two windows of the sugarhouse. Samples from 2002.

Our Golden Delicate syrup being checked for light transmisibility:

Processing syrup off the evaporator to bring it to a crystal clear product!

Grandson Mike and Cheryl, he fired the rig for about 4 hours that day!

Grandson Nic and great grandson Cooper stop to visit:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 02-16-2023, 04:15 PM   #1960
DavidG

Chris,

Fascinating and educational; thanks for sharing.