Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-30-2011, 07:49 AM   #41
sturgis 39

Default Re: Electronic ignitions

I think BSA motorcycles were made in Britain. All the hoodlums in my neighborhood had some kind of British motorcycle at some time. They were always working on them. The British cars were the same way. The British could not build anything that did not need constant attention. The key word is British! Ford Model "A"s are USA. (kind of rhymes)

I like Tom Wesenberg's reply.

It is your car and you can do anything you want to do to it. Just do not compare a Model "A" to your British made junk. LOL

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 04-30-2011 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Removed words like idiot, dumb, no clue, stupid, sbc, mustang ustang too, aluminum, trendy, more money than common sense
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 AM   #42
denis4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve s View Post
Denis,

Do you know what the most specific common errors are? I'm guessing failure to provide a good ground.

Steve
That's the main reason for electronic ignition failure. The second is trying to save a few bucks and not buying the correct coil. Too, leaving the ignition on for long periods of time when the engine is not running certainly is harmful.

Ironically, my project for next week is removing the computer controlled Q-jet carb and distributor on my '85 El Camino and replacing them with old school parts!
denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:07 AM   #43
vintage tin

The Model A ignition is very reliable. If you have a problem it can be fixed on the road. Electronic ignition cannot. I am running the original wiring in my 1952 Ford F1 6 volt system and original wiring and ignition in my Model A. I trust those more than my modern car. I guess I'm a 6 volt man in a 12 volt world. It can only be original once.
vintage tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:38 AM   #44
Ron Lachniet

I was in no way comparing BSA to Model A. I was just trying to say that it is more fun going for a ride if Murphy isn't in the back seat. Electronic ignition just sounded like fewer mechanical parts and no condencer so less problems. Since electronic ignition came out I have never had a single problem ignition like we had years ago. I think some new technology is at least worth considering.
Ron Lachniet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #45
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lachniet View Post
Wow, This opened a real can of worms. I only asked because when I was first married I bought a BSA motor cycle. I worked on that thing for eight hours so we could ride it for three. I then bought a honda and rode it trouble free for years. I love tinkering with things as much as the next guy but I would rather do it on my terms and not in a parking lot fifty miles from home. Thanks
LOL I know the feeling! When I first got out of the Army I bought a riding mower called POLARON, which was made in Michigan City, Indiana. I called that piece of junk my "FIX & MOW" because I had to fix for 6 hours to mow for 3 hours. The only part worth saving on that mower is the starter/generator because it is the same as the ones on my older Cub Cadets, which are real first class mowers.

BTW, to keep this Model A related I use my Cub Cadet to mow a path to my Model A garage. Also I like my trouble free original Model A with points and original coil with it's hot, blue 1/2" spark. If that spark was any hotter It might melt the center electrode.LOL
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #46
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Parker Toronto View Post
If it Makes Spark, we do it !!!!
www.bubbashotrodshop.com

"We also offer a new Mallory unit for the Model A curved for auto matic advance. Comes complete with new cap and rotor, single contact for $ 150."

Are you going to add it to your site and show us a picture?

Heres a pic of the unit we use. I take a industrial engine new mallory single point and machine and recurve for the Model T and Model A .
Have some being machined now will be ready for sale in a couple weeks ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_6686.jpg (46.6 KB, 25 views)
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote