Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2015, 02:51 PM   #81
Skibb

Default Re: How do you keep peoples hands off your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caboose View Post
Took our newly purchased 31 roadster to a car show in Mt Vernon, TX. One guy started rubbing a front fender and called his wife over so she too could see how smooth it was. One child could not see in the car; his mom put him on the running board so he could hang onto the door and pull himself up for a look inside. Despite requests to bring one of our cars to car shows in Mt Vernon, I doubt seriously that we ever will again.

And, we had a antique cash register show there. Despite having signs, DO NOT TOUCH, all over the place,we discovered that one of the docents was giving demonstrations. We removed the more fragile machines before the exhibit ended.

As for a solution; I don't think there is one. People don't seem to respect private property.

I totally agree...

I love showing kids my car ... But when we park and move away from the car things happen. Last year at the Edison Ford Winter Estate Show a man walked up to my Buddy's beautiful Pheaton, bent forward for a look see inside with 5 lb camera hung around his neck. Yes, he rapped a door but good with that camera. I'd rather stay with my car and answer the questions like "Does it run?" "How did it get here?" It's the greatest hobby in the world for me, so I can't complain.
Skibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #82
Barry B./ Ma.

All i know is that candy all over the steering wheel wasn't pleasant in the parade after the show. Now i know what the ice cream man went through. That's ok I'm an old guy like Bill W. and December birthday is coming fast.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 02:53 PM   #83
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Skibb & '31,
I'm NOT a good WRITER, I jist write stuff as I SEE/INTERPRET it. The Dogs' LINGO, bad spelin', & poor GRAMMER rubs off on me. Sometimes he narrates stuff for me to TIPE--Sometimes on the phone, I'm thought to be YOUNG & full of PISS & VINEGAR, NOT a 79 1/2 year old!!
Hope y'all don't tire of my B.S, it's great therapy for me & cheeper than a SHRINK & I hope I have contributed some SERIOUS mechanical help/advice that I've lurned from EXPERIENCE & MANY GREAT "teachers", including my Dad, Chief, (RIP), who hooked me up to an ERA that I missed.
I only suggest help & advice that has worked for me, personally & the events that I portray, are TRUE! And, my Dog duz TALK! I know how to interpret his EVERY expression
Bill W.
My small problem I have Bill reading your posts is, all of my college edjamakashun to rid myself of my old ways, speakin improperly and fornification is all starting to come back now.
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 05:15 PM   #84
Vin-tin

Whether it's a show car or a driver, people don't have the right to just do as they please and touch or sit in the car. People just don't have common sense these days, or just don't care.
If I ever show a car, i'm making a sign that reads:
" Unless you are totally naked, please don't touch my car".
Vin-tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:02 PM   #85
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
Whether it's a show car or a driver, people don't have the right to just do as they please and touch or sit in the car. People just don't have common sense these days, or just don't care.
Now that's a SUPERB one, Vin-tin I pick up on a lots of HUMOR at car shows by observation/socializing. The cars are just secondary, OH, & don't forget about the CHICKS & the guy that always brings his well behaved 4 small Dogs--They each have a MOST interesting HISTORY, that would rival some of the cars' HISTORIES!
Bill W.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #86
bobpo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
A Model T coil connected to the car body should get the job done.
What about the Ol' Fella with the PaceMaker and Defibrillator, Ouch..?!!?
bobpo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #87
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Skibb & '31,
I'm NOT a good WRITER, I jist write stuff as I SEE/INTERPRET it. The Dogs' LINGO, bad spelin', & poor GRAMMER rubs off on me. Sometimes he narrates stuff for me to TIPE--Sometimes on the phone, I'm thought to be YOUNG & full of PISS & VINEGAR, NOT a 79 1/2 year old!!
Hope y'all don't tire of my B.S, it's great therapy for me & cheeper than a SHRINK & I hope I have contributed some SERIOUS mechanical help/advice that I've lurned from EXPERIENCE & MANY GREAT "teachers", including my Dad, Chief, (RIP), who hooked me up to an ERA that I missed.
I only suggest help & advice that has worked for me, personally & the events that I portray, are TRUE! And, my Dog duz TALK! I know how to interpret his EVERY expression
Bill W.
Bill, Only a person who has been owned by a dog would understand this.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #88
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Bill, Only a person who has been owned by a dog would understand this.
To determine who is the ALPHA, stare at your Dog, eye to eye & whoever turns away FIRST, is the PEON!
We've stared "forever" at times & NO DICE! I ALMOST turned away , once, GLAD I DIDN'T! We have to wait for an outside NOISE, to mutually break the staring.
Bill W.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:29 AM   #89
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
I certainly didn't blame the kid in my situation. I blamed the idiot mother! One of the most enjoyable things I do is, when some teenager asks if they can take a picture of my car, is to tell them I can't allow that, but if they get in I will take their picture in my car. A few weeks ago a few of us were at the Richmond Virginia Holocost Museum. Some kids were there on a field trip. One of the girls asked me if she could take a picture of my car. I told her no, but if they would get in we would take their pictures. I had two girls in the front seat and two in the rumble seat. They will remember that for the rest of their lives!
Imagine if you left your car and came back to find this.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9a38c5acac3b47b931588f2d7fa47e65.jpg (34.6 KB, 58 views)
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #90
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
I was at a harvest festival last year and looked back to where my car was displayed. There was some teenager with the door open, climbing into it. I yelled and headed back there, whereupon some woman says to me "it's okay, I told him he could get in it." I looked at her and asked just who she was. "Oh, I'm his mother." I asked for her address. When she asked why I wanted it, I replied that I was heading over to her house with some friends to sit in her living room and have a few beers because "it's okay." If someone wants to sit in my car all they have to do is ask and I'll be happy to accommodate you and take pictures. All you have to do is ask.
People get especially stupid at events..Some how they think everything there has been put there to entertain them personally. Many people actually think that the old cars there are owned by the city or government and placed there to entertain the little darlings. If you go to such events just drive in the parade and then leave..do not leave you vehicle at the hands of people that think these are government owned exhibits for them to climb on.
Many years ago I went on a steam train excursion overnight and the 4-8-4 steam locomotive would stop along several places allowing people to get out..the train would backup and then come forward under high speed so that the people could take photos of the rushing steam engine. Wouldn't you know it that many over zealous customers would almost get run over by the train in an attempt to get a go picture.
Somehow there small minds told them that because they paid for the trip the engine could NOT hurt them even if they were on the tracks!!!

Last edited by FrankWest; 06-25-2015 at 10:52 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:12 AM   #91
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Imagine if you left your car and came back to find this.....
I would imagine I was in Heaven!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:42 AM   #92
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin-tin View Post
Better re-word that sign or you may end up with a 50 year old naked 300 lb bearded man sitting in your car.

Last edited by FrankWest; 06-24-2015 at 11:36 AM.