Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-21-2022, 04:25 AM   #1681
Mart

Default Re: 1932 The Deuce, Dually, Dump Truck

Link to floorboard pics. I was able to make some reasonable facsimiles from these drawings.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...s-pdf.4093963/

Clicking the link should download a pdf to your device.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #1682
sugarmaker

Mart,
Thank you for the drawings. Great details. These are slightly different than the ones in my big truck but have a lot of the same features too. I may use these for reference also.
Also brings back the reality that I did these types of drawings on the board starting in 1969! Always enjoyed sketching items then detailing them to allow them to be made.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
sugarmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 07:54 AM   #1683
sugarmaker

David, Folks,
Thank you in advance. The floor board has two steel plates with the foam sanwiched as you mentioned. I have a piece of foam from Renners' Corners that I may be able to make work. It is not the exact shape for a big truck. I havent tried it yet but my pedals are even with each other, the foam holes are not. My guess it is perfect for a pick up or car?
So there is the lower plate which the two rubber buttons (pedal stops) attach into. Foam layer. Then a inside plate that several of the floor blots go through. I have both of the plates. They have a little bit of wear due to the pedal arms scraping on them. But If the arms are in the correct spot someday the plates will be reattached and should work just fine. I will try to get a picture of the plates.

David,
I did not look in your book but are there drawings of the big truck floor boards too?
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-21-2022, 11:30 AM   #1684
DavidG

Mart and Chris,

The #1 board (B-35130-B) board is the same on all LHD '32 Fords at a given point in time during the model year. The A-suffix version varies to the extent of the shape of the access hole for the clutch throwout bearing grease cup and other details. The #2 board (B-35131-A) is for '32 LHD passenger cars. That for the commercial vehicles and big trucks is quite different. I'll take a photo of one later today, as promised.
DavidG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2022, 02:10 PM   #1685
sugarmaker

Folks,
Traveled with friend Jim from "Bugs and Tugs" to local collector to view a massive collection of old stuff. I bought two water pump cores for 1932 B engine. Also spied at least two B blocks. Like I really need more B stuff. All items are in used as is condition. Rows of model A engines and parts.

David,
Thanks for the support!

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-21-2022, 04:14 PM   #1686
DavidG

All of the commercial/big truck floor board plates are shown except that for the big trucks' #2 floor board plate on top of the transmission whose hole configuration is different.
Old 11-21-2022, 09:18 PM   #1687
sugarmaker

David Folks,
These are the plates around the pedals:

Stacked:

The water pumps I got today. On one the vanes are all but gone:

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-21-2022, 11:09 PM   #1688
DavidG

Your pedal plates are the truck's originals. In the smaller lower plate, the two fairly large round holes are for the rubber pedal bumpers that cushion the pedals when at rest. It is from the outer surface of the clutch pedal bumper that the free play in the pedal prior to engaging the throwout bearing is measured.

I erred (once again) as I have no extra early pedal shafts (those with the grease fitting on the end used with pedals without their own grease fittings). I've some of the '35-'36 variety, which are similar, but not the same. You can either make a new one, which as I now recall we did when we needed one some nearly 50 years ago, or add grease fittings to the two pedals and use the later pivot shaft without provision for a grease fitting. Sorry about that.

A pair of accurate reproduction B-76130 floor boards are shown below. They are used in the closed cab when the cab is mounted a 106" wheelbase commercial chassis. They are a mid-to-late version as the clutch throwout bearing grease cup access hole is oval shaped to allow the board to be used with either the four cylinder engine or the V8. They differ from BB-76130, which are used when the cab is mounted on a big truck chassis like yours in the size of the opening for the larger shift lever housing and hand brake lever. I'll send you email attachments of the photos if you wish to enlarge them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010484 (2).jpg (22.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg P1010485 (2).jpg (27.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg P1010487 (2).jpg (19.1 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg P1010488 (2).jpg (18.4 KB, 22 views)
Old 11-22-2022, 08:53 AM   #1689
sugarmaker

David,
Thank you for looking for the pivot pin. I have a machine shop that can make a new pin with the grease zerk on the end. The big trucks have their own mystery for sure. The pictures of the floor boards help me understand the shapes and colors too. Of course as mentioned my floor boards in the AAB version along with se veral other things lead me to believe that Ford changed many items as production rolled along. In my work enginerring changes were the norm. VERY rarely was a product launched with no revisions to its design.
Early variations of changes in designs are not easy to track, espically when the count is low and examples are scarce. Still learning a lot on this big Ford truck.
I think I have the data to move forward on the pedal improvements and the floor board construction.
As a note, which may have been added by someone, I have 4 of the metal angled floor braces (B-35156) which were attached with incorrect screws to the #1 (smaller) floor board. Since the fastners dont seem to be correct, these extra braces may have been added when a new floor board was carved out???? Again more questions than answers.
I know there are many folks following this thread. My guess is there are only a hand full of folks that can unravel these details of the 90 year old big Ford trucks.
Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-23-2022 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 09:53 PM   #1690
Reds34

Chris,
Let me know if you want a pedal assembly off of a '32 chassis we had. I don't know if it has the single grease fitting or a fitting on each pedal. I also have a handful of pedals off '34 trucks too.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 11:15 PM   #1691
DavidG

Chris,

The floorboards could have been even more interesting if your truck had been one of the very first ones produced rather than simply "early". According to the engineering drawings in the Ford archives, the first versions of the '32 floorboards weren't plywood, but solid hardwood boards glued together and reinforced with 3/16" steel strips placed across the grains of the undersides of the boards and attached with wood screws. Imagine how heavy those must have been.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:38 PM   #1692
cas3

The slotted rod looks like its original purpose was for the emergency brake on a car with mechanical brakes.
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:19 AM   #1693
sugarmaker

Red, David, cas3, Folks,
Red thank you for the offer. At this time should be good on these original pedals. Just need to get the new bushings into them with out destroying them!

David,
Very interesting on the very early floor boards! I believe I would have fit right in running between the Ford Engineering dept down to the line where the trucks were being built!
Do you have the Ford engineering drawings for my version of the floor boards?

cas3,
Sounds like some one needed this worn part replaced and thats what they found. I will be replacing the sloted item with a round end rod for the clutch adjustment.

I took the old worn bushings out of the pedals by carefully cutting through the bushing and then tapping out the two halves. These were split bushings.

I called in a favor from Friend Matt Hickin of Girard PA. He has a shop with lathe and nice Bridgeport. He made a new replacement pin for me last night on short notice. We took our best guess (we mic-ed the old one) at the final spec size of the rod and finished it at .873 inch dia. tHe wear in the shaft was about .020. He completed all the grease holes , including a new zerk fitting.

Regards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets

Last edited by sugarmaker; 11-23-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 08:49 AM   #1694
RKS.PA

Wow, Chris, What a beautiful piece of machine shop work!! Helps to have friends like that!!

Regards, and Happy Thanksgiving!!

Dick.
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 08:58 AM   #1695
sugarmaker

Dick, Folks,
Yes this young man is very skilled at 25 years of age. We may have to take off a couple thousandths to slide in the new bushings?? Sometimes these things tend to shrink when fit into the sockets. I will clean the pedal casting holes very well. Not sure of the installation method of the bushings yet. But I think it will have to be done carefully as the wall thickness is thin.

Hope you and all the Ford barn folks have a Happy Thanksgiving also!
Rergards,
Chris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-23-2022, 09:02 AM   #1696
Mart

The bushes will be tight after fitting and you will need to ream them to .875". (7/8").

You might be able to hone them but a reamer is easier if you have one.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 09:25 AM   #1697
sugarmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
The bushes will be tight after fitting and you will need to ream them to .875". (7/8").

You might be able to hone them but a reamer is easier if you have one.
Mart, Folks,
I was thinking the same thing too. We will see. Maybe with pin a little undersize, it might work? Or not? We will win over it and have tight pedal assembly at some time in the future!
Regards,
CHris
Lots of Allis tractors
Some Cub Cadets
Old 11-23-2022, 10:25 AM   #1698
deuce5wndw

Chris those thin bushings are hard to install without distortion unless you use a driver. Have you machinist friend turn you a driver. Happy thanksgiving, Dale.
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:49 AM   #1699
DavidG

You are fortune to have access to that kind of machine work; his handiwork looks great. I agree that a custom-made driver with a shoulder and with the smaller diameter section at least the length of the bushing would be just the ticket for installing the new bushings and as Mart notes, a reaming before final assembly likely will be in order.

Is your spring washer for between the pedals good enough to reuse? Its installation can be a bit frustrating.

As for the engineering drawing of your floorboard, I've missed your photo of what you have.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Last edited by DavidG; 11-23-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #1700
Seth Swoboda

Definitely have those bushings reamed. It all looks good. Great job.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote